Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Rural Eligibility and General Discussion

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I have recieved back an email from UQ's Medicine Admissions Officer.

"It is based on the data set from the most recent national census.

So at the moment we are required to use the 2016 data set. About 6-12 months after the 2021 census has been conducted, the data set will change to the 2021 census data.

These rules are set by the Department of Health, they are not determined by the individual universities."

From this all I have gathered is that it is indeed invalid because it is only based on the most recent census. I will regardless continue to enquire further before applying to any Med Schools next year.

I think I see what you're saying. The location you lived in was classed as rural up until 2011, but then the ruling changed and it was no longer classified as rural? And it has not been considered rural ever since? I initially read your post as saying you lived somewhere rural until 2011 (and then you moved).

Also, I think it's worth pointing out that while the classifications are set by the Department of Health, the way in which they are used is most certainly decided at a university level. Some universities use RA, some use RRMA, some use MMM, some don't worry about rurality at all, some 'grade' rurality...

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
What they are saying is that the rurality of the areas that you have lived in will be assessed by the most recent ASGS classification, which is based off the census data. Which is what i meant when i said all classification is based of ASGS 2016 (edit: for uni's that use ASGS, some use rrma or mmm)

What I understood in your initial post was that you were living in a RA2 area until 2011. I see now you might of meant that the area that you were living in, was classified rural until 2011.

If it is the latter, then you are not eligble for rural. My apologies for the confusion, I think LMG and I misread what you posted

WilliamR

JCU MBBS I
Does anyone know if being RA3 vs RA5 rural makes a difference in regards to cutoffs??

Last edited by a moderator:

day331

I have legit applied to all of them.... I am RA5.
What Unis do rank rurality?
From what I've read,
UNSW: ranks you based on rurality and uses that as 25% of their decision with interview, ATAR and UCAT
UTAS: gives 4 extra ATAR points RA2 students and 5 ATAR points to RA3-5 students
JCU: has 20% of the spots allocated for RA2 and 60% for RA3-5 (i think?)

E_N

This is just a general summary of what I've researched for rurality and med school acceptance (and although I know each university is different), they seem to have certain similarities in some aspects. Feel free to correct me and I will edit the list.
  1. Each university has a certain reserved quota for rural applicants - something like 30% of all their available places.
  2. Most universities use The Australian Government Department of Health Health Workforce Locator to classify whether you are classified as a rural applicant. Most universities use the ASGS or ASGC Classifications.
  3. Generally an applicant will be in the RA2-5 range to be classified as 'rural' (although this largely depends on the university).
  4. Rural applicants get certain benefits such as adjustment factors for ATAR/UCAT rankings and alternate access pathways to medicine. The main benefit of being a rural student is that you are only competing against other rural applicants for a position in med school - that is, you will not compete with city students for a position.
  5. Remember that each university is different and the time required to have lived in a rural area (to classify as a rural applicant), whether that is cumulatively or consecutively, will vary. Research your university of interest and find out their classification of a 'rural applicant'.
Another two questions.
1. What happens if your ATAR/UCAT is adjusted to be higher than what you have, but doesn't fit within the range of applicable scores? e.g. ATAR of 98 is raised by two adjustment factors (two points). Will the final ranking be ATAR 99.95?
2. The difference between ASGS and ASGC?

Last edited:

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
What happens if your ATAR/UCAT is adjusted to be higher than what you have, but doesn't fit within the range of applicable scores? e.g. ATAR of 98 is raised by two adjustment factors (two points). Will the final ranking be ATAR 99.95?
"Points" don't always directly convert to ATAR, for UQ it definitely does i.e. 2 "points" for studying a second language will bring up your ATAR by 2. As for what happens if you get +2 from, say, 98.5, I'm not 100% sure what UQ is doing as it will either go straight to 99.95 or possibly even higher (meaning that someone with 99.0 base + 2 bonus will technically "rank" higher than you). I haven't kept up to date with UQ admissions lately, I'm not sure whether they still treat all ATARs above 99 the same, in which case everyone will be on even footing.
For universities under SATAC on the other hand, 2 bonus points doesn't mean 2 extra ATAR. First SATAC converts your ATAR into their aggregate out of 90, adds 2 to that, then converts it back to a new, adjusted ATAR. The way they've set out the conversion system reflects how difficult it is to improve your ATAR from where you're sitting, meaning that +2 aggregate might bring a 70 ATAR to 75, but a 99 to only 99.5 (example). You might want to do some further reading into that on the SATAC website (as well as take a look at their annual aggregate to ATAR conversion tables).

Last edited:
Reactions: E_N

dande

1. What happens if your ATAR/UCAT is adjusted to be higher than what you have, but doesn't fit within the range of applicable scores? e.g. ATAR of 98 is raised by two adjustment factors (two points). Will the final ranking be ATAR 99.95?
to further add on to what ucatboy said, I believe some unis (like Monash) dont actually look at the ATAR specifically to rank people but rather they use your aggregate score which for VIC is the scaled sum of your study scores . this allows them to differentiate people even if they have the same ATAR so technically whilst you won't be able to see the difference yourself you may have a higher aggregate which ranks you higher then them in the selection process. so technically no, the final ranking will be 99.95 but the extra aggregate points will still help you in the selection process if that makes sense.
This is something I found on the Monash website if you want to see for yourself.
"Our selection for the January 2021 MMI interviews will be based on your aggregate score and UCAT score, as per the usual process. This means you could have the same ATAR as someone else, but a lower scaled aggregate score so that person might be selected for an interview, while you were not. Scaled aggregates are subject to change year on year, however here is the 2019 table to give you an example of the range:"

Reactions: E_N

Eleanor Rigby

Do rural applicants receive their offers before the 10th of January 2021? in reference to UNSW rural scheme, JMP/UON rural scheme and JPM/CSU rural scheme.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Do rural applicants receive their offers before the 10th of January 2021? in reference to UNSW rural scheme, JMP/UON rural scheme and JPM/CSU rural scheme.

Previously yes for WSU but not last year and not planned for this year. Previously no for both JMP and UNSW except for the fact that interstate rurals may have received a first round offer as they interviewed earlier than their non-rural interstate counterparts who had to wait until the second round. Regardless, rural JMP and UNSW students haven’t received offers prior to the first Jan UAC round, regardless of state of residence. I don’t expect that to change for 2021.

Eleanor Rigby

Previously yes for WSU but not last year and not planned for this year. Previously no for both JMP and UNSW except for the fact that interstate rurals may have received a first round offer as they interviewed earlier than their non-rural interstate counterparts who had to wait until the second round. Regardless, rural JMP and UNSW students haven’t received offers prior to the first Jan UAC round, regardless of state of residence. I don’t expect that to change for 2021.
Thank you LMG. I like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your opinions, comments, advice. Without it, I would be having a few sleepless nights. So thank you & a Merry Christmas. 🎄

medlad12

what would the lowest UCAT score be to get an offer from a rural student RA2 compared to a non-rural, I did look at the offer forum its just that does anyone have any insight of lower scores?

A1

Rookie Doc
what would the lowest UCAT score be to get an offer from a rural student RA2 compared to a non-rural
It depends which med schools. Generally rural 60+%ile UCAT, or even 50ish, can get a few interviews. Off the top of my head : JMP, UNSW (but check that your RA2 is rural for UNSW), maybe UQ etc.

medlad12

It depends which med schools. Generally rural 60+%ile UCAT, or even 50ish, can get a few interviews. Off the top of my head : JMP, UNSW (but check that your RA2 is rural for UNSW), maybe UQ etc.
When you mean some might get an interview with 50%ile does this mean that they can also get an offer, or will they have to perform extremely well in the interview. If that is the case, does a higher ucat score mean it will balance out poor interview performance?

A1

Rookie Doc
When you mean some might get an interview with 50%ile does this mean that they can also get an offer, or will they have to perform extremely well in the interview. If that is the case, does a higher ucat score mean it will balance out poor interview performance?
Again it depends which school. JMP offers are based entirely on the interview so doesn't matter whether you got the interview with 50%ile or 90%ile. Otoh UNSW/Monash count UCAT 1/3rd of the final ranking, a low UCAT means you need higher ATAR better interview performance (relative to other rural applicants), and vice versa, to be as competitive.

See the Place Offer Weightings column in this table for more info
> [Undergrad] - (2020 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

Hi, first time poster here. I have a question on rural eligibility. I have been residing in a rural area (RA2 4y, RA3 4y) for 8 consecutive years after finishing high school in a metropolitan area. UNSW emailed today to say I’m not eligible as a rural applicant as any addresses I have lived at after high school do not count towards the minimum consecutive 5 years.

Does anyone have any experience with the UNSW rural requirements that could explain why this is the case? I won’t secure an interview as a local applicant as my UCAT score is 2780 / GPA 7.0.

Wolverine

Hi, first time poster here. I have a question on rural eligibility. I have been residing in a rural area (RA2 4y, RA3 4y) for 8 consecutive years after finishing high school in a metropolitan area. UNSW emailed today to say I’m not eligible as a rural applicant as any addresses I have lived at after high school do not count towards the minimum consecutive 5 years.

Does anyone have any experience with the UNSW rural requirements that could explain why this is the case? I won’t secure an interview as a local applicant as my UCAT score is 2780 / GPA 7.0.
UNSW uses the RRMA system IIRC, not the RA system. Some RA2 areas don't meet the criteria for rurality under RRMA. Would you be able to find out what RRMA each address is? I don't recall there being a clause saying it had to be before the end of high school.

Scrivo_72

The Humerus 2021

One reason could be is that they use RRMA instead of RA.

UNSW uses the RRMA system IIRC, not the RA system. Some RA2 areas don't meet the criteria for rurality under RRMA. Would you be able to find out what RRMA each address is? I don't recall there being a clause saying it had to be before the end of high school.
My addresses are all classified as RRMA 5.