Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

Calling all Bachelor of Oral Health (Dental Science) and Graduate Diploma of Dentistry. I am gunning to get into Griffith Dent next year on account of my so-so UMAT score (160) and relatively high GPA (6.75). My question to you is this, what is Griffith like as a place to study dent? Is there anything like messed up course content, lots of not so good lecturers and over-emphasis on SDL? I am asking because I do not know whether to take my chances with doing the UMAT next year to try for UQ Dent or just go into Griffith this year.

Calling all Bachelor of Oral Health (Dental Science) and Graduate Diploma of Dentistry. I am gunning to get into Griffith Dent next year on account of my so-so UMAT score (160) and relatively high GPA (6.75). My question to you is this, what is Griffith like as a place to study dent? Is there anything like messed up course content, lots of not so good lecturers and over-emphasis on SDL? I am asking because I do not know whether to take my chances with doing the UMAT next year to try for UQ Dent or just go into Griffith this year.

I personally would apply everywhere. The only difference with GU and other dent courses is that you dont start simulation clinic till second year. But besides that, it is a fully accredited dentistry course.

But besides that, it is a fully accredited dentistry course.

Which means you will graduate as a dentist at the end of it regardless, having the same skills as any other post grad dentist.

Not my field, but doesn't GU Dent have full-fee-paying years at the end? I think that'd be a pretty huge factor in deciding, but hey.

Yes that is true. I think the final two years cost 100k as it is a full fee graduate level course (though it still grants you the same thing as any of the other full undergraduate courses).

If finances are a difficulty, I would suggest deferring the Griffith placement for a year and retrying the UMAT for UQ or applying to say CSU or JCU or La Trobe.

The full fee years at the end of the Griffith dental course are ridiculous. If you get an offer at any other dental school you should preferentially take that. The bigger question is if you DONT get another spot should you still take Griffith? That's a difficult question as you will give yourself a huge FEE-HELP bill but you will qualify as a dentist a year earlier. You have to weight these things up.

Griffith dental students share a common year with the rest of the health cohorts (med sci, biomed, health sci, pharmacy, physio etc) called the Foundation Year of Health; there is one or two individualised courses for each degree type. Presumably this would be the reason that you wouldn't have practical clinic in the first year.

I am willing to undertake the +100k debt if it means doing dentistry. I just don't want to be 'half-cocked' as a dentist after graduating from Griffith where I may have had more clinical exposure doing dent at UQ. I have noted that Griffith Dent students only get 4 years of 'pure' dental teaching compared to the full 5 years at Griffith, that's made me a bit iffy.

I am willing to undertake the +100k debt if it means doing dentistry. I just don't want to be 'half-cocked' as a dentist after graduating from Griffith where I may have had more clinical exposure doing dent at UQ. I have noted that Griffith Dent students only get 4 years of 'pure' dental teaching compared to the full 5 years at Griffith, that's made me a bit iffy.
Remember post grad dent is 4 yrs. So Nothing to be iffy about. Griffith just has more foundation subjects. I would be more worries about the debt.

Even thou the last 2 years is full fee paying, isn't the first 3 years are cheaper than others? I thought that other Unis are around $9000 student distribution a year for 5 years CSP place, and GU is around $4500 for the first 3 years and then full fee paying?

The bigger question is if you DONT get another spot should you still take Griffith? That's a difficult question as you will give yourself a huge FEE-HELP bill but you will qualify as a dentist a year earlier. You have to weight these things up.

Griffith dental students share a common year with the rest of the health cohorts (med sci, biomed, health sci, pharmacy, physio etc) called the Foundation Year of Health; there is one or two individualised courses for each degree type. Presumably this would be the reason that you wouldn't have practical clinic in the first year.

Excellent point, it's a very tough decision indeed. If we estimate the FFP total as $100k, that's more than your average graduate would expect to take home at the end of his first year out. Based on that logic, you would assume refusing the GU offer and trying again for a CSP uni spot next year would be the way to go... However, you have to consider that every year you hold off enrolling, there'll be more and more competition for jobs. Already, the '13 cohort will be the first in QLD with graduates from 3 separate dental schools (luckily, that's the year after I graduate, heh). If stories I've heard from current higher-ups are anything to go by, people starting out are already juggling part-time jobs at 2-3 different private practices and being content with 3-4 day working weeks, just so they can stay close to home. Although it may considerably easier (and much more lucrative) to 'go bush', just keep in mind that job offerings in metro hotspots like Brisbane and the GC are tight as it is.

EDIT - Above paragraph was only really talking about private practice. I hear jobs in the public sector (with QLD Health) are somewhat easier to come by...

Also, foundation health year should be no excuse to delay (pre-)clinical exercises. I had three science subjects (taken with general science/med/pharm kiddies) and only one dental subject in my 1st year. They still found time to teach me Cl. I amalgam preps, impressions, saliva testing, fissure sealants/PRR's and wax carving. Admittedly saliva testing is pretty useless and I had my demonstrator do the majority of my wax work for me, but still...

Half-cocked...lol. Don't get too fussed about the year of 'pure' dental teaching you're missing out on. By and large, the real stuff doesn't start until 3rd year at all dental schools, when you actually start seeing patients. It'd probably be more beneficial to research how each school allocates clinical time in these years and how much individual patient exposure you'll actually get.

Even thou the last 2 years is full fee paying, isn't the first 3 years are cheaper than others? I thought that other Unis are around $9000 student distribution a year for 5 years CSP place, and GU is around $4500 for the first 3 years and then full fee paying?

I think you're right, but even so, GU works out to be considerably more expensive overall.

Last edited:
This thread is funny. Lemme get started by saying if you get in anywhere for dent, and you actually want to do it, accept it. Secondly, why so much fear about Griffith not being a "proper" Dental course - you think the Dental board has been conned, and Griffith students just buy their degrees. Sure enough, first year is feels like marking time, but when you hit second year and third year the dental related studies hit you with quite harsh intensity. You'll be complaining.
Lastly, i've heard rumours (which are just that, rumours for now) that Griffith will be removing those pesky full fee paying positions some time in the near future. Not for us who are going through now, but for the next cohort of two. Not sure when that's actually going to become a reality though. All talk atm. BUT, 100K compared to graduating a year earlier and finding a job.. I'd take the job. Once you have experience you are so much more employable.

I wouldn't put too much value on those rumours to be quite honest. No one knows where they originated from and Griffith hasn't said anything on it. At the moment I would assume the fees apply until Griffith says something directly on the matter.

As for finances, 100k debts arent an easy thing to accept for some people. I personally know some friends on GPA7s who have declined Griffith as they don't feel comfortable with that degree of debt. I doubt very much you will be able to earn 100k in your first year of dentistry practice (unless perhaps you go to the tips of Australia). In some instances, I feel one is better off just simply deferring Griffith to take a gap year. Unis like La Trobe have similarly high ATAR/GPA cutoffs as Griffith with only a small UMAT component for non-standards. In some situations, taking a gap year and reapplying may be a better course than simply accepting the debt. One just has to independantly assess their own situation and figure out whats best.

OKAY! On average, you will be paying $45K - $50K for a 5 year dental degree @ other universities.
You will prob be paying $75K - $80K @ Griffith, so to be honest there's only $30K difference here instead of the $100K debt ppl have been whining about!
Surely you can pay the small difference off in the first couple of years as a dentist! LOL!
And comon, some ppl like me will be happy enough to accept any uni who is willing to offer a place! -_-

EDIT: Sorry folks, major mathematical miscalculation here and led to some misunderstanding which wasn't my intention.

Last edited:
But the point is you have to pay it upfront. Thats a lot of money upfront..

OKAY! On average, you will be paying $45K - $50K for a 5 year dental degree @ other universities.
You will prob be paying $75K - $80K @ Griffith, so to be honest there's only $30K difference here instead of the $100K debt ppl have been whining about!
Surely you can pay the difference off in the first couple of years! LOL!
And comon, some ppl like me will be happy enough to accept any uni who is willing to offer a place! -_-

How do you figure that?

The CSP years (3 years at 9425) cost $28,275.

The Grad dip (2 years at 49,000) costs $98,000. Assuming this doesnt go up (it has gone up at least 1K every year)

Total $126,275

Most people will pay for the Grad Dip using fee help which adds another 20% bringing that grad dip to closer to 120,000.

So overall its a minimum 146,000ish plus CPI.

Relevant pages:
https://www130.griffith.edu.au/view/programFinderResults.php?programCode=4136
https://www17.griffith.edu.au/cis/p_cat/fees.asp?ProgCode=4136&FeeType:postgraduate
https://www130.griffith.edu.au/view/programFinderResults.php?programCode=1259
https://www.griffith.edu.au/tuition-fees-charges/domestic/commonwealth-supported

You have your sums wrong. Most dent schools that are 5 years long usually cost 9k per year = 45ish k. Griffith = 9k for the first 3 years + 50 k each for 2 years = 130ishk all up (and you have to pay that upfront),

You don't think mustering up 100ish k is a big deal? Newsflash: people have different socioeconomic backgrounds. Just because you can afford it doesnt mean other highly capable dent students can. Its a very legitimate concern to hold if you are poor. I hope you pause and have a think about other peoples situations before you label them as whiny. Im sure learning to display empathy and a perspective on other peoples circumstances is just an important a skill in dentistry as it is in medicine. I suggest you get some practice on that ....

Last edited:

$130 000 of debt is not something which many people can take lightly and certainly not something to 'LOL' at. You're obviously very fortunate that you would be able to pay for it however this isn't an option for some people. Even if you were able to manage a bank loan or FEE HELP to cover tuition, there is no way many people could easily pay it off in a few years. Don't forget that people still need to pay for housing, food, electricity etc. not to mention if they have family to support or a partner who may still be studying...

You have your sums wrong. Most dent schools that are 5 years long usually cost 9k per year = 45ish k. Griffith = 9k for the first 3 years + 50 k each for 2 years = 130ishk all up (and you have to pay that upfront),

You don't think mustering up 100ish k is a big deal? Newsflash: people have different socioeconomic backgrounds. Just because you can afford it doesnt mean other highly capable dent students can. Its a very legitimate concern to hold if you are poor. I hope you pause and have a think about other peoples situations before you label them as whiny. Im sure learning to display empathy and a perspective on other peoples circumstances is just an important a skill in dentistry as it is in medicine. I suggest you get some practice on that ....

$130 000 of debt is not something which many people can take lightly and certainly not something to 'LOL' at. You're obviously very fortunate that you would be able to pay for it however this isn't an option for some people. Even if you were able to manage a bank loan or FEE HELP to cover tuition, there is no way many people could easily pay it off in a few years. Don't forget that people still need to pay for housing, food, electricity etc. not to mention if they have family to support or a partner who may still be studying...

Hrmmm, my bad, I think I did get the sum wrong. :huh:

Hey, guys

I am really sorry that I calculated the sum wrong, and didn't check it properly before I post it!
Not intentionally trying to label or laugh at them or anything, I am not from a high socialeconomic background either.
Because I simply thought there's only a very minor difference in price due to the mathematical miscalculation and being very careless about it. But now when I recalculated, I do understand the $100k can be a big issue, and it's something I prob would have to reconsider too.
So, please don't personalise it and get offended on this, it wasn't my intention.
I'm truly sorry if you did and I didn't mean it. :cry:

qich0831

Last edited:
Hi qich0831, you can edit you posts with the 'EDIT' button on the bottom right of the post you want to edit, it will save you double posting. I have edited it for you. :)

Back