Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

NZ Students Studying in Australia

Cathay

🚂Train Driver🚆
Emeritus Staff
Various Otago med students tell me to go to Aus over Otago as their programs are better whilst some say stay in NZ because Aus students will be prioritised by Aus hospitals
I think the only real question there is "do you want to be a doctor in NZ?" - if so, it would be advisable to study in NZ. Medicine is a profession where you should study in the country you intend to work, if at all possible. The NZ PGY1 (internship year) job-matching gives priority to those graduating from a NZ medical school.

As A1 pointed out, you can't get an Aus student loan, nor a NZ student loan, if you study medicine in Australia, and are therefore required to pay essentially the domestic tuition fee plus your own living costs. This means you (or at least your parents) will need deep pockets.

The conventional wisdom of MSO has been that New Zealanders should only study medicine in Australia if they have been turned down from NZ medical schools, are prepared to fork out quite a bit of money, and are okay with the possibility of having to stay and work in Australia for a number of years.

Side note: I don't think "their programs are better" (if true) actually counts for anything - all the accredited medical schools in Aus/NZ aim to make you a safe, competent intern (PGY1), and as far as I know, "which Aus/NZ med school you went to" doesn't really affect anything further down the line for specialty application etc.

Verdigris

baby med student
Silliest Member 2019
Hey so I'm on the waitlist for med but unlikely to get in (91.28) and I was looking to apply to oz, just wondering about your situation and how you got to australia!
milo8867 feif LSNZ

hi everyone if u have questions about my experience please send them to me in a direct/private message or post them to my wall so i can answer them in another blog post x

Toms

Lurker
hi everyone if u have questions about my experience please send them to me in a direct/private message or post them to my wall so i can answer them in another blog post x
Hey,
Congrats on getting the offer from Aussie, I was just wondering how did they convert your NZ gpa into the GEMSAS GPA, is it true that if you get an A- or above, its converted into the max 7 there?

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Hey,
Congrats on getting the offer from Aussie, I was just wondering how did they convert your NZ gpa into the GEMSAS GPA, is it true that if you get an A- or above, its converted into the max 7 there?
Yes - anything 80% or above = 7, 70% or above = 6 etc. If every single unit you’ve taken in NZ scored over 80, then you’ll have a 7 GPA. If not, it’s slightly more complicated but still very simple to calculate. :)

Verdigris

baby med student
Silliest Member 2019
Hey,
if u wanna check specifically, check out:

Hey Verd, considering applying to Australia next year. Only thing that is concerning me is GAMSAT! how did you do? and does it seem that for the GEMSAS you need to reach or threshold, or is it weighted?
Greatly Appreciate any help! - Sorry if this is basic info, but was getting confused looking at the website!

Verdigris

baby med student
Silliest Member 2019

Gemma

So apparently all I do now is write this blog
Ive read everything on your blog and its super helpful! Thanks so much for writing it :) All the best for your year at UQ - would love to know how you find it

benster

Lurker
Hi, I'm not sure where to post this but I have a few questions (which probably have been answered, if so could you link it) about applying to study dentistry in Australia as an undergraduate. I just completed HSFY at University of Otago and have been waitlisted for dent so I am looking at applying for Australia at the end of this year.

1. Can I apply for Dental schools in Australia such as UQ, Griffith, Adelaide after completing a bachelor of science at Otago University at the end of this year?
2. Can I apply for Dental schools in Australia such as UQ, Griffith, Adelaide after completing first year engineering at the University of Auckland?
3. Will I have to sit the UCAT again? What percentile will I need?
4. To convert my GPA from NZ to Australia, is it true that for both Otago and Auckland that GPA of 85+ = GPA of 7 in Australia so I'll need to score at least an 85 in majority of my papers?
5. What are the best Australian dental schools?
6. How much roughly does it cost to study Dentistry in Australia each year?

Thanks so much in advance for answering these questions, it'll save me a lot of time! :)

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
Hi, I'm not sure where to post this but I have a few questions (which probably have been answered, if so could you link it) about applying to study dentistry in Australia as an undergraduate. I just completed HSFY at University of Otago and have been waitlisted for dent so I am looking at applying for Australia at the end of this year.

1. Can I apply for Dental schools in Australia such as UQ, Griffith, Adelaide after completing a bachelor of science at Otago University at the end of this year?
2. Can I apply for Dental schools in Australia such as UQ, Griffith, Adelaide after completing first year engineering at the University of Auckland?
3. Will I have to sit the UCAT again? What percentile will I need?
4. To convert my GPA from NZ to Australia, is it true that for both Otago and Auckland that GPA of 85+ = GPA of 7 in Australia so I'll need to score at least an 85 in majority of my papers?
5. What are the best Australian dental schools?
6. How much roughly does it cost to study Dentistry in Australia each year?

Thanks so much in advance for answering these questions, it'll save me a lot of time! :)
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, if you want to be eligible for all options, look at the collated data thread for an idea of what result you’ll need
4. I’m not sure
5. They are all accredited and you come out as a qualified dentist so the ‘best’ is whichever gives you an offer! Griffith has a full fee component for the final two years which is prohibitive for some
6. It varies drastically from Uni to Uni due to location/cost of living and the full fee Masters at Griffith. You can easily do this research yourself.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Correct, though it depends on the university I think. If you were to go through the graduate entry pathway, then the cutoff for a 7 at those particular universities is 80 rather than 85.

I can confirm this is true, at least for QTAC. I got 85+ in all my papers in Uni of Auckland and they gave me a gpa of 7.