Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Non-standard Medicine Entry

hklion101

So for example you've done 1 FTE then 1 FTE it's the second. If 1 FTE then 0.75 FTE it's the first. If 0.75 FTE then 0.75 FTE it's back to ATAR.
Mine's 0.5 FTE for the first and 1FTE for the second, so only second would be considered I'm assuming?

A1 replies: Yes only the second.

h6shfi

Lurker
Got a 98.80 ATAR, with a 7.0 GPA what would my UCAT have to be looking like to have a fair chance at UNSW and UWS

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Got a 98.80 ATAR, with a 7.0 GPA what would my UCAT have to be looking like to have a fair chance at UNSW and UWS

Have a look at the interview and offer collated data threads to get a clearer idea. Keep in mind that interview performance is a huge part of WSU entrance and a significant part of UNSW, so there’s no combo that’ll guarantee you anything.

A1

Rookie Doc
Got a 98.80 ATAR, with a 7.0 GPA what would my UCAT have to be looking like

Based on last year you need 90+ %ile to get JMP interview (then same chance as everyone else's), 90 to 98 %ile depending on composition of section scores for WSU interview.

For UNSW 98.80 + 7 GPA gives you about 99.20 equivalent. This unfortunately didn't make the threshold for interview last year regardless of UCAT. If this threshold is lower next year you'll probably need 95+ %ile to get an interview, 98+ %ile to have a fair 50/50 offer chance.

UNSW use your ATAR 50/50 with GPA regardless of how long ago you did year 12.

WSU use ATAR or GPA (whichever is higher) up until the point you gave a completed degree, then they just use GPA.

JMP use ATAR until you have 1FTE of Uni completed, then they use GPA.

Bond use a combo until you have 2FTE (I think), then it’s GPA.

JCU and Curtin use GPA (I think).

Given none of those unis have a specific 95.00ATAR requirement at any point (even for school leavers), I’d be interested to know where you’ve read that.

Thanks for the reply. It's just that I have an ATAR in the low 90's - would I have any chance for undergrad med or dentistry with a good UCAT and GPA? I emailed UNSW and they said "An applicant with an ATAR below 93.00 will not be able to raise their selection rank via tertiary study high enough for admission, and should consider applying to other institutions (e.g. Postgraduate Medical Schools)."
Thanks

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Thanks for the reply. It's just that I have an ATAR in the low 90's - would I have any chance for undergrad med or dentistry with a good UCAT and GPA? I emailed UNSW and they said "An applicant with an ATAR below 93.00 will not be able to raise their selection rank via tertiary study high enough for admission, and should consider applying to other institutions (e.g. Postgraduate Medical Schools)."
Thanks
I think you could work on your GPA in uni and apply to JMP and WSU - both use GPA as a hurdle only so you won't be disadvantaged in that regard. I'm not too familar with dentistry sorry (although I hear the GPA cutoff for Griffith dentistry is pretty high? 🤔) so someone can help you with that. Bear in mind though, that JMP requires roughly a 90th percentile UCAT to score an interview (cutoff was 2840 last year), after that it's all interview provided you meet the GPA/ATAR cutoff (which most applicants do). As for WSU, obtaining an interview invite is more difficult because of how heavily VR is weighted - a general rule of thumb is a 700+ VR score and an overall UCAT percentile somewhere in the 90s. These requirements are lower if you're a GWS student.

On another note, UNSW should really change "93.00" to something like "99.00" after implementing the 99.25 ATAR/GPA cutoff for an interview starting from last year.

iroh

Hey MSO!

I will be undertaking my first year of BMedSci at Griffith Uni in 2020 and I am looking to apply as a non-standard at WSU, JMP & UNSW for the 2021 intake. Due to Griffith's unique accelerated course I will be doing 3 Trimesters in my first year and will be mid-way my third trimester when offers come out in mid-Jan 2021. I was wondering would that mean only my GPA from my first 2 trimesters would be considered? Also I was wondering if anyone knew around what GPA I would need to maitain for an equivalent 99.5+ ATAR. Also due to me moving from NSW to QLD to study at Griffith, would I then be considered as an interstate applicant? and if so how would that affect me?

Thanks

TMG

Just wondering,
If i do undergrad biomed at monash and hold a 6.2+ GPA, which unis can i apply for in my first, second and third year?
Like i heard that you can constantly keep applying at the end of each year of your degree.
SO which unis can i apply to and what will my chances by of getting in?
Like cant i just apply for all med schools in australia like 3 times throughout my degree for medicine AND dentistry?
Am i being deluded or is this post grad med pathway a lot easier?? (Higher chance to get in)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Just wondering,
If i do undergrad biomed at monash and hold a 6.2+ GPA, which unis can i apply for in my first, second and third year?
Like i heard that you can constantly keep applying at the end of each year of your degree.
Like cant i just apply for all med schools in australia like 3 times throughout my degree for medicine AND dentistry?
Am i being deluded or is this post grad med pathway a lot easier?? (Higher chance to get in)
Non-standard universities: Non-standard Medicine Entry

Mandatory reading if you’re considering biomed: Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine

Cal

vibe
Just wondering,
Have a look around the forums, many, many times this question has been answered. If you start with the non-standard medicine entry forum it might help ;)

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Just wondering,

You’ll be able to apply to all the non standard universities every year (WSU, JMP, UNSW, JCU). There is no restriction on how many times you can apply. At the completion of your degree you’ll be able to apply to graduate schools which I believe on a numbers game - are less competitive.

I’m not sure of the specific pathways at Monash but I would be aware that doing biomed does in no way improve your chances at getting into med. I would suggest picking an alternative you are interested in as a career and with good job prospects.

see: Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Just wondering,

Read through this thread, too: NZ and Aus Entry Pathways to Medicine

If you still have questions after that, then ask them here (or other appropriate forum).

chinaski

At the completion of your degree you’ll be able to apply to graduate schools which I believe on a numbers game - are less competitive.

Applicant-to-place ratio is not an accurate reflection of "competition". The schools don't release stats on the proportion of applicants who were truly in with a chance, compared to those who realistically never would have gained an offer. The "numbers game" assumes 100% of applicants are competitive. Not true.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Applicant-to-place ratio is not an accurate reflection of "competition". The schools don't release stats on the proportion of applicants who were truly in with a chance, compared to those who realistically never would have gained an offer. The "numbers game" assumes 100% of applicants are competitive. Not true.

Exactly why I made the distinction. It’s also important that a lot of the graduate entry hopefuls would have a good amount of experience in interviews aswell as various other experiencesto draw from in interviews which age would bring.

chinaski

You still made an extrapolation about things being "less competitive", which is potentially misleading if someone reads it looking for advice RE the "easier/less competitive" pathway into med school. Fact is, nobody knows what pathway is the more competitive - and indeed, as you say, the different factors and cohorts at play makes a direct comparison akin to apples and oranges.

TMG

Hey.
Thanks for the responses :)
Just wondering are the places for non-standard applicants the same as those for undergrad applicants.
So would non-standard applicants be competing for the same no. of spots (for example like 200 undergrad spots)??

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey.
Thanks for the responses :)
Just wondering are the places for non-standard applicants the same as those for undergrad applicants.
So would non-standard applicants be competing for the same no. of spots (for example like 200 undergrad spots)??

Yes at WSU, UNSW, and JMP. No, it’s less at Bond, Curtin, and JCU.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

I’m studying commerce/law this year hoping for non-standard med entrance. I’m resitting UCAT this year. Does anyone know what the process to apply for JMP is? Would I have to wait to complete a full year then apply in 2021 or can I apply after sitting the UCAT in 2020 with results pending for semester 2 2020?

sparkle

Lurker
Hello there,
I was wondering what universities I am able to apply for med as a non-standard applicant that is in Australia?