Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

HSFY 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, is there a forum for the Med Class of 2025? I need to ask some questions, such as when do we get out timetables for ELM2...

No.

I highly recommend asking in the fb group page instead. At least there, the admins from the upper years can possibly answer your question rather than in MSO where I doubt they are active on.

One was the past exam paper given during summer school and one was a past exam paper given in semester one.

They can't be the same or else everyone would get perfect marks similar to how an exam paper in 2020 cannot be the exact same as an exam paper in 2019.

For the sake of wanting to cover everything and testing your knowledge, you can do both since it's still the same paper. Chem just has summer school for students that fail chem in HSFY and want to retake the paper to pass it but the same content is still taught so the final exams should still be similar.
Hey guys pretty noob question here but,
what’s the difference between The semester 1 (S1) and Summer school (SS) past papers on the University website for some hsfy papers. (I.e. are both relevant to study for the Hsfy papers ?)

(chem191 for instance has both Summer school and Sem 1 past papers for each year listed on the library website)
Hey I have a question, So I didn't take physics level 2 but I really want to do HSFY and continue with med after. i am in level 3 and i chose level 3 physics and I am finding it so hard to do. I would like some advice about if I should level 2 physics instead but i am scared that I won't have enough credits to pass level 3. My other subjects are chem, bio, stats and accouting all at level 3. i urgently needs some advice before it is too late. thankss

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I have a question, So I didn't take physics level 2 but I really want to do HSFY and continue with med after. i am in level 3 and i chose level 3 physics and I am finding it so hard to do. I would like some advice about if I should level 2 physics instead but i am scared that I won't have enough credits to pass level 3. My other subjects are chem, bio, stats and accouting all at level 3. i urgently needs some advice before it is too late. thankss
They teach the papers from a fundamental level at first and then move on to the harder stuff. I didn't take physics at school and still managed to get a good score in the 90's. By doing physics level 2 or 3 I'd say you're already at an advantage.

Hey guys, could any one from a previous hsfy cohort recommended when to sit the ucat , I.e in first week of July or later on. I’m aware that Sem 2 begins after the 2nd ish week so I’m not too sure when to choose. I want to have adequate time to do some ucat prep as well but don’t want to hinder my Sem 2 papers

Hey guys, could any one from a previous hsfy cohort recommended when to sit the ucat , I.e in first week of July or later on. I’m aware that Sem 2 begins after the 2nd ish week so I’m not too sure when to choose. I want to have adequate time to do some ucat prep as well but don’t want to hinder my Sem 2 papers
I sat mine the last possible day. If you are diligent with practice over the holidays the extra week or so of booking it later aren't going to help you that much, so maybe better to get it out of the way earlier. That being said, it takes a while for lectures to ramp up so I don't think I felt behind or overly stressed with the later booking.

wait, what? the cut off was 83% 2 years ago, is this with the UCAT?

I think the year you are talking about was with UMAT and I think the last person that got in off the waitlist had that grade. The direct entry cutoff would have been higher. I hear there was a mistake that year where they took in way too many people by accident.

But fact of the matter is, the cutoff this year is higher than in previous years. It usually increases every year but the jump could be due to the COVID grade bump, more people going for dent than in previous years etc etc.

I think the year you are talking about was with UMAT and I think the last person that got in off the waitlist had that grade. The direct entry cutoff would have been higher. I hear there was a mistake that year where they took in way too many people by accident.

But fact of the matter is, the cutoff this year is higher than in previous years. It usually increases every year but the jump could be due to the COVID grade bump, more people going for dent than in previous years etc etc.
damn, that is almost 100% then. I had a question, how do most people study for the ucat?

damn, that is almost 100% then. I had a question, how do most people study for the ucat?

The official website for UCAT has some decent questions and guidelines.
Honestly, don't stress about UCAT since the threshold to pass it is quite low - focus more on your grades.

Worry about UCAT around 6 weeks before your actual UCAT exam. Heck, I only spent 3 weeks doing some questions online (the official website has a question bank and practice tests for this + you can google stuff) and managed to do quite well in it.

There's lots of UCAT chat in the UCAT-specific threads. A good place to ask questions and keep each other motivated (though it does seem to count for a fair bit more in Aus, so the NZ crew may not find this too useful yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back