Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

Jnh

It’s never been part of their selection criteria before, so there’s no reason for us to think it would be added, but it’s not impossible. I’d think it won’t be added this year but we can’t make predictions beyond then.
From the Griffith dent degree page - Degrees

From 2022, admission to the Bachelor of Dental Health Science will be determined by the following three essential components:

1. Performance in the Universities Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT) - subject to final approval
  2. Performance in the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI)
  3. Academic attainment"

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor

From 2022, admission to the Bachelor of Dental Health Science will be determined by the following three essential components:

1. Performance in the Universities Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT) - subject to final approval
  3. Academic attainment"
Wow, some big (and welcome, in my opinion) changes!

tdnii

3. Academic attainment"
Thanks for sharing this.
Hopefully, this will bring down the GPA requirement a little bit.

Ian Naga

Retired Lurker

3. Academic attainment"
It will definitely bring down the required ATAR and allow more school leavers to enter the program directly as opposed to applying after studying an year or more of Uni.

I hear there are big changes coming to Griffith medicine as well, especially related to cost cutting (e.g merging Nathan/GC/SC, etc).

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I hear there are big changes coming to Griffith medicine as well, especially related to cost cutting (e.g merging Nathan/GC/SC, etc).
How would merging those campuses cut costs? The cost of a preclinical student at each campus would be very similar and not actually relevant to the medical school, I would think?

I should add: yes there have been major cost cutting actions taken place university wide - one of which has been a drastic pay cut for PBL facilitators in the medical school. I haven’t heard of merging the preclinical medical science students spread over the different campuses though.

A1

Rookie Doc
Wow, some big (and welcome, in my opinion) changes!

Shouldn't Griffith make the same changes to provisional Med? No sign of it yet.

I wonder if this means they are getting CSPs from the ADC

If they were to get CSPs it'd be from the federal government. ADC/AMC deal with the course curriculum & accreditation, not its financing side.

wgp

3. Academic attainment"
Hi, dose it apply in 2021 admission, candidates applying in 2021 to study in 2022.
thank you

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Hi, dose it apply in 2021 admission, candidates applying in 2021 to study in 2022.
thank you
From most terminology that they use, to me it seems that 2022 means the beginning of the course, ie. you apply in 2021 for admission in 2022 since you don't technically start your course until 2022.

wgp

From most terminology that they use, to me it seems that 2022 means the beginning of the course, ie. you apply in 2021 for admission in 2022 since you don't technically start your course until 2022.
It says from 2022, this means that the interview takes place in 2021 so they should say 2021.

Jnh

It says from 2022, this means that the interview takes place in 2021 so they should say 2021.
Yeah, I'm sure dates and process will be clarified in the year of application. This is just a heads up that it will be coming for 2022 admission.

It will definitely bring down the required ATAR and allow more school leavers to enter the program directly as opposed to applying after studying an year or more of Uni.
I agree, the current system heavily favours single year students and research degree holders, instead of favouring those actually suited to dentistry. The UCAT and interview will really level the playing field for all applicants.

Nee

Yeah, I'm sure dates and process will be clarified in the year of application. This is just a heads up that it will be coming for 2022 admission.

how can I confirm wether that applies for 2021 or not. Because I am going to start a new course next year so want to know wether I should or not.
Thanks

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
how can I confirm wether that applies for 2021 or not. Because I am going to start a new course next year so want to know wether I should or not.
Thanks

Taking the full description into context

"QTAC application information for 2021
Prerequisites: English, English as an Additional Language, Literature or English & Literature Extension (Units 3&4, C).
Assumed knowledge: One of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Mathematical Methods (Units 3&4, C).

Application information for 2022
From 2022, admission to the Bachelor of Dental Health Science will be determined by the following three essential components: ...
"

The 2021 describes the current application cycle although we are in 2020. Very likely 2022 means it's next year for 2022 intake.

VJC

Just a heads up - Griffith Uni have now introduced UCAT + mini interview with prev entry rank 99 - Full Fee paying postgrad still applies - doubt this will go down well for Griffith.

Application information for 2022

3. Academic attainment
Selection for entry to the Bachelor of Dental Health Science is a sequential three-stage process. Applicants will be selected for the interview based on their UCAT score. Minimum thresholds for each component must be met. The three weighted components will be combined and candidates will be ranked on their overall score

VJC

Care to elaborate on how adding a personalised component to the admissions criteria won’t go down well for Griffith?

Well - if I had to choose between a university with standardised entry requirements - I wouldn't choose the one that charged >$120k full fee paying for the masters component alone. Would you?