Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: Entry Information and Discussion

REGULAR JOE

I just received a reply through email from the MBBS admissions team:
'We are still in the offer process at the moment and this will continue until all places are allocated. Many applicants who wish to study medicine apply to multiple universities, and more places will become available as earlier offers are declined.

However I can confirm that the main offer rounds have already occurred and we are only sending additional offers in very small batches as existing offers are declined.'

What?! They say the main round has already gone out. Except for rural students, I haven't seen any non rural students report offers here on MSO. Does anyone know what's going on?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I just received a reply through email from the MBBS admissions team:
'We are still in the offer process at the moment and this will continue until all places are allocated. Many applicants who wish to study medicine apply to multiple universities, and more places will become available as earlier offers are declined.

However I can confirm that the main offer rounds have already occurred and we are only sending additional offers in very small batches as existing offers are declined.'

What?! They say the main round has already gone out. Except for rural students, I haven't seen any non rural students report offers here on MSO. Does anyone know what's going on?

I would speculate that UTas got bitten on the butt last year (as I 1000% said they would) when they offered a huge amount of places to interstate high achievers well before interstate offers came out. The absolute vast majority of them would have gone on to get home state offers and the whole process would have been an utter waste of time.

I'd imagine they've learned from this and have returned to the offer rates that are more consistent with the years prior.

If this is true, there will be minimal offers made and that will in turn reduce the amount of people likely to be MSO members, hence the lack of reporting here.

It is also possible that the "main offer round" is considered to be the Locals/Rurals round (that occurred in December) because it's by far the biggest one (so would actually make sense).

There will be a rush of declined offers happening right now given VTAC/UAC/QTAC/SATAC offers have been released (we've even had some here report they're declining their UTas offers). More offers will come.

ETA: this reply is made with the usual caveat about admissions staff and their understanding/knowledge of Med admissions specifically...

Last edited:

Jesus20

Ucatgirl
Guys any news on med offers for interstate school leavers?
Also does any one know how utas uses special consideration?

REGULAR JOE

Interstate rurals have got offers. The question that remains is whether any non-rural interstaters have got offers? ;)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Rural and indigenous application pathways are the only special considerations that apply for UTAS Med, I believe.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
just wondering what chances I have being a non-rural interstate with 99.35
I’d have a back up plan well in place - that ATAR won’t be high enough unfortunately (only 99.95s with very high UCAT scores have gained offers thus far).

dande

For UTAS, do we know what the requirements will be with UCAT and stuff. On their website they said "Entry requirements for 2021 are currently being finalised and will be updated soon" but im just wondering how they have worked in the past and if they always used the 50%ile hurdle requirement. is there a possibility that they might use UCAT to differentiate this year?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
For UTAS, do we know what the requirements will be with UCAT and stuff. On their website they said "Entry requirements for 2021 are currently being finalised and will be updated soon" but im just wondering how they have worked in the past and if they always used the 50%ile hurdle requirement. is there a possibility that they might use UCAT to differentiate this year?
One thing we can say with 100% certainty about UTAS is that you can never predict what they're going to do ;). The criteria changes every year and even when it's written on the website, the data we observe often contradicts the website info +/- what admissions staff have to say.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
but im just wondering how they have worked in the past

Welcome to the club, tbh :D

ETA: actually, I can confirm the 50th%ile thing for the UMAT years. You definitely needed that to be eligible, regardless of entry pathway (local, rural, interstate, etc).

ETA2: this has prompted me to refresh my memory on what happened for 2020 entry. What a great use of time this will be ;)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
may I ask what happened in 2020 entry. seems im missing something

Again, welcome to the club!

Re. 2020 entry, you can ask but (as per my ETA) you’ll have to wait until I’ve had a re-look at the data to remind myself. You could also look yourself if you like (collated offer data thread in the offers subforum).

The two things I distinctly remember = removal of written application for rural, and introduction of rurality weighting for rural.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
ETA2: this has prompted me to refresh my memory on what happened for 2020 entry. What a great use of time this will be ;)
So grateful you've given me something to do while I continue to avoid learning about headache at all costs!