Quick Questions 2021/2022

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Generally non standard selection will just take the transcript at face value and so you will have a 6.5 for those unis you listed above

I’m not sure how graduate entry medicine programs would consider it. My guess is that as long as it makes up no more than 37.5% of courses you should be fine, as they will probably count it as ungraded pass/fails subjects (off which they ignore if it’s less than 37.5%)

I am currently a first-year nursing student looking to get into Medicine next year (2022) as I missed out on 2021. My ATAR was 95.05 and UCAT was 2260, which wasn't very good. I have quite a few questions that I can't find answers to.

I am not enjoying nursing that much and want to drop it. The issue is, I am unmotivated to do my assignments because the content and the assessments are quite boring, and I am afraid I won't get a high enough GPA. If I do this, will Unis look at my ATAR, considering I don't have a GPA yet? Or would my ATAR be 'cancelled' because I have started Uni?

So here are my thoughts:
Drop nursing, study the UCAT and use my ATAR??

Drop nursing, pick up BioMed at Mid-year intake and do UCAT, but will Unis accept my GPA for only half a year?

Or stay in nursing and try to persist and get a GPA and reapply?

Cheers everyone

A1

Admissions Speculator
If I do this, will Unis look at my ATAR, considering I don't have a GPA yet?

JMP : Whether you drop Nursing or switch to BioMed you won't have 1 full year of a study program. As such JMP will use your ATAR 95.05 which is good enough.

WSU uses either ATAR or GPA but your ATAR isn't high enough so you will need a GPA. If you drop Nursing completely you're out. Switching to BioMed for one semester you'll need BioMed GPA 6.4. Complete full year of Nursing you need GPA 6.1 or 6.2 (I don't remember which).

UNSW & JCU : Neither looks viable with your ATAR or GPA the way you describe. Even if you do really well in BioMed, it's only one semester so the GPA conversion to ATAR rank is very poor.

(The above is for non-rural/non-GWS. If you are GWS your ATAR is also good for WSU regardless of Nursing/BioMed GPA. If rural you can be competitive for UNSW/JCU).

Crow

Medical Student
Emeritus Staff
I am currently a first-year nursing student looking to get into Medicine next year (2022) as I missed out on 2021. My ATAR was 95.05 and UCAT was 2260, which wasn't very good. I have quite a few questions that I can't find answers to.

I am not enjoying nursing that much and want to drop it. The issue is, I am unmotivated to do my assignments because the content and the assessments are quite boring, and I am afraid I won't get a high enough GPA. If I do this, will Unis look at my ATAR, considering I don't have a GPA yet? Or would my ATAR be 'cancelled' because I have started Uni?

So here are my thoughts:
Drop nursing, study the UCAT and use my ATAR??

Drop nursing, pick up BioMed at Mid-year intake and do UCAT, but will Unis accept my GPA for only half a year?

Or stay in nursing and try to persist and get a GPA and reapply?

Cheers everyone
Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants Good reading.

Hey guys,
When do we usuallly start applying for unis and how do we know whether to apply through the uac website or on their actual website
(even if we havent gotten our ATAR yet)?

flynnscrivo72

Hey guys,
When do we usuallly start applying for unis and how do we know whether to apply through the uac website or on their actual website
I recommend you search up each uni and look for their dates and if they are through different centres (for example UAC or VTAC). I’m not a moderator but I think the moderators would say to search them up yourself because you wouldn’t want to rely on someone else’s information where it is so important to make sure it’s accurate. And also go through each uni your applying to and see if you have to apply to their site as well. And if it doesn’t say definitely confirm it by calling them.

Hey guys,
I know that QTAC doesn't open until August and so I assume the same for the rest of them. And most applications for med are due september

flynnscrivo72

I know that QTAC doesn't open until August and so I assume the same for the rest of them. And most applications for med are due september
UAC opened 1st of April but all the others open in August (but again it is definitely worth it to search it up serena2384) and make sure to call them as sometimes they can give you more info in regards to changing admission process (for example some med courses aren't on UAC yet as their admissions process may be changing (JPM program)) this is the case for latrobe as well.

flynnscrivo72

UAC opened 1st of April but all the others open in August (but again it is definitely worth it to search it up serena2384) and make sure to call them as sometimes they can give you more info in regards to changing admission process (for example some med courses aren't on UAC yet as their admissions process may be changing (JPM program)) this is the case for latrobe as well.
*JPM may be changing but just saw that it is being released on 1st of August on UAC. But JMP and a couple other med degrees are on UAC now.

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
Hey Gary, did you happen to graduate from Queensland in 2021? If so, what TEA score (your 5 subjects scaled-scores added up) did you have to achieve to get that 97.55? Thanks!
2021 graduates haven’t graduated yet.

cocodreams

I was reading the thread regarding the out of cost pockets, is that for every undergrad medicine or dent course in Australia?

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
I was reading the thread regarding the out of cost pockets, is that for every undergrad medicine or dent course in Australia?
Please post your question in that thread so we know what you’re talking about. Thanks.

cocodreams

Yes, it’s around $12k (student contribution) per year. The government pick up the rest of the tab for CSPs and BMPs.
I was referring to these replies about student contribution (out of pocket costs). I believe we don't have to pay upfront and that they are covered by HECS-Help which can be paid off when we start working? Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Last edited:

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
I was referring to these replies about student contribution (out of pocket costs). I believe we don't have to pay upfront and that they are covered by HECS-Help which can be paid off when we start working? Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Yes, that’s correct.

2xq

Allied Health Member
Sorry I'll rephrase. What score is commonly received that results in an interview offer
Scores are highly dependent on the cohort of that year. If you're asking a question like this now, take a breather king. Wait till percentiles are released. There will be an opportunity then to ask about it then.