Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions

ucatsyd

Yes omg I honestly didn't prepare for the influx of questions about rural health. I was so thrown aback when that's what they started me off with. Did you by any chance get the question along the lines of how would you benefit a rural community? If so how'd you respond since you from your name I'm guessing you're from a metro area.

Same here - they started me off with something along the lines of 'What are some issues rural populations face when it comes to their dental health?" and then asked something about commitment to rural health but I don't think I got that exact question.

Heard from others that apparently CSU changed it's focus now towards accepting more of rural/Indigenous background because it got in trouble for accepting too many city/metropolitan students previously.

Cal

vibe
Hi guys. From my understanding, the first rounds for CSU offers come out early December. Do you need to have it first preference in order to be eligible for an offer during that round?
Yeah; they say somewhere on their website that you must have it first preference; but I have heard that they might shoot you an email, saying that you might wanna chuck it up to first preference before the offers round, with the inference that you have an offer.

A1

Rookie Doc
i heard 4 or 6 december apparently?

Just to clarify for everyone, if you receive a phone call/ email from CSU in Dec it's kinda early notice not a formal offer. There's a UAC offer round on 12-Dec and one on 23-Dec. If CSU Dent participate they will send their ranked offer list to UAC first; for the off chance you have a higher pref *that you qualify for* in that round UAC will give you that one instead of CSU. It's why CSU say generically you should have it at 1st pref.

In a hypothetical case that you have CSU below say UNSW Med for the Dec rounds; since you have not interviewed/qualified for UNSW Med at that stage UAC is likely to offer you CSU anyway despite not 1st pref. But that's not conclusive, so just play safe and put CSU 1st.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi everyone, it's almost that time of year again when offers start to roll out (in fact, it seems LaTrobe offers started to go out today). In the past, MSO has had multiple threads (one per uni, two if they offer both med and dent) for people to haphazardly put their offer details into, and it's made collecting the data into something useful really time consuming, so we're trying to move away from that model to a central repository. We've done this the past couple of years and it has been a much cleaner process.

Here is the 2020 Entry thread: Med and Dent - 2020 Entry (Offers and Discussion)

BEST OF LUCK :D (and thank you in advance for contributing to the efficiency of the forum).

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi everyone,

I'm new here to MSO but I just have a few questions regarding dentistry at UQ and Griffith.
I just finished Health Sciences First Year at Otago university in New Zealand and have applied for both UQ and Griffith via qtac. At Otago University, we have a 9 point gpa system where 9 is a A+ (90+), 8 is A (85-59), 7 is A- (80-84) etc. Everyone here seems to know their gpa off a 7 gpa scale, I was wondering how do we convert to a 7 gpa scale or what 9 point gpa would be good enough to get into dentistry.
Also, how hard is it to get into UQ and Griffith?

Thanks!
Welcome to MSO! :)

Convert the result of each individual unit you took into a grade of 1-7 using the following scale:
85+ = 7
75 - 84 = 6
65 - 74 = 5
55 - 64 = 4

Find the average and that’s your GPA for the Queensland universities.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thank you!!
Do you know what was needed for UQ and Griffith in 2019?

Also at Otago university, we have 7 core papers and an optional 8th paper but when deciding our gpa they only take in the top 7 papers. Will this be the same when applying or will they take in all 8 papers or only the 7 core papers?
Thanks!
Griffith was apparently a 6.875 cutoff. UQ only uses GPA as a hurdle, so as long as you’re at 6.5 or above, UCAT score determines place offer selection.

They’ll very likely use all 8 papers, as we don’t use that system here.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thank you!!
Do you know what was needed for UQ and Griffith in 2019?

Also at Otago university, we have 7 core papers and an optional 8th paper but when deciding our gpa they only take in the top 7 papers. Will this be the same when applying or will they take in all 8 papers or only the 7 core papers?
Thanks!

They will use everything you’ve done. Griffith will need 6.875. UQ ~6.50 (hurdle) + UCAT.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Okay thank you! Looks like I won't make the cut for Griffith, it really sucks when in two of your papers you got 84 :((
I did pass the hurdle (have a gpa of 6.50+) and have a 85th percentile UCAT. Would that put me on the waitlist at least?
I wouldn’t rule Griffith out yet if your GPA is 6.75 (that was the cutoff in previous years before the jump to 6.875 last year). I don’t think 85 in UCAT has been enough for UQ in the past, and there’s no waitlist there, unfortunately.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Okay thank you! Looks like I won't make the cut for Griffith, it really sucks when in two of your papers you got 84 :((
I did pass the hurdle (have a gpa of 6.50+) and have a 85th percentile UCAT. Would that put me on the waitlist at least?

Did you apply for Dent elsewhere in Aus? Your GPA could be competitive for JCU with a solid written application and they don’t use UCAT.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
No I only applied for Otago, UQ and Griffith. I only found out about the Australian universities a few weeks ago so I was a bit late in applying. I think JCU is closed.
Yeah, JCU applications close on September 30. Best of luck for the ones you have applied to!

ucatsyd

Does anyone know how many people are admitted each year for UQ Dent? Tried looking for the figure but couldn't find. Tia

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff

Maybe try La Trobe and UAdel too if they're still open!