Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

HSFY 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hi everyone,

This thread is for students undertaking Health Science First Year (HSFY) at Otago University in 2020. This is a general chat thread. You can ask questions, you can make friends and you can rant.

We have a lot of technical information about HSFY on this forum, anything from halls of resident to textbook advice. Please do have a look around because your question has probably been answered already. We also have many regular members and staff members here, so they will be able to assist you with anything you are unsure about.

Good luck.

Hi,

For students that have done HSFY, what externals in NCEA did you guys find the most helpful during the year? I know that both physics and chemistry are already helpful but I didn't study for all the externals offered in those subjects. I neglected the electricty and organic chemistry external this year, do you guys recommend that I study the content over summer to prepare for HSFY? Just wondering what externals were most
helpful during HSFY, because I don't want to put my time into something I may not need in the future 🙃

thanks, x

Hi,

For students that have done HSFY, what externals in NCEA did you guys find the most helpful during the year? I know that both physics and chemistry are already helpful but I didn't study for all the externals offered in those subjects. I neglected the electricty and organic chemistry external this year, do you guys recommend that I study the content over summer to prepare for HSFY? Just wondering what externals were most
helpful during HSFY, because I don't want to put my time into something I may not need in the future 🙃

thanks, x

Hi kittyx,

This is a very commonly asked question. It is generally advised that you do not prepare for specific papers. This is mainly due to the fact that you don't really get ahead by doing this in comparison to the mental cost. The HSFY is extremely stressful and there is a lot of internal and external pressure. A lot of people burn out from doing this. Therefore it is a good idea to use the holiday to relax while you can. Once you start HSFY, it's go-go-go from day one.

In my opinion, the holiday can be best utilised by relaxing and enjoying life as much as possible. If you wish, you can work on general learning and studying habits, but I would not recommend studying for specific papers.

Personally for me, I studied before the start of health science for about a month, and I think it paid off for me. I studied specifically for HUBS191 and CELS191 only and used anki as my primary source of studying. I was ahead of most students and I felt that I was prepared by becoming familiar with the methods of studying.

Hi,

thanks, x
All of the physics externals were very helpful as PHSI191 covers waves (briefly), mechanics and electricity. Equilibrium / aqueous and organics are also essential, thermochemistry slightly less essential. I would personally have felt really behind if I didn't do these externals, would have had to have worked a lot harder.

Level 2 cells paper is the only real one with relevance to CELS191, and HUBS content isn't really covered in high school NCEA whatsoever. As others said above, I wouldn't recommend studying over the summer break, apart from maybe getting familiar with the UCAT because you won't have an awful lot of time to do that once HSFY starts picking up.

I just thought I should say a few things, given both the HSFY 2019 and HSFY 2020 threads have had a few posts regarding studying HSFY before HSFY.

It is not necessary.

It is not necessary to prepare for the content of HSFY. You would be better off working out your learning style, and devising study strategies to maximise your learning.

In my view, the challenge of HSFY is not actually the content, but the fact that you're at university. You will likely be away from friends and family (and have to make new friends - not helped by the competitive setting), and you are in a university-type education situation. You generally don't have a "teacher" to give you individual attention or come around chasing you up if you haven't kept up. At university, you are responsible for your own learning; help is available but you have to ask for it - there isn't someone that's going to check up on you daily to make sure you've done your "homework".

Each "paper" you do (4 in the first semester, and 3-4 in the second) is a separate entity, with its own programme of lectures, labs/tutorials, assessments, etc. The programme will run at the same speed regardless of where you're at, whether you're keeping up, and whether you were drinking the night before and too hung over to concentrate on the lecture. Speaking of "drinking the night before", at university you are also in a university-type social situation. As part of being away from family, many of you will taste "freedom" for the first time - the ability to decide to go out with friends and not study tonight, and that freedom can be quite dangerous if you overindulge.

You may also end up with a fair amount of time between classes - you might have an 8am lecture, then an 11am lecture, a 1pm lecture, and a 5pm lecture (that's what I used to have in first semester all those years ago - 8am HUBS, 11am CELS, 1pm CHEM, 5pm PHSI), and what you do inbetween those lectures is entirely up to you. It's a lot easier to say "oh I'll have an extended coffee break and then watch some YouTube for a while before the next lecture" than to hunker down and go over the lecture you've just had and make notes for it - and over an entire academic year, all those extended coffee breaks might be costing you your place in medical school.

[Disclaimer: below HSFY commentary based on my experience of HSFY in 2011, things may not necessarily be the same now, although I'd imagine it to be reasonably similar now - perhaps with improvements.]

Classes wise, for each "paper" (subject) you have generally 4 weekly lectures (so 16 lectures a week between your 4 papers), and one lab session every two weeks (so roughly two labs a week between your 4 papers) if I'm remembering right. The lectures are 50-min lectures where the lecturer has a 45-50min presentation to give, and they aren't stopping for you if you couldn't keep up or got distracted. You do however get the lecture slides (the powerpoint presentation itself), and they record the lecture on audio and/or video for you to play back later.

The lab sessions are meant to be 3 hours long, generally with mandatory preparation beforehand. Once inside you could expect some further explanation/exploration of content covered in lectures, and some practical elements (chem labs feature experiments, for example) to help you learn/contextualize the same content.

[End of Cathay's "recounting HSFY 2011" ramble]

My recommendation to you, during the summer holidays, is to figure out how you learn best. Take some learning-styles quizzes, figure out a system for studying - is it extended written notes that work for you, or mind maps and similar diagrammatic stuff? Do you learn better by reading something on paper, or listening to someone tell you something? (I learn much better by listening than reading dense textbooks, so attending lectures was essential for me.) Or do you have to say things out loud over and over to remember them? Will you keep laptop/tablet-typed notes, or hand-written ones? Do you need to buy a laptop/tablet/etc for uni?

I guess what I'm saying is, you would be better served figuring out how you learn best, and working out how you'll go about "studying" (the most nebulous word in uni), than you would trying to learn the content. It also pays to set up a system for how you will spend your time - it pays to use time efficiently. I'll give an example of how I used to spend my day during HSFY below:

During HSFY I lived off-campus, so I used to force myself to be at uni from 8am to 6pm, and I used the time inbetween lectures to study - go over the lecture I've just come out of, print out the lecture slides, type up my own notes using the slides and my hand-written notes taken inside the lecture. Then if I get to the end of my attention span I would switch to something else like lab prep, or go over notes for a different subject. In this way, I made sure that I made notes and kept up with every lecture on the same day, never falling behind, for if you fall behind, it's a hell of a task catching up while keeping up with new content - I caught the flu once in second semester, and missed a day's lectures, and with 4 new lectures a day it took me most of a week to be back on top of things.

Admittedly I didn't actually study much in the evenings (that's when I spent time on MSO!), and only made a half-arsed effort in the weekends. But by making full use of what I used to call my "work day", I only really needed to work hard in evenings and weekends leading up to tests and exams; and on the flip side, because my "work days" were fully utilized and my evenings/weekends were cruisy, when it came time for tests and exams, I had big chunks of extra time I could devote to them - which I wouldn't have had if I wasted away the hour gap here and two-hour gap there during the day and worked hard in the evenings.

(Oh, how I wish I'd kept up the same study habits in med school. I still insist to this day that HSFY is the hardest I have ever worked.)

Hi!

Just adding some updates and thoughts on Cathay's post. In 2019, the amount of lectures per week for all HSFY core papers was 3, not 4 and I assume this will continue next year : ) Apparently they also put some sort of "maximum slide cap" on the lectures but I have no idea what that was.

I also agree that the summer is a good time to "learn how you learn" best, but in reality you won't know for sure until you get into the swing of things in HSFY. Most people start off studying one way, find that it isn't working for them and completely change their strategy. The same thing goes for typed or written notes, most people start off trying both of them out once HSFY actually starts and pick the one that works for them and is the most practical. The first 1-2 weeks of the year are relatively low on content (although it won't feel like it at the time) and are a good time to sort these things out : )

I know everyone says it, but make sure you take some time out for yourself away from study each day, even if this is just 30 minutes doing something you enjoy. If you don't, it's very easy to fall into a dark place mentally (as I had to learn the hard way) and can negatively affect your study. Make the most of living in a hall (if you are) and get to know the people around you!

I also agree that the summer is a good time to "learn how you learn" best, but in reality you won't know for sure until you get into the swing of things in HSFY. Most people start off studying one way, find that it isn't working for them and completely change their strategy. The same thing goes for typed or written notes, most people start off trying both of them out once HSFY actually starts and pick the one that works for them and is the most practical. The first 1-2 weeks of the year are relatively low on content (although it won't feel like it at the time) and are a good time to sort these things out : )
Indeed! I had an overly ambitious plan about doing pre-readings etc for lectures, and that went out the window within 2-3 weeks 🤣

Those first couple of weeks of HSFY will be a relatively safe space to experiment a bit and change up your strategy if it's not working (too hard to maintain, etc).

The essential message though, which got lost in my 1000+ word wall of text, was that you don't actually need to do much during summer holidays. Don't pre-stress for HSFY by pre-studying and stuff. I'll reiterate that for the most part, it's not the difficulty of the content, but the volume and pace that is the struggle. Between the unyielding pace with which the course will move, and the significant independence and lack of supervision you will suddenly gain by going from high school to uni, it is easy to fall behind and hard to catch up, but that's something you cope with by having discipline and keeping in good habits during HSFY.

Relax during the summer holidays, and work hard once in HSFY. (And definitely don't pre-stress about UCAT after what we learned about the threshold 🤣)

However I think it depends on how motivated the person is or what their goals are. I was extremely motivated to be the best I can and in fact I enjoyed studying to a certain degree, almost like a hobby. I really wanted to get into medicine and I had eyes only on the prize. Thus I promised myself that I would look at all the previous lecture slides, anki them, and come to health science feeling confident of taking on the difficult task of both revision and studying. Try studying and if you think you are not being productive or not enjoying it at all, then you can stop.

However I think it depends on how motivated the person is or what their goals are. I was extremely motivated to be the best I can and in fact I enjoyed studying to a certain degree, almost like a hobby. I really wanted to get into medicine and I had eyes only on the prize. Thus I promised myself that I would look at all the previous lecture slides, anki them, and come to health science feeling confident of taking on the difficult task of both revision and studying. Try studying and if you think you are not being productive or not enjoying it at all, then you can stop.
Disclaimer: I haven’t done HSFY. This is just my 2c on studying over one’s holidays, of which you are free to disagree with me!

I would be careful suggesting that those who don’t study during their holidays are less motivated than those that do (perhaps this wasn’t the meaning behind your post, but it could be read that way). This is a generally debated topic, and the most experienced almost always lean to the side of “don’t pre-study during your holidays” for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to future burnout, inefficiency, and not actually knowing the specific content one should be studying until they start the year (resulting in a potentially large waste of time and effort).

Of course it is up to the individual to decide, but it’s important not to push that one way is the best way or draw links between how motivated one is to get into medicine and pre-studying during the holidays.

This is a generally debated topic, and the most experienced almost always lean to the side of “don’t pre-study during your holidays” for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to future burnout, inefficiency, and not actually knowing the specific content one should be studying until they start the year

I have to agree with you on that one. My thoughts are that studying during the break won't make a difference; odds are, if you can do well enough to get into your desired course, then you'll be able to do it anyway without the extra study. The burnout risk, in general, is not worth it in exchange for having wrote-learned a few extra things which you may forget anyway by the time you reach exams, and which will be easy to pick up on during the year. Despite what people say, there's definitely enough time throughout the semester to learn plenty of the content, provided you are efficient. As Cathay said, the first few weeks of the semester is the perfect time to try and work towards finding an efficient way to study, which you can really only figure out once you are in the uni environment.

Enjoy the holidays! HSFY is a next-year problem...

I did HSFY in 2018 and while I know it has changed a bit since then, do feel free to flick me a message if you have any questions you think I can help with :) all the best to the new cohort!!

Disclaimer: I haven’t done HSFY. This is just my 2c on studying over one’s holidays, of which you are free to disagree with me!

I would be careful suggesting that those who don’t study during their holidays are less motivated than those that do (perhaps this wasn’t the meaning behind your post, but it could be read that way). This is a generally debated topic, and the most experienced almost always lean to the side of “don’t pre-study during your holidays” for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to future burnout, inefficiency, and not actually knowing the specific content one should be studying until they start the year (resulting in a potentially large waste of time and effort).

Of course it is up to the individual to decide, but it’s important not to push that one way is the best way or draw links between how motivated one is to get into medicine and pre-studying during the holidays.

Not to mention that, for some people, the holidays are the time they need to work to support themselves/their families, provide care for others, etc. Pre-study can be impossible for those people but that doesn’t at all reflect on, or affect, their motivation to do well or eventually study medicine.

It can be problematic and unrealistic to link pre-study to motivation, or, indeed, motivation to success in getting an offer. ‘Want it bad enough and you’ll get it’ just isn’t an adage that rings true in this instance, and does more harm than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back