Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Med/Dent Interview Preparation

Skarzin

Monash Med III
Hey guys!! Havent been on this page for a long time.

First of all, to everyone who got an interview place, Congratulations !! :).

Anyways I'm seeing a lot of apprehensive students thinking about the interview and how to answer varying types of questions. To try and alleviate some of the stress, I have some preparation material that I am willing to share if you would like some extra preparation. Just PM me if you want the material.

PS BTW I'm on holidays so if you have any questions, you can ask me.

Skarzin

Monash Med III
Oh and BTW for everyone who requested the prep

Please don't monetize the information. These were obtained from other people that have shared their questions and full credit for the information goes to them. After your interviews you can do one of three things.

1. Throw it out
2. Pass it on to others appropriately
3. Reuse them for personal use (which I hope doesnt occur)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
To Request Interview Prep Materials...

To prevent this thread just becoming a list of people requesting PMs from the generous Skarzin: if you would like to take up the offer of interview prep materials, please PM Skarzin directly, or, if you are unable, please LIKE this post and Skarzin will initiate a conversation with you.

Nycryte, nickzub, kimjongun, and FelixK are current requestors.

K-Dawgz would also like to take you up on the offer, Skarz.

And onthesunway ([email protected])

Taiga (Nov 21)

EDITED 02/11/2018: please note this post is from 12 months ago. I can not guarantee that Skarzin continues to check the 'likes' or is even particularly frequent as a MSO visitor anymore.

UPDATE 16/11/2018: Skarzin has created new post here: General Interview Discussion 2018

Last edited:

Skarzin

Monash Med III
To Request Interview Prep Materials...

To prevent this thread just becoming a list of people requesting PMs from the generous Skarzin: if you would like to take up the offer of interview prep materials, please PM Skarzin directly, or, if you are unable, please LIKE this post and Skarzin will initiate a conversation with you.

Nycryte, nickzub, kimjongun, and FelixK are current requestors.

Lifesaver <3

Q3

I have to say this is such a different feeling to doing any last minute assignment or taking any exam.

A1

Rookie Doc
Though too late for this year, if you are applying next year and looking for ways of volunteering I can recommend the Event Health Services
http://stjohn.org.au/volunteers
Providing first aid and health services at public events and during emergencies.

If you are aged 8-18 years you are invited to join our Cadets program. St John Ambulance Cadets provide event health services to their community while developing valuable life skills - first aid, teamwork, management and leadership - just to name a few.

If you are aged 18 years or over you can join as an Adult Member. The majority of our Adult Members are involved in delivering First Aid, First Responder and Advanced Responder services at public events and during emergencies.

I'm now qualified after 6 weekends of training and two thorough assessments. I'm not required to be available all the time, only look up the schedule of events coming up and register for the ones I can do. Have also been trained to drive an ambulance but only to drive it from depot to the event, not real ambulance runs. Still it's fun to see other drivers keeping well away from me even without the siren on :)

Ruffle

Puffle
Emeritus Staff
Though too late for this year, if you are applying next year and looking for ways of volunteering I can recommend the Event Health Services
http://stjohn.org.au/volunteers

I'm now qualified after 6 weekends of training and two thorough assessments. I'm not required to be available all the time, only look up the schedule of events coming up and register for the ones I can do. Have also been trained to drive an ambulance but only to drive it from depot to the event, not real ambulance runs. Still it's fun to see other drivers keeping well away from me even without the siren on :)
Did you find the application/training process quite smooth? When I tried to join last year, it took ~2 months to even get my application sorted, since nobody seemed to know what the cadets were doing haha.
Hopefully this time around will be smoother though! Quite looking forwards to becoming a full fledged cadet finally :D

A1

Rookie Doc
Did you find the application/training process quite smooth? When I tried to join last year, it took ~2 months to even get my application sorted, since nobody seemed to know what the cadets were doing haha.
Hopefully this time around will be smoother though! Quite looking forwards to becoming a full fledged cadet finally :D

I applied to join as an Adult Member so maybe different to Cadet. The application didn't take long to get a response what took time was the 2-month wait to be slotted into a training course. After that it went smoothly.

faysapprentice

just wondering - how do you practice interview questions without sounding rehearsed? especially for why med and that
Im really hesitant to prepare esp because I dont want to cock up by sounding rehearsed

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
just wondering - how do you practice interview questions without sounding rehearsed? especially for why med and that
Im really hesitant to prepare esp because I dont want to cock up by sounding rehearsed

By practicing your interview technique. One way to do this is to practice answering questions that you haven't prepared answers to (for example, what I would do is have someone ask me questions that I know exist but I haven't prepared yet; you can then prepare for the question after).

For example, here's an out of the blue question:
"Why do you think medical students have such high rates of mental illness? How will you manage in medicine if you were to get a mental illness?"

nickzub

Just dot-point it, and say this is a question you have thought a lot about. The 'why medicine' question is often one of the less important ones because the interviewers are more than aware that 99% of applicants to a medical degree will prepare that question.

Q3

Did your jmp interview finish earlier than the given times or can we expect to be there for that duration?

Mel99

Did your jmp interview finish earlier than the given times or can we expect to be there for that duration?
I had my MSA before the PQA. They allocate more time than needed for PQA. I finished approx 2 hours early.

Nycryte

UTAS MBBS I
I had pqa then msa but i still finished an hour early and i was the very first set of interviews so they've probably gotten a bit more efficient since.

keogh13

WSU MBBS II
I had mine on Tuesday and finished at 3, but they said they usually finish at 4:30 and the extra time is allowed for emergencies