• MSO wishes all applicants the best of luck in the UCAT!
    Remember, it is important not to post content about specific questions until this season is over (feel free to message a moderator about questions that we can collate later) but we would love to hear about your experiences and results!
    Cheers, Mana
    P.S. you can't dismiss this message

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Otago HSFY chat - archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimbus2000

Yea it wasn't too bad, better than expected! :)

On another note: @nimbus, what a badass, being one of the few to leave early :O
:D LOL, though I must add, I left because I knew there was no point staring at the GLM questions hoping that I would somehow have a magic moment and just *know* the answer [OFFTOPIC]I am only a broomstick afterall, cannot actually command any magic myself :([/OFFTOPIC]... I did recheck my answers for the rest though, i thought the full 75 minutes was far too much time for 50 questions! (And also, i thought the test was only 45 minutes long :L and i told my mum I would be home by 10:45 XD)

The average fart weighs roughly three hundredths of a gram.
[OFFTOPIC]Since this is too epic.[/OFFTOPIC]

musica209

Deuce.
IIRC this year everyone with surnames starting with like, A-K or something like that went on one day, and everyone else went on the next day, and I think we got told that if you went on the wrong day you'd get turned away.
I made those letters up hahaha. It is probably A-M or so though, either way you'll definitely be on the first day. If course confirmation is on the 15th for you you'll still be fine, it's open til like 5pm or so I think :) and if you miss it I think you can go on the third day, that's the catch up day for people who miss their proper course confirmation day.
My flight actually got changed so I arrive on the 18th... Looks like I'll be going on the catch-up day anyway! Are there usually massive as queues on this day? (Not that I have a choice, but just asking so I know what time I should go...)

Nimbus2000

My flight actually got changed so I arrive on the 18th... Looks like I'll be going on the catch-up day anyway! Are there usually massive as queues on this day? (Not that I have a choice, but just asking so I know what time I should go...)
I wouldn't think there would be! But just in case, try to go around just before lunch time, or just after lunch time (if the time is still the same as the non-catch-up days)... I went at around 1pm~ish and only had to wait like 10 minutes!

Good luck for HSFY next year! :D

musica209

Deuce.
I wouldn't think there would be! But just in case, try to go around just before lunch time, or just after lunch time (if the time is still the same as the non-catch-up days)... I went at around 1pm~ish and only had to wait like 10 minutes!

Good luck for HSFY next year! :D
That's awesome! Thanks for the advice :)

Proshot

Hey guys, funny question really. For all the people doing their Maori essay would you add a macron to the word kumara? and would I need to italise it and give a definition that it was a sweet potato? :p

hardwork

no you dont. i did that and they corrected me in my 1st essay

UMAT SCORES ARE OUT

That was what I dreamt of last night. I remembered dreaming that I got a bad UMAT score and apparently I was crying and screaming out loud in my sleep :cry: cos floor buddies had to wake me.

Last edited by a moderator:

greenglacier

Emeritus MSO Staff
Emeritus
scariest first line of a post ever
Agreed. [MENTION=14748]hardwork[/MENTION], please try to avoid posting stuff like that which gets people a bit panicked. UMAT results are out soon and those members who sat it are naturally a bit tense about it.

Also, for future reference, we don't like double-posting on this site - please try to use the edit button.

scariest first line of a post ever
My heart just skipped a beat.

Also, I would have macrons and define kumara. It is a Maori word and I would think that few people outside of New Zealand would know what it was. I don't see why you'd be penalised for having it in there.

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus
Dw, as soon as UMAT is out, you will find out. MSO goes crazy.

Cathay

Med Student Turned Train Driver
Emeritus
UMAT SCORES ARE OUT

That was what I dreamt of last night. I remembered dreaming that I got a bad UMAT score and apparently I was crying and screaming out loud in my sleep :cry: cos floor buddies had to wake me.
Just for future reference, it'd cause a lot less panic if you started with "I dreamed last night that..." instead.

Panic is the last thing we want here at MSO, and I think it'd be fair to say that both the actual mods and the NZ Forum Tidy-Uppers would appreciate it if our members could pause and think about what they're doing before they post something that might cause others to panic unnecessarily. Something like "UMAT SCORES ARE OUT" is fine if the UMAT results are in fact out, and as of right now, they're not.

I guess what I'm saying is please ask yourself "is this going to mislead people and cause panic?" before you post something like this next time. Thank you.

Last edited:

sunny123

Anyone notice the different wording for what's assessable in the terms tests for HUBS? First test was GLM material related to the lecture material, this time it says GLM 2 material, guessing we need to actually know stuff not presented in the lectures this time?

epikness

Anyone notice the different wording for what's assessable in the terms tests for HUBS? First test was GLM material related to the lecture material, this time it says GLM 2 material, guessing we need to actually know stuff not presented in the lectures this time?
You have 25 multiple guesses to go through in the upcoming terms test so that's not a particularly large number to distribute the content over. I wouldn't fret too much. But look out for a question or two that is "GLM 2 related". This is how I looked at it previously when I did HSFY and it wasn't exactly detrimental to me.

dnzlcuz

How do i email them my Final atar by the 10th of december... when the atar comes out on the 19th?

I cant be bothered searching through 101 pages... but what is the ATAR cutoff + umat cutoff for HSFY?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam

¿umm?
Uh, it's like low 80s or something like that. No UMAT requirement for HSFY entrance, UMAT is needed for med/dent which comes after HSFY

DeGraet

I'm currently doing NCEA level 3. After reading a couple of posts about how CIE is more beneficial for HSFY, I'm pretty keen to find out what CIE chem and bio cover. So long story short, does anyone know where I could get some study materials for CIE chem and bio to get a better grounding for HSFY? NCEA level 3 chem and bio seem quite simple and I am pretty confident in them.

Also, does anyone have old HSFY lecture slides / notes / course outlines / etc that I could possibly get? (Please don't give that lecture about wasting holidays studying, I've read it around here millions of times, and just want to know what it's like.)

One more thing, any tips for long term UMAT preping?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.