Med/Dent Interview Preparation

A1

Admissions Speculator
I wouldn't say motivation and passion are necessarily [email protected]$%.

I didn't say motivation and passion are [email protected]$%. I meant interview coaching that hypes it into you need to have motivation/passion (else interviewers deem you as unsuitable for medicine) is.

basing your answer around job security and income/status which can be achieved in many other careers other than medicine.

The vast majority of other careers don't guarantee a job on graduation, or a more stable job afterwards. On that point medicine still stands out. I have no shame in admitting that I chose med because I have/had no particular liking for anything else, while med brings job security and respect people give to the profession (relative to say law or car sales for example). It's very different to someone choosing med *instead of something else* for med's money & status.

whoartthou

I didn't say motivation and passion are [email protected]$%. I meant interview coaching that hypes it into you need to have motivation/passion (else interviewers deem you as unsuitable for medicine) is.

I can't comment on the "hype" about motivation as preached by others however, as I said earlier your assessors will mainly be community members who do want to see genuine motivation to study medicine.

Okami

Lurker
Hi Everybody,

I have trawled through the interview questions prep threads and grabbed the all the practice questions I can find and put them into a document. Sometimes the threads can get a little messy so I thought since I had gone through the effort you may as well reap the benefits. It starts off with your usual "why do you want to study at this school" kind of questions and finishes with ethical dilemmas and the like.

Here is the link: Medstudents online .docx

Feel free to use this new thread to discuss the questions and anything else related.
Hi,
I was looking through threads to prepare for interviews and came across this. However the link does not exist anymore :"
I was wondering if anyone still has the link or was the document deleted?
Thanks so much!

I know this doesn't impact preparation and shouldn't impact mindset, however, does anyone know if universities recognise whether you've sat for an interview before? For example, I made it to the interview stage of WSU last year, however, did not receive an offer, and then made it to the interview stage again this year, am I even a fraction more competitive? If anyone has any experience receiving/not receiving an offer for admission on their second attempt at the same university's interview then it would be great to hear about it.

A1

Admissions Speculator
For example, I made it to the interview stage of WSU last year, however, did not receive an offer, and then made it to the interview stage again this year, am I even a fraction more competitive?
I don't think a second-time interview by itself makes you more competitive or less, but you may be more matured/experienced to do better.

I know of one who got into Curtin second try. Another one got both UNSW & WSU offers in the 4th year of trying, he was likely to have done an interview with them in the previous three years.