Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT Results Discussion 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
The chem prereqs will make them ineligible for Adelaide and UTAS. Otherwise they’re good. They might be able to do a bridging course in the holidays if they prefer the cold and would rather be at UTAS.

UCAT is likely too low for UTAS anyway (or any UCAT uni). As long as Griffith, USyd, and UMelb don’t need it... all good!

Scorpion

Applying for: Medicine
Application Type: School Leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.95
UCAT Percentile Rank: 83
VR: 650
DM: 740
QR: 700
AR: 720
Total: 2810
SJ: 574
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR): 679.4
Current State: NSW
Applying to: USYD, UNSW, Joint Med (UoN), Flinders, UAdel, UTas, (idk about Bond)
Rural Applicant: no
GWS Applicant: no
Indigenous Applicant: no
Other: nope
Specific Question: My sister already goes to Bond Uni for Med and I don't want to put a massive financial strain on my dad, does anyone know alternative funding methods if I consider going there?
Are there any other Unis I should consider with my UCAT/ATAR? - Also I didn't do chem or bio... big rip :(
Flinders is likely also on the table if you get that 99.95

Scorpion

Isn't UTAS a 50%ile threshold then ATAR?
Technically yes, but because there are so many interstate non-rural applicants to fill not many places, there are too many 99.95 ATAR applicants who meet the 50%ile threshold (at least there were last year). Since they don't do an interview, UTAS then has to use UCAT as a secondary ranking, meaning very high UCATs are still required unless you are local or rural.

A1

Rookie Doc
Technically yes, but because there are so many interstate non-rural applicants to fill not many places, there are too many 99.95 ATAR applicants who meet the 50%ile threshold (at least there were last year). Since they don't do an interview, UTAS then has to use UCAT as a secondary ranking, meaning very high UCATs are still required unless you are local or rural.

An unusual event happened last year at UTas, according to LMG! 20 of 2019 Y1 students failed the year thus repeating Y1 in 2020. Consequently UTas cut 2020 intake by 20 and they may have decided to cut largely from the interstate offers.

fluffyboy

BMS/MD I
The chem prereqs will make them ineligible for Adelaide and UTAS. Otherwise they’re good. They might be able to do a bridging course in the holidays if they prefer the cold and would rather be at UTAS.
I thought Adelaide only required one of Biology (SL grade 4/HL grade 3) or Chemistry (SL grade 4/HL grade 3) or Mathematics (SL grade 4/HL grade 3)

Mod note: answered
Applying for:
Medicine and Dentistry
Application Type: non-standard
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 98.35, 6.5 GPA
UCAT Percentile Rank: 97th
VR: 670
DM: 750
QR: 880
AR: 820
Total: 3120
SJ: 700
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR): 731.8
Applying to:
all unis that accept non-standards
Other: none
Specific Question:
Is there any chance for an interview at UNSW or WSU for med in particular? Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Applying for: Medicine and Dentistry
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 98.35, 6.5 GPA
UCAT Percentile Rank: 97th
VR: 670
QR: 880
AR: 820
Total: 3120
SJ: 700
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR): 731.8
Applying to:
all unis that accept non-standards
Other: none
Specific Question:
Is there any chance for an interview at UNSW or WSU for med in particular? Thanks :)
Med: You’ll get interviews at JMP and likely WSU. UNSW is unfortunately a no go due to your ATAR. Also worth an application at JCU if you’re willing to move to North QLD!

Dent: should get interviews at Adelaide and CSU and an offer at UQ.

Good luck :)

Applying for:
Medicine
Application Type: Non-standard
Predicted ATAR/GPA: Actual 2016: 98.55 GPA: 6.1
UCAT Percentile Rank: 97
VR: 610
QR: 830
AR: 870
Total: 3060
SJ: 687
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR): 700
Applying to: UNSW, JMP, WSU/Charles Sturt
Rural Applicant: No
GWS Applicant: Yes
Indigenous Applicant: No
Other: N/A

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Application Type: Non-standard
Predicted ATAR/GPA: Actual 2016: 98.55 GPA: 6.1
UCAT Percentile Rank: 97
VR: 610
QR: 830
AR: 870
Total: 3060
SJ: 687
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR): 700
Applying to: UNSW, JMP, WSU/Charles Sturt
Rural Applicant: No
GWS Applicant: Yes
Indigenous Applicant: No
JMP and JPM are both shoe-ins for an interview. Unfortunately UNSW won’t work out due to your ATAR/GPA combo. You should consider applying to JCU too. Good luck :)

Application Type: non-standard, completed 1FTE
Predicted ATAR/GPA: ATAR: 94.75 and GPA: 7
UCAT Percentile Rank: 84
VR: 700
DM:670
QR: 720
AR: 740
Total: 2830
SJ: 752
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR): 705.4
Applying to: All universities in NSW and VIC. My dream uni would be UNSW
Rural Applicant: YES
GWS Applicant: NO
Indigenous Applicant: NO
Other:
Specific Question: UNSW won’t consider me rural as they look at a different measure of rural that isn’t RA... . However is there any chance of UNSW? I know my ATAR was atrocious but will the GPA help? 🥺

Last edited by a moderator:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Application Type: non-standard, completed 1FTE
Predicted ATAR/GPA: ATAR: 94.75 and GPA: 7
UCAT Percentile Rank: 84
VR: 700
DM:670
QR: 720
AR: 740
Total: 2830
SJ: 752
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR): 705.4
Applying to: All universities in NSW and VIC. My dream uni would be UNSW
Rural Applicant: YES
GWS Applicant: NO
Indigenous Applicant: NO
Other:
Specific Question: UNSW won’t consider me rural as they look at a different measure of rural that isn’t RA... . However is there any chance of UNSW? I know my ATAR was atrocious but will the GPA help? 🥺
Unfortunately no chance for UNSW without rurality. You'll have to bank on JMP and WSU (you'll get interviews at both) - note you're not eligible for universities in Victoria because you have a tertiary study record. Worth applying to JCU too if you're willing to move there. Good luck :)

Since the UCAT replaced the UMAT, are the UMAT scores on the MSO of any use (or would they be useful in getting an idea of the usual percentiles used by the unis)?

Cal

vibe
Since the UCAT replaced the UMAT, are the UMAT scores on the MSO of any use (or would they be useful in getting an idea of the usual percentiles used by the unis)?
I would suggest looking at the 2019 threads for 2020 entry, they will give you the best idea; the UMAT used slightly different percentiles and obviously the further back you go, the more inaccurate the values get, so looking at the latest and greatest is ideal. Here is the thread --> Aus Med and Dent Place Offers 2020 - Collated Data

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Yep, the percentiles will still give you a good gauge. Just keep in mind that some universities have changed their criteria (e.g. some unis had a 50/50/50 rule in UMAT but don't have one for UCAT, meaning higher %ile UCAT scores are required than UMAT) and the more recent data is usually going to be a lot more reliable.

Mod Note: Answered
Applying for: dent
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 6.5+?
UCAT Percentile Rank:91
VR:610
DM:710
QR:760
AR:860
Total:2940
SJ:663
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR): N/A
Current State: New zealand (auckland)
Applying to:
griffith, UQ
Indigenous Applicant: /no
Specific Question:

how likely am i to get a UQ dent offer with that UCAT? (griffith is a backup plan but its super expensive)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Applying for: dent
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 6.5+?
UCAT Percentile Rank:91
VR:610
DM:710
QR:760
AR:860
Total:2940
SJ:663
Possible WSU Formula Total (58%VR + 12%DM + 12%QR + 18%AR): N/A
Current State: New zealand (auckland)
Applying to:
griffith, UQ
Indigenous Applicant: /no
Specific Question:

how likely am i to get a UQ dent offer with that UCAT? (griffith is a backup plan but its super expensive)

You'll likely need your GPA to be heavily on the + side of the 6.5+ you're predicting for Griffith anyway (ie. 6.875), so that one is probably out unless that's what you end up managing. 91st would have got you a UQ offer last year, so fingers crossed it doesn't shift! Good luck!

A1

Rookie Doc
91st would have got you a UQ offer last year

UQ is now the 2nd uni after Griffith to have cutoff for Dent higher than Med. Both because they allow non-standards into Dent but not Med. Non-standards are pushing school leavers out of Dent in QLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.