Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Non-standard Medicine Entry

krigga

Lurker
Hello, and thanks in advance.

Is it possible to be accepted into any Australian universities for undergraduate medicine (with or without UCAT) if you are already studying a Bachelor degree (as a first year).

(Asking for a friend)

A1

Admissions Speculator
Is it possible to be accepted into any Australian universities for undergraduate medicine (with or without UCAT) if you are already studying a Bachelor degree (as a first year).
Uni students applying for undergrad medicine are called non-standard applicants. You can apply to four schools JCU, JMP, WSU, UNSW (Curtin is available but only for graduates and Bond if you can afford the fees).

See the Non-standards section in this table for the GPA/ATAR and UCAT required to be competitive
> [Undergrad] - (2020 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

Hello, I graduated in 2019 with an ATAR of 98.10 and I am interested in applying for Medicine this year. I currently study Actuarial at UNSW with a WAM of 83.50 (Distinction average) for the first trimester. I have several questions concerning the processes of applying for medical schools.

1. For applying to the available universities, is the process the same as I would have done last year, on UAC?
2. How would universities consider my academic marks, especially because UNSW uses a WAM system, not a GPA system? Would they take account all three trimesters or one/two of them?
3. Assuming that I have a very high UCAT score, will I have any chance in the slightest that I will be considered for an interview at UNSW Medicine if I perform exceptionally in my current university course for the remaining treimesters, considering my relatively low ATAR / T1. WAM?

Thank you for taking the time to read my inquiries, a response will be greately appreciated. :)

dotwingz

Irregular Member
Valued Member
1. For applying to the available universities, is the process the same as I would have done last year, on UAC?
For NSW non standard universities (UNSW, WSU, JMP) yes

2. How would universities consider my academic marks, especially because UNSW uses a WAM system, not a GPA system? Would they take account all three trimesters or one/two of them?
They will consider your GPA. UAC converts your subject grades into a grade point average using an unweighted system where they grab your transcript and convert a HD into 7, D into 6, Credit into 5, Pass 4, and average them. They will use your entire years worth of grades for this calculation (if you study less than 1 FTE however, they will use your atar).

3. Assuming that I have a very high UCAT score, will I have any chance in the slightest that I will be considered for an interview at UNSW Medicine if I perform exceptionally in my current university course for the remaining treimesters, considering my relatively low ATAR / T1. WAM?
UNSW averages out your GPA and ATAR for non standard entry. There is a table in this forum from an old UAC document that converts your GPA to an ATAR from UAC (ive tried to email UNSW and UAC about it but i couldnt figure it out). But I remember from this table the highest ATAR you could get was a 99.50 with a 6.5+ GPA so given your 98.10 ATAR you wont be able to overcome the 99.25/2830 cut off for an interview last year, always worth an application though.

edit: found that table Non-standard Medicine Entry, keep in mind this may not be accurate but its generally works with results weve seen on this board before

Last edited:

Hi! I'm going for Medicine again this year (second time lucky hopefully). I'm currently studying Mechanical/Biomedical Engineering at UNSW with a 90 HD WAM for this term, and aiming to carry the momentum through to the end of the year. I'm planning to apply to WSU and JMP, as my ATAR from 2019 puts me well out of reach of UNSW. I understand that those universities use GPA as a hurdle, with WSU being 6.2+ and JMP close to credit average. I had a couple of questions about GPA calculation:
  1. I'm taking nine courses this year. Does this equate to nine units?
  2. Two of my courses from Term 1 were changed to pass/fail grading. I passed them. Do they count in the GPA calculation or not?
  3. If they don't count in the GPA calculation, does this change the entry requirement for WSU?
    1590132935001.png
    I would have studied 9 courses/units, but if 2 don't count because of pass/fail, is it still 9 units or is it counted as 7 units?

Thanks for all the help on MSO! It helped a lot with applications and interviews last year :)

Some guy

Hi! I'm going for Medicine again this year (second time lucky hopefully). I'm currently studying Mechanical/Biomedical Engineering at UNSW with a 90 HD WAM for this term, and aiming to carry the momentum through to the end of the year. I'm planning to apply to WSU and JMP, as my ATAR from 2019 puts me well out of reach of UNSW. I understand that those universities use GPA as a hurdle, with WSU being 6.2+ and JMP close to credit average. I had a couple of questions about GPA calculation:
  1. I'm taking nine courses this year. Does this equate to nine units?
  2. Two of my courses from Term 1 were changed to pass/fail grading. I passed them. Do they count in the GPA calculation or not?
  3. If they don't count in the GPA calculation, does this change the entry requirement for WSU?
    View attachment 3407
    I would have studied 9 courses/units, but if 2 don't count because of pass/fail, is it still 9 units or is it counted as 7 units?

Thanks for all the help on MSO! It helped a lot with applications and interviews last year :)
I'd imagine the pass/fail units will count towards your total number of units completed, but be ignored when calculating GPA. But ask WSU Admissions directly, for peace of mind. There's a lot of pass/fail results being brought in re covid, so the answer will probably be useful for others here too.

And congrats on the WAM!

A1

Admissions Speculator
I'm fairly sure it will count as having done 9 units. Your GPA will the total grade points of the seven graded units divided by 7.

> How your tertiary qualifications are graded and assessed

"In UAC’s methodology, ungraded passes are not included in the calculation of a GPA except:
  • where these advantage the student ie when the student has a GPA of less than 4 (then an ungraded pass is included as 4 to raise the GPA).
  • when more than 50% of the load presented comprises ungraded passes. In this instance, the GPA would be calculated with the ungraded passes included in the calculation."

I'd imagine the pass/fail units will count towards your total number of units completed, but be ignored when calculating GPA. But ask WSU Admissions directly, for peace of mind. There's a lot of pass/fail results being brought in re covid, so the answer will probably be useful for others here too.

And congrats on the WAM!
Thank you! I'll email WSU Admissions to get clarification on the questions I asked and share their response here.

I'm fairly sure it will count as having done 9 units. Your GPA will the total grade points of the seven graded units divided by 7.

> How your tertiary qualifications are graded and assessed

"In UAC’s methodology, ungraded passes are not included in the calculation of a GPA except:
  • where these advantage the student ie when the student has a GPA of less than 4 (then an ungraded pass is included as 4 to raise the GPA).
  • when more than 50% of the load presented comprises ungraded passes. In this instance, the GPA would be calculated with the ungraded passes included in the calculation."
I hope so!

My perception of UNSW's approach is that after this ATAR/GPA combination you are simply placed into the same pool of applicants as the school leavers. If this is a correct assumption then you absolutely have a chance given a good tertiary record.
Would anyone have any idea if WSU and JMP do the same thing?