Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UNSW UNSW Medicine: General Entry Questions and Discussion

Lawso

What would the approximate interstate applications to UNSW be? In terms of both Local and Rural, for their 3400 and 500 respective applications received.

sevun

not an official offer but might help for data collection:
UNSW informed me that I performed really well and was on their list of students for first round offers but the offer didn't reach me since I didn't preference them first.
ATAR/GPA: 97.85/6.25 (also had SCATS)
UCAT: 99th (3270)
Hey hazell,
Sorry for digging this up but could I please confirm that UNSW just emailed you this on their own accord, without being prompted or queried by you?

How many people get interview offers for unsw rural stream?? I know that it's usually 3 times the number of places for wsu, is it the same for unsw??

ucat3300+

Hi, spent some time reading through this thread, but couldn't possibly read all 52 pages so apologies if this question has been asked before.

Basically, I always thought that UNSW is 33% atar 33% ucat 33% interview. This post from page 2 of this thread confidently says this. However both the UNSW website and A1's table indicate that UNSW does not release the weighting.

How much do we know/speculate about the weighting of ATAR, UCAT, Interview for UNSW? This post explains the changes that happened in 2018, but I still do not have a clear picture of how ATAR UCAT and Interview score are weighted for UNSW. I think perhaps a summary thread explaining everything we know and some speculations (a bit like how we have the WSU formula for UCAT) would be very helpful for everyone applying to UNSW? (Apologies if there is already a post that does this). Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Nonstandard983

UoN JMP II
MSOer of the Year 2021
Hi, spent some time reading through this thread, but couldn't possibly read all 52 pages so apologies if this question has been asked before.

Basically, I always thought that UNSW is 33% atar 33% ucat 33% interview. This post from page 2 of this thread confidently says this. However both the UNSW website and A1's table indicate that UNSW does not release the weighting.

How much do we know/speculate about the weighting of ATAR, UCAT, Interview for UNSW? This post explains the changes that happened in 2018, but I still do not have a clear picture of how ATAR UCAT and Interview score are weighted for UNSW. I think perhaps a summary thread explaining everything we know and some speculations (a bit like how we have the WSU formula for UCAT) would be very helpful for everyone applying to UNSW? (Apologies if there is already a post that does this). Thank you so much.
This question has been asked before but that is okay ill briefly explain it now.

Several of us on this forum hypothesise that the weightings have stayed the same with a threshold for the interview now being implemented what I mean by that is if there is 150 interviewees the interviewees will be ranked from 1-150 for each of the three subsections (ATAR/UCAT/Interview) however if they fall below lets say 120th on the interview their application is discarded (this is a random number I have come up with none of us know the actual threshold) . The scores are then added up and if there is 50 places the 50 applicants with the lowest score e.g. 1st +1st +1st would equal 3.

The reason why UNSW changed it to this from 33% equal weighting was an applicant could hypothetically in the old system get an extremely high UCAT/99.95 ATAR and be guaranteed a position regardless of their interview score due to them being in the top 33% of applicants. UNSW was not fond of this as someone who had no bedside manner/communication skills could still walk into a guaranteed position with this formula so they changed it to a threshold on the interview to weed out anyone with no communication skills.

polo1629

Hey,

Probably a stupid question, but I read on a discord server that you will not receive an interview from UNSW if you don't put it as your 1st pref on your uac prefs.
1. Is this true?
2. Does preference have any influence?
3. And if so does changing it now ensure that you are in the best spot to possibly receive an interview and then an offer?

Nonstandard983

UoN JMP II
MSOer of the Year 2021
Hey,

Probably a stupid question, but I read on a discord server that you will not receive an interview from UNSW if you don't put it as your 1st pref on your uac prefs.
1. Is this true?
2. Does preference have any influence?
3. And if so does changing it now ensure that you are in the best spot to possibly receive an interview and then an offer?
All we can do here on MSO is speculate based of previous years application cycle, based on all previous admission cycles preference has no impact on a) wether or not you receive an interview b) wether or not you receive an offer (assuming you didn't receive an offer from a higher preference). This year with some other universities we have seen preferencing being included in the selection criteria for an interview (Dentistry not medicine if I remember correctly)

Whoever said that on discord has no idea what they're talking about as A) UNSW has never done this in the past B) They haven't released a statement or communication stating this.

jhsane

(sorry if this has already been clarified) but for interstate UNSW applicants since interviews are all on the 25th, are we eligible for the Jan 26th offer round perhaps? Or is it (like I'm predicting) too soon so there isn't enough time and our first offer round will be on the 3rd of Feb?

Really quite stressful because O week is like week of the 7th of Feb and I'm NZ so I'd have to get an offer (if I'm lucky enough to get an offer haha), move, settle in like 2 days to be ready for O week and that just seems stressfully dumb. Surely they would imagine that interstate applicants would be those that need to actually travel and move into accomodation so need a lil more time (but I guess not).

Also..... I have a 99th percentile UCAT (3370) and 5A* CIE A Levels so I'm expecting? a UNSW invite :) I was wondering if anyone might know if perhaps an average interview could be enough for me to scrape it in.....??? I'm not the most confident with my interview skills at the moment but I've done quite a few already so I think I should be able to do "averagely" with prep. I guess it's difficult to say though!

Big thanks! I'm currently stressing over the small time frame between Feb offer rounds and O week so if anyone has any experience I would reeeally appreciate it.

JeydinNewWon

(sorry if this has already been clarified) but for interstate UNSW applicants since interviews are all on the 25th, are we eligible for the Jan 26th offer round perhaps? Or is it (like I'm predicting) too soon so there isn't enough time and our first offer round will be on the 3rd of Feb?

Really quite stressful because O week is like week of the 7th of Feb and I'm NZ so I'd have to get an offer (if I'm lucky enough to get an offer haha), move, settle in like 2 days to be ready for O week and that just seems stressfully dumb. Surely they would imagine that interstate applicants would be those that need to actually travel and move into accomodation so need a lil more time (but I guess not).

Also..... I have a 99th percentile UCAT (3370) and 5A* CIE A Levels so I'm expecting? a UNSW invite :) I was wondering if anyone might know if perhaps an average interview could be enough for me to scrape it in.....??? I'm not the most confident with my interview skills at the moment but I've done quite a few already so I think I should be able to do "averagely" with prep. I guess it's difficult to say though!

Big thanks! I'm currently stressing over the small time frame between Feb offer rounds and O week so if anyone has any experience I would reeeally appreciate it.
Hi, there!

I checked the timeline and it seems that interstate offers are released on the February 3rd. January 26th would be the first round offers for locals so that means unfortunately you’ll have only a few days to decide on the offer to move and find accommodation. I know it sucks but O’Week lasts from 7th-11th February so you still have some extra days, I guess. It’s really hard this year with COVID, and it’s just an unfortunate circumstance. Granted, not sure if you need to attend O’Week, so you could have more breathing time granted you don’t intend to go to O’Week.

Considering your scores, it’s pretty much guaranteed you’ll land an interview (since your academic result, if I am correct, translate to a 99.95 Selection Rank as you mentioned in your previous posts). Idk about the interview per say and how much you need to score, but just be wary that there has been speculation on here that even with maximum possible scores, too low of an interview score results in UNSW not considering you for further rounds.

Hopefully this helps!

jhsane

Hi, there!

I checked the timeline and it seems that interstate offers are released on the February 3rd. January 26th would be the first round offers for locals so that means unfortunately you’ll have only a few days to decide on the offer to move and find accommodation. I know it sucks but O’Week lasts from 7th-11th February so you still have some extra days, I guess. It’s really hard this year with COVID, and it’s just an unfortunate circumstance. Granted, not sure if you need to attend O’Week, so you could have more breathing time granted you don’t intend to go to O’Week.

Considering your scores, it’s pretty much guaranteed you’ll land an interview (since your academic result, if I am correct, translate to a 99.95 Selection Rank as you mentioned in your previous posts). Idk about the interview per say and how much you need to score, but just be wary that there has been speculation on here that even with maximum possible scores, too low of an interview score results in UNSW not considering you for further rounds.

Hopefully this helps!
Thank you!!! Damn that is really short on time! I wish they could just interview us earlier haha. I have a current spot at Colombo house for accomodation and the dean has heavily suggest attending O week T-T - it does look really fun but it's also so stressful omg.... (especially with COVID like you said)

Yeah definitely with the interviews I have to do decently,,,, hoping I might have a lil leeway though cuz I feel I can do an average interview with prep but nothing extraordinary like some people I know :') the panel bit does make it quiteee scary!

Lawso

Thank you!!! Damn that is really short on time! I wish they could just interview us earlier haha. I have a current spot at Colombo house for accomodation and the dean has heavily suggest attending O week T-T - it does look really fun but it's also so stressful omg.... (especially with COVID like you said)

Yeah definitely with the interviews I have to do decently,,,, hoping I might have a lil leeway though cuz I feel I can do an average interview with prep but nothing extraordinary like some people I know :') the panel bit does make it quiteee scary!
Who even knows if classes let alone O-week will be allowed to go ahead? My high school has announced that they won't be having face to face classes until early march (as of now), so maybe uni's could also do that?

JeydinNewWon

I mean if I do get an offer I'm still uncertain about going to O'Week. It's just the sheer amount of cases and the clownfest that is NSW atm with COVID cases and testing it's just a bit too risky imo. Not sure if they are going to make it online or cancel it because of the amount of cases going around atm.

I mean yeah, I guess the panel can be scary but I think an MMI is also equally, if not, more terrifying because interviews don't get to connect with you personally and hence they may be a bit more 'cruel' and it can diminish confidence. But they do iterate mostly that it's 'just a conversation', so maybe I can take their word for that.

Deboza

UNSW MD II
Iyou

Big thanks! I'm currently stressing over the small time frame between Feb offer rounds and O week so if anyone has any experience I would reeeally appreciate it
If you need any help with anything just give me a hoot. I live in sydney and will be commencing 1st year at UNSW this year!

jhsane

Who even knows if classes let alone O-week will be allowed to go ahead? My high school has announced that they won't be having face to face classes until early march (as of now), so maybe uni's could also do that?
Ohh yeah that could definitely be a possibility! Though online O-week would def be a lesser experience (really need to make friends haha) I would also gratefully take up the extra week to settle.....

Iyou

If you need any help with anything just give me a hoot. I live in sydney and will be commencing 1st year at UNSW this year!
Thank you so so much :DD I really appreciate it :) Big congrats on UNSW!!