Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

HSFY 2019

blue1217

Essay? (I only remember HUBS mini-essays in part 3 of the exam. Legit can't remember HEAL192, the precursor to POPH192, having an essay, but maybe it was just so bad that my brain blocked it out of my memory)
It's a new section for POPH this year. They added a humanities section that we have to write an essay on in the final exam

Cathay

Train Driver
Emeritus
It's a new section for POPH this year. They added a humanities section that we have to write an essay on in the final exam
Oh... What is the essay about? (Do you guys know beforehand?)

Austerus

Oh... What is the essay about? (Do you guys know beforehand?)
Yeah it's a pretty shit time. It's only worth 15/100 marks though, 20% of which is for spelling and structure.

The topics are either based on the concepts of healing, "entangled notions of health", illness narratives or comparing biomedical knowledge with medical humanities. We got given broad topics that the questions will be based around, but not really the questions themselves.

We're only expected to spend ~30 minutes writing it which is insane, will be a very time pressured exam. The POPH department this year has been an absolute shit show with the addition of humanities and I hope future students don't have to go through it after all our feedback :)

It's definitely very important to learn and relates strongly to future careers, but the way they go about assessing their content is straight up dumb. We were taught all about different ways of looking at Maori and Pacific health via health models, only for them to ask stupid questions like "what Maori academic came up with this model in 1981" or "what one of these Maori politicians was not a doctor".

blue1217

Yeah it's a pretty shit time. It's only worth 15/100 marks though, 20% of which is for spelling and structure.

The topics are either based on the concepts of healing, "entangled notions of health", illness narratives or comparing biomedical knowledge with medical humanities. We got given broad topics that the questions will be based around, but not really the questions themselves.

We're only expected to spend ~30 minutes writing it which is insane, will be a very time pressured exam. The POPH department this year has been an absolute shit show with the addition of humanities and I hope future students don't have to go through it after all our feedback

It's definitely very important to learn and relates strongly to future careers, but the way they go about assessing their content is straight up dumb. We were taught all about different ways of looking at Maori and Pacific health via health models, only for them to ask stupid questions like "what Maori academic came up with this model in 1981" or "what one of these Maori politicians was not a doctor".
And the marking criteria is so hard too :( we have to reference to 3 readings to get full marks :oops:

Cathay

Train Driver
Emeritus
Sigh. I can see where they’re coming from with the medical humanities stuff, but I think HSFY is a bit too early to be introducing that side of things. It's also a bit redundant seeing as a sizeable portion of the HSFY cohort won't actually do medicine; not to mention extra stressful for HSFYers trying for medicine... (I'm also resentful of this change in sympathy - I wouldn't have liked a big essay question in HSFY, either.)

Austerus

Sigh. I can see where they’re coming from with the medical humanities stuff, but I think HSFY is a bit too early to be introducing that side of things. It's also a bit redundant seeing as a sizeable portion of the HSFY cohort won't actually do medicine; not to mention extra stressful for HSFYers trying for medicine... (I'm also resentful of this change in sympathy - I wouldn't have liked a big essay question in HSFY, either.)
Yeah if I didn't take an 8th paper I'd feel properly screwed over by this essay

Cathay

Train Driver
Emeritus
I think everyone is struggling with POPH
Ain't that the truth. This is one of the reasons we advise HSFYers in semester one not to give up on any papers and fall back on 8th paper, because semester two brings HEAL/PUBH/POPH - whatever they call it, it's always been different (and arguably difficult).

cookies&cream

Ain't that the truth. This is one of the reasons we advise HSFYers in semester one not to give up on any papers and fall back on 8th paper, because semester two brings HEAL/PUBH/POPH - whatever they call it, it's always been different (and arguably difficult).
I think it is safe to assume that everyone is feeling screwed about the upcoming POPH192 exams. I'd prefer doing another chemistry/physics paper over this one tbh.

1bear

Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I am currently doing HSFY. I am aiming for graduate entry and was wondering about core paper grades below 70% and whether you have to redo these to achieve over 70pct by the time you apply for grad entry? Can these failed core papers/ below 70% be done in summer school, and can this count towards improving your 3 year average for med entry? I have heard summer school/redos don't count for HSFY entry but I am only interested in whether this can be done for grad. Thank you for your help :)

Filifalcon

I'm funny apparently
Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I am currently doing HSFY. I am aiming for graduate entry and was wondering about core paper grades below 70% and whether you have to redo these to achieve over 70pct by the time you apply for grad entry? Can these failed core papers/ below 70% be done in summer school, and can this count towards improving your 3 year average for med entry? I have heard summer school/redos don't count for HSFY entry but I am only interested in whether this can be done for grad. Thank you for your help :)
For grad entry, the 70% rule isn't a thing. It's just for entry via HSFY. And if u pass the paper aka >50%, you can't redo them. Imo just take a bunch of 200 level papers since the new system next year that applies to you mean that 200 level papers can replace 100 level ones etc.

For more info check out the threads since we've already talked about it a lot.

AnthonyIsMyName

For grad entry, the 70% rule isn't a thing. It's just for entry via HSFY. And if u pass the paper aka >50%, you can't redo them. Imo just take a bunch of 200 level papers since the new system next year that applies to you mean that 200 level papers can replace 100 level ones etc.

For more info check out the threads since we've already talked about it a lot.
Hi Fili!
Just did my POPH192 exam today and I absolutely bombed it. I'm quite sure that I've failed POPH. Would I be able to retake the paper? I want to do postgrad through biomed.
Or am I GG? :'(

Filifalcon

I'm funny apparently
Hi Fili!
Just did my POPH192 exam today and I absolutely bombed it. I'm quite sure that I've failed POPH. Would I be able to retake the paper? I want to do postgrad through biomed.
Or am I GG? :'(
If you failed POPH aka below 50% then yeah you'll have to retake it next year. If you get above 50%, they won't let you.

AnthonyIsMyName

If you failed POPH aka below 50% then yeah you'll have to retake it next year. If you get above 50%, they won't let you.
I asked my friend and she told me what there's no chance to retake exams that you've failed. I was honestly about to breakdown when I walked out of that gym. So we can actually resit core papers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Filifalcon

I'm funny apparently
I asked my friend and she told me what there's no chance to retake exams that you've failed. I am honestly about to breakdown when I walked out of that gym. So we can actually resit core papers?
You don't retake exams when you fail a paper, you retake the whole paper. However, even if you got let's say 49% for finals, provided your internals were higher than 50%, you could still get >50% for the paper as a whole and pass it. Unless one of the terms requirement is to get >50% in final exams (idk what the terms requirements are for poph).

And yes, if you fail the paper, you should be able to retake it since passing is a prerequisite for admission into Med via grad entry. + pretty sure I know people who retook physics/chem etc trying to get in via grad entry

Fencess

lil doggo
Considering you're clearly stressed, I can confirm what Filifalcon said.
Fail D = 40-49%, Fail E = Below 40%. Anything above this is a pass.

If you are going for graduate entry only need to pass the core papers.
Retaking papers at uni is likely much more common then you think.
It might be embarrassing going back to lectures you've been to already (with all the freshers) but you most certainly won't be the only one.

Bootleg

And to add on whatever everyone said.

For POPH you need minimum 40% in the final examination to pass. Therefore, getting a overall grade of 50%, isnt sufficient enough to pass if you got below 40% in the final exam.

Stuart

Administrator
Admodistrator
Hi everyone,

I hope all is well. If you have some burning questions or need help with preparing for STAT115, let me know here.

Good luck!