Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Auckland OLY1 (BSc/BHSc) 2013 chat/enquires

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between an end of semester test and an exam? I was looking at Medsci 142 course outline if this helps

It depends on the course.

For instance, this year for MEDSCI 142 we had one mid-semester test, one end-of-semester test, and one exam.

The semester tests were entirely multichoice questions, and each tested half of the course + half of the labs. The exam, on the other hand, was entirely short answer questions (fill in the blanks, describe, explain, state, label, draw etc.) and could ask you anything from entire course material.

Compare this with another course, like BIOSCI 107, where this year we had one mid-semester test and one exam. Both were identical in structure (basically half MCQs and half SAQs), although the semester test covered the first half of the course and the exam covered the second half.

More often than not the exam will also be worth more in terms of your final grade as well, and it may be a requirement within the course (e.g. Arts courses) that you have to pass the exam in order to pass overall.

I could give more examples but really all you need to know is that what and how you're tested/examined will change from course to course. It's a good idea to become familiar with how each course will do this when you first start out, but they [course coordinators/lecturers] will usually keep you aware of that too. Hope that helps!

7.5 sounds around about right. When are everyone's interviews? I'm on Monday, but good luck for anyone going tomorrow if you're still looking at this forum :p

My core is 8.0 which doesn't really meet the average GPA for entry so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!! I had my interview yesterday, [MENTION=18282]Cralfe[/MENTION] all my friends and I had lovely interviewers; it's really just like having a chat with very nice people who are keen to get to know you! :) Good luck to all out there who are waiting for your interviews

My core is 8.0 which doesn't really meet the average GPA for entry so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!! I had my interview yesterday, @Cralfe all my friends and I had lovely interviewers; it's really just like having a chat with very nice people who are keen to get to know you! :) Good luck to all out there who are waiting for your interviews

Wow, my interviewers WERE really nice! The free water was nice too. How'd you go, blackandwhite?

How did you find it Crafle? Not long now guys before you find out if you get in. @Cralfe

Seemed all right, but the interviewers are really nice to everyone so it's hard to gauge how well I went. But yeah, fingers crossed for the 20th.

Seemed all right, but the interviewers are really nice to everyone so it's hard to gauge how well I went. But yeah, fingers crossed for the 20th.

They asked me a lot of personal questions from my MHO3 as well as a few questions on aged care in NZ (relevant to MHO3) and the ToW which was a bit random in terms of interview flow but I guess they wanted to see my awareness on the issue. Length was just average, not sure exactly how long it was but it was probs around 25 mins.. it was undoubtedly the fastest 25 mins of my life though!! I didn't feel great after my interview but it was pleasant and I didn't really want to leave at the end haha

They asked me a lot of personal questions from my MHO3 as well as a few questions on aged care in NZ (relevant to MHO3) and the ToW which was a bit random in terms of interview flow but I guess they wanted to see my awareness on the issue. Length was just average, not sure exactly how long it was but it was probs around 25 mins.. it was undoubtedly the fastest 25 mins of my life though!! I didn't feel great after my interview but it was pleasant and I didn't really want to leave at the end haha

Sounds like you did all right, I got a random question near the end asking what I would count as a doctor (should have said I would count on winning the lotto :p)

Sounds like you did all right, I got a random question near the end asking what I would count as a doctor (should have said I would count on winning the lotto :p)

I think everyone has that one question from the interview that pesters them haha. For me, they asked right at the end if there was anything else i'd like to say about myself and I blew that chance away completely!! I just said that I talked so much about myself today that I can't think of anything else at the moment and they said 'well that's what today's all about'.

Hope you have a good break though and all the best for results :) Would be good meeting MSO members in grafton next year :p hhaha

Heyyy guys @_@

This year GenEd Econ's time table seems to clash with MEDSCI 142. To ensure myself that nothing is wrong on my side, can anyone confirm this? @_@

I'm very confused about the system of enrolment at the moment.

Also, could anyone suggest a good gen ed course that's going to be relatively easy to get high marks in?

THanks!

And,

I would like to ask what the difference is between different tutorial numbers.

For example, there are this(16877,16972....) Auckland OLY1 (BSc/BHSc) 2013 chat/enquires. I'm wondering whether the tutors would be the same, and whether we can switch between these different classes along the way if we hear that one tutor is better than the other.

Thanks

Heyyy guys @_@

This year GenEd Econ's time table seems to clash with MEDSCI 142. To ensure myself that nothing is wrong on my side, can anyone confirm this? @_@

Also, could anyone suggest a good gen ed course that's going to be relatively easy to get high marks in?

THanks!

And,

I would like to ask what the difference is between different tutorial numbers.

For example, there are this(16877,16972....) View attachment 967. I'm wondering whether the tutors would be the same, and whether we can switch between these different classes along the way if we hear that one tutor is better than the other.

Thanks

Timetable clashes with ECON are normal. This happens every single year. Some OLY1 students are lucky to find that they are able to fit ECON into their timetables, whether that be by standard enrolment or via concession request, however I would think that the majority of OLY1 students do not take ECON simply because it clashes (otherwise everyone would since it's supposedly one of the easiest gen eds!). And don't stress out too much over enrolment, everyone does! It took me 2 whole days to enrol in all of my classes.

The important thing with gen eds, I think, is to pick one that strikes the right balance between how much you think you'll enjoy it and how well you think you'll perform in it (i.e. how easy it is). You'll probably want to dedicate most of your studying in the second semester to MEDSCI 142, with your gen ed commitment taking more or less the least time and effort. For that matter, some other popular gen eds are INTBUS (often clashes though), PHIL 105G, PHARM, MAORI, and BUSINESS (I can't remember the exact course numbers, sorry!). And definitely stay away from LAW. Of course there are others (MUSIC, DANCE), but those are the most common ones that people I knew of took.

I ended up taking PHIL 105G (Critical Thinking), which basically teaches you how to structure and break down arguments. Our lecturer was great and they definitely tried to make it as interesting as possible (two lectures per week); I only went to the first few tutorials (once every week) and there's even an optional field trip to Devonport. I'll admit that I did sleep through a lot of the lectures, mainly because I was a tired wee one, and I knew that I could catch up later since they uploaded full lecture slides and class readings that pretty much covered everything you needed to know. That being said, PHIL 105G is a skills-based coursed, meaning that you're more so tested on applying your critical thinking/arguing skills rather than regurgitating knowledge (as evident with two open book tests and one closed book exam). Considering the little time I put into properly studying for it, I still ended up with a pretty decent grade.

As for your POPLHLTH 111 tutorials, I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the numbers, so maybe it's best to flick an email through to the University or to whoever handles enrolments for Biomedical Science/Health Science if you're feeling uneasy with it. But for instance, the tutor I had took my stream in the afternoon and also the stream in the morning on the same day. You cannot switch tutors nor streams once you have been placed since you are assessed in groups, unless you have a very good reason to and have to be accommodated for say a grievance or NZ representation etc.

Heyyy guys @_@

THanks!

What happened this year was that a separate stream for eco opened up later which didn't clash, but I'm not sure if that will happen for your year. Agreed with phil105g. Depends on how easy you find disassembling arguments but its not too bad, the lectures are interesting, and a friend of mine got a B+ without attending any lectures and doing virtually no study. Not that I would advise doing that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back