Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Non-standard Medicine Entry

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
hi I just finished my first year of Biomedical Science at the University of Auckland and failed to gain entry as a non standard student at JMP, WSU and UNSW due to my poor UCAT performance. Would it be possible to reapply to these schools (or other schools) this year as a second year student at the University of Auckland provided I retake the UCAT this year??

Thanks
Yes, it's possible. You can reapply as many times as you want, even after completing your undergrad.

damn

Hey guys,
Not sure if this is the right thread but i was just wondering, If I've completed an undergraduate degree, am i still able to sit the UCAT and apply for undergrad med or is GAMSAT and postgrad then the only option for me?

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
Hey guys,
Not sure if this is the right thread but i was just wondering, If I've completed an undergraduate degree, am i still able to sit the UCAT and apply for undergrad med or is GAMSAT and postgrad then the only option for me?
Please have a read of the various threads on this topic, which can be accessed here: Medicine Entrance - TABLE OF CONTENTS

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey guys,

Adding to Helmut's advice, to give you a jump start as a uni student you can sit UCAT & apply to JCU JMP WSU UNSW Bond. as a graduate you have all these plus Curtin.

scopjohn

Lurker
Hey all,

I posted a while back on my decision for non-standard after graduating high school last year. I came to the conclusion of not picking biomed and got an offer for Bachelor of pharmacy(honors)/Masters in pharmacy recently (as well as biomed previously). I did some research into the pharmacy and some concerns came up for me. I've heard job prospects/opportunities are quite difficult for pharmacists but more importantly the course being difficult and boring at times. At the moment my number one goal is to get into med via non-standard so I want to make sure first year in this course will run smooth to a certain extent that it won't make the chances of achieving the required GPA a lot lower than per say biomed. I do see myself enjoying the pharmacy course as it does cater towards my interests in sciences but less so than perhaps biomed which is more related to medical biology.

I'm struggling to figure out what outweighs what and once again don't know what is a better option (biomed or pharm)

Just have a quick question about non-standard entry at JMP.

I’m hoping to apply for JMP next year after a year of Commerce/Laws at Monash.

On JMPs website it says;
“Your previous university study will be used to assess your academic eligibility if you will have completed at least one year full-time in a single program of study (full academic load, excluding credit) or its part-time equivalent at a recognised higher education institution in Australia or overseas”

does this mean that a double degree student would have to wait two years to apply since it says:
“completed at least one year full-time in a single program of study”, and law/commerce is a double degree not a “single program of study”?

Cal

vibe
Just have a quick question about non-standard entry at JMP.

I’m hoping to apply for JMP next year after a year of Commerce/Laws at Monash.

On JMPs website it says;
“Your previous university study will be used to assess your academic eligibility if you will have completed at least one year full-time in a single program of study (full academic load, excluding credit) or its part-time equivalent at a recognised higher education institution in Australia or overseas”

does this mean that a double degree student would have to wait two years to apply since it says:
“completed at least one year full-time in a single program of study”, and law/commerce is a double degree not a “single program of study”?
Nope; a dual degree is considered as one program. So you just have to finish one year of the program (1FTE which is usually 8 courses) with a high enough gpa then you are good :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey all,

I posted a while back on my decision for non-standard after graduating high school last year. I came to the conclusion of not picking biomed and got an offer for Bachelor of pharmacy(honors)/Masters in pharmacy recently (as well as biomed previously). I did some research into the pharmacy and some concerns came up for me. I've heard job prospects/opportunities are quite difficult for pharmacists but more importantly the course being difficult and boring at times. At the moment my number one goal is to get into med via non-standard so I want to make sure first year in this course will run smooth to a certain extent that it won't make the chances of achieving the required GPA a lot lower than per say biomed. I do see myself enjoying the pharmacy course as it does cater towards my interests in sciences but less so than perhaps biomed which is more related to medical biology.

I'm struggling to figure out what outweighs what and once again don't know what is a better option (biomed or pharm)

I can pretty much guarantee you (as someone who has done maaaaanny years of uni across various degrees, including medicine) that all, without exception, will have components that you find difficult and/or boring. I can also pretty much guarantee you that your “boring and difficult” will be different to the next person’s “boring and difficult”.

If pharmacy is something you’d be interested in, don’t let boring and difficult put you off. Yes, parts of it will be that (as is the case with medicine), but they’ll still be necessary.

As for employment, if you’re prepared to go rural or outer suburban, then I don’t think it’s too bad. Inner CBD pharmacies might be tougher to gain full time employment at, but a number of my pharmacist friends just work across two pharmacies.

Of the non-standards in my med year, anecdotally, I’d say the pharmacists have found the content the most straight forward.

js1213

Yes, it's possible. You can reapply as many times as you want, even after completing your undergrad.
But if you complete your undergrad, wont you then be no longer eligible to do non-standard entry and be forced to do postgrad if you still want to get into med?

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
But if you complete your undergrad, wont you then be no longer eligible to do non-standard entry and be forced to do postgrad if you still want to get into med?
Nope. You can apply after you’ve completed a degree, or two or three or hundred...

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Nope, that’s not how it works. You’re still eligible for non-standard entry once you have a completed degree, and additionally you can apply to Curtin as a non-standard student as well as nearly all graduate entry schools (depending on which uni you graduated from this may or may not include Monash and Flinders in addition to all GEMSAS schools).

H2.

Apologies if asked before, but with non-standard entry you can apply every year of study at uni right? And unis take into account atar, wam and UCAT?

bigyikes

WSU MD II
Apologies if asked before, but with non-standard entry you can apply every year of study at uni right? And unis take into account atar, wam and UCAT?
For UNSW, WSU, JMP and JCU you can apply every year of uni, for Curtin you can only apply in your final year. Unis take ATAR, WAM/GPA and UCAT into account, but all in different ways. JCU only takes ATAR and GPA, UNSW splits ATAR and GPA 50/50 and uses UCAT, WSU will take either ATAR or GPA depending on which is higher and UCAT, JMP will look at GPA as a hurdle like WSU, then use UCAT for interview invites. Curtin I'm not too sure exactly how they take it all into account.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
This should be of assistance: Non-standard Medicine Entry

To add to the above, you can apply as a non-standard even after you’ve completed your undergraduate degree. Curtin will look at your GPA and UCAT score in a 60:40 ratio to determine interview invites.

Reactions: H2.

H2.

Thank you Crow and bigyikes for your reply, very helpful :).
Further questions:
- With a 97.95 ATAR, what GPA/WAM and UCAT would be required in order to be competitve for non-standard entry at all participating universties?
- Does anyone know how to convert between WAM and GPA?

A1

Rookie Doc
Thank you Crow and bigyikes for your reply, very helpful :).
Further questions:
- With a 97.95 ATAR, what GPA/WAM and UCAT would be required in order to be competitve for non-standard entry at all participating universties?
- Does anyone know how to convert between WAM and GPA?

JCU: usually 6.2+ but we just saw a 5.7 got an offer.
WSU: GPA not relevant thanks to 97.95, UCAT 93 to 98+ %ile depending on VR score. (added by LMG! or 86th%ile if you can do a Some guy and manage to load the sub-scales perfectly!)

JMP: GPA 4.7+ and 90+ %ile.
UNSW: below 6.5 you are out, 6.5+ might just make the 99.25 cutoff, 96+ %ile.

To calc GPA give each of your course units HD=7 D=6 etc, add them up then average. Ignore their numeric marks.

H2.

JCU: usually 6.2+ but we just saw a 5.7 got an offer.
WSU: GPA not relevant thanks to 97.95, UCAT 93 to 98+ %ile depending on VR score. (added by LMG! or 86th%ile if you can do a Some guy and manage to load the sub-scales perfectly!)

JMP: GPA 4.7+ and 90+ %ile.
UNSW: below 6.5 you are out, 6.5+ might just make the 99.25 cutoff, 96+ %ile.

To calc ATAR give each of your course units HD=7 D=6 etc, add them up then average. Ignore their numeric marks.
Much appreciated. Thank you A1.
Further questions:
- Do you apply to the universities the same way. E.g. through UAC, QTAC etc. at the end of the year?
- Are there also interviews for this pathway? And are they the same format as for standard entry applicants?
- Are you considering these requirements from an interstate POV? I'm a Vic student. If so, am I mistaken or does it seem the requirements are much more convenient than for standard entry applicants?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Further questions:
- Do you apply to the universities the same way. E.g. through UAC, QTAC etc. at the end of the year?
- Are there also interviews for this pathway? And are they the same format as for standard entry applicants?
- Are you considering these requirements from an interstate POV? I'm a Vic student. If so, am I mistaken or does it seem the requirements are much more convenient than for standard entry applicants?

Yes, you apply in the same way (though via different forms in UAC at least)
Yes, there are still interviews
You, do these interviews alongside the school leaver applicants
I don’t quite understand your last question.

A1

Rookie Doc
Further questions:

1. Yes, you apply around Aug-Sept. Your GPA will be taken at end of year.

2. All four mentioned schools include an interview. The marks indicated above are for getting an interview.

3. Don't know what you mean. The process is the same as for Y12s, just with ATAR replaced by GPA where applicable.