Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry Dilemma - Help!

Hollyw28

BSc Biomed, PGDip Biomed, PGDip HSc, MBiomedSc
Hi guys! I am currently in my third and final year of Biomed at Auckland. My first year was totally terrible (finished the year with a GPA of 3) and my second year was still really bad (GPA of 3.8). Terrible, I know. I cruised through the first 2 years of my degree. It wasn't until the middle of Semester 2 of my first year when I took MEDSCI 206 that I realised I wanted to do Medicine, and ever since I have been so engrossed with it. I've realised it is my passion, but I now have a big problem - my GPA. At the moment, my cumulative GPA is 4.33. By the end of this year, I have calculated that even if I got A+ in everything, I would still not meet the minimum requirements for an interview at Auckland. At Otago, the weighting system works in my favour, but even then my GPA won't be competitive enough. This however is not my main issue - I understand I am going to have to undergo postgraduate study to get the GPA I need.

My problem is:
  • My partner and I intend on moving to Otago in 2020. This means that after this year, I have one more year in Auckland.
  • I was intending on completing a PGDip in Auckland to improve my GPA for MBChB application to Otago, however they have informed me that a PGDip in Biomedical Science will not be counted at all to their weighting system - only Honours.
  • I am unable to get into the Biomed Honours programme at Auckland as my GPA is just not going to be high enough in time.
  • I could do a PGDip or an Honours in Otago, but this would mean moving away from my partner, which really is not an ideal or financially practical option.

So essentially my only option to do a PGDip in Auckland anyway, despite it not counting, then do an Honours degree down in Otago, and apply for MBChB in 2021. This is not ideal as there will be another 2 years of study on top of my Bachelor's, and I feel I've spent enough time doing study that I don't want to be doing! Does any body have any other options? I've been brain-storming my options for weeks now and this is the best solution I have been able to come up with. It would be great to hear someone else's input!!

Hi guys! I am currently in my third and final year of Biomed at Auckland. My first year was totally terrible (finished the year with a GPA of 3) and my second year was still really bad (GPA of 3.8). Terrible, I know. I cruised through the first 2 years of my degree. It wasn't until the middle of Semester 2 of my first year when I took MEDSCI 206 that I realised I wanted to do Medicine, and ever since I have been so engrossed with it. I've realised it is my passion, but I now have a big problem - my GPA. At the moment, my cumulative GPA is 4.33. By the end of this year, I have calculated that even if I got A+ in everything, I would still not meet the minimum requirements for an interview at Auckland. At Otago, the weighting system works in my favour, but even then my GPA won't be competitive enough. This however is not my main issue - I understand I am going to have to undergo postgraduate study to get the GPA I need.

My problem is:
  • My partner and I intend on moving to Otago in 2020. This means that after this year, I have one more year in Auckland.
  • I was intending on completing a PGDip in Auckland to improve my GPA for MBChB application to Otago, however they have informed me that a PGDip in Biomedical Science will not be counted at all to their weighting system - only Honours.
  • I am unable to get into the Biomed Honours programme at Auckland as my GPA is just not going to be high enough in time.
  • I could do a PGDip or an Honours in Otago, but this would mean moving away from my partner, which really is not an ideal or financially practical option.

So essentially my only option to do a PGDip in Auckland anyway, despite it not counting, then do an Honours degree down in Otago, and apply for MBChB in 2021. This is not ideal as there will be another 2 years of study on top of my Bachelor's, and I feel I've spent enough time doing study that I don't want to be doing! Does any body have any other options? I've been brain-storming my options for weeks now and this is the best solution I have been able to come up with. It would be great to hear someone else's input!!

Why not consider doing HSFY1 at Otago? Or is that not allowed with a degree in BioMed? Just a thought.

Have you actually talked to anyone at the uni about your grades? I know at Vic uni they're so desperate for postgrad students they're willing to take people with way below the B+ average they say they require if they show potential and interest. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the same at other big unis.

Hi everyone,

Just really curious, is there any chance you can re-do HSFY? Like say 5 years after you've graduated from a degree? (which is the max. time given for an application to get into med, pharm, optom etc. via graduation entry).

Hi everyone,

Just really curious, is there any chance you can re-do HSFY? Like say 5 years after you've graduated from a degree? (which is the max. time given for an application to get into med, pharm, optom etc. via graduation entry).

Re-do? As in you've already done it before? Probably not

But if you did an initial degree first, work for a few years, then have to take HSFY to get in since you've never done it before - might have something to do with alternative category applicants but unsure

Hi everyone, I am considering doing a 120-point masters at UOA next year, and I was wondering if I could apply for medicine in 2025 with this. I just completed the pgdip for this programme this year, and I discovered that there is a masters (which I assume is stand-alone, since it says 120-points). Would anyone happen to know if my GPA from my pgdip would merge with the masters year? Thanks xx

Hi everyone, I am considering doing a 120-point masters at UOA next year, and I was wondering if I could apply for medicine in 2025 with this. I just completed the pgdip for this programme this year, and I discovered that there is a masters (which I assume is stand-alone, since it says 120-points). Would anyone happen to know if my GPA from my pgdip would merge with the masters year? Thanks xx
I'm pretty sure your masters would be a standalone GPA not including your pgdip, but probably better if you email or speak to ask auckland about this for an official answer.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Back