Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT Results Discussion 2019

A1

Admissions Speculator
Mod Note: Answered for UTAS.

Applying for:
Medicine and Dentistry
Application Type: School leaver (Current Year 12)
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99 conservative, 99.35-99.6 more realistic
UCAT Percentile Rank: 97
VR: 630
DM: 720
QR: 830
AR: 830
Total: 3010
SJ: 621
Current State: WA
Applying to: 1. UWA DMD, 2. UQ Dental science, 3/4. UWA/Curtin MD/MBBS, 5. UQ MD, 6. UTas MBBS
Rural Applicant: Yes, RA2, MM2
GWS Applicant: No
Indigenous Applicant: No
Other: Broadway
Specific Question:

1. How well (roughly) would I need to answer the interview to get an offer for the UWA DMD? What would you rate my chances overall of getting a place?
2. Do I basically have a spot at UQ Dental science, assuming I pass english? (And UQ MD, UTas MBBS?)
3. Similarly for UWA MD, and Curtin MBBS, how would you rate my chances, would I still get in with a mediocre interview?
2) Yes you are practically assured of a UQ Dent or UQ Med offer, depending which one is higher in your prefs.
1) & 3) I have not looked much into UWA & Curtin to be sure. However since your best component UCAT counts only half as much as ATAR & interview in the final ranking I'd say your offer chances are 50/50 for regular pathway, 60-70% for Broadway. A mediocre interview is possibly not enough.

A1

Admissions Speculator
Applying for: Medicine
Application Type: School Year
Predicted ATAR/GPA: Unsure as I take CIE, but most likely 2 A* and 2 A as final grades
UCAT Percentile Rank:
VR: 760
DM: 840
QR: 810
AR: 710
Total: 3110
SJ: 677
Current State: NZ
Applying to: UNSW, UQ, Adelaide, Newcastle, Otago, Western Sydney
Rural Applicant: no
GWS Applicant: no
Indigenous Applicant: no
You should get interviews with all these schools (place offer for UQ), no idea about Otago though.

You may have a little logistical problem in that when the schools determine place offers (interview invites for UNSW) in early January, your CIE results and ATAR conversion are still not available to the TAC/schools. I remember there were such problems last year, not sure whether that was IB or CIE.

Jenga118

2) Yes you are practically assured of a UQ Dent or UQ Med offer, depending which one is higher in your prefs.
1) & 3) I have not looked much into UWA & Curtin to be sure. However since your best component UCAT counts only half as much as ATAR & interview in the final ranking I'd say your offer chances are 50/50 for regular pathway, 60-70% for Broadway. A mediocre interview is possibly not enough.
Thanks for the response A1, would you say my chances are better for the rural pathway, rather than Broadway?

Chirene

Mod Note: Answered

I’m in the unique situation of having to apply to Monash as a SA student (on gap year) as my family is moving there permanently next year.

How they tough is it for interstaters? I got a 3050 (97%ile), with a 99.3 ATAR.

Last edited by a moderator:

LMG!

Admodistrator
I’m in the unique situation of having to apply to Monash as a SA student (on gap year) as my family is moving there permanently next year.

How they tough is it for interstaters? I got a 3050 (97%ile), with a 99.3 ATAR.
I can assure you that there will be many, many, many interstate applicants applying to Monash, including from SA. The fact that you won’t be unique at all is kind of the problem. There appears to be very few places available for non-Victorians, and it drives the UCAT/ATAR combo requirements up very high due to the number of people vying for those spots. Given what we had reported here last year, you might be just on the lucky side. Good luck!

ETA: these are the scores we had reported here that got interstate interviews last year: 92nd%ile +99.90, 98th%ile + 99.95, 99th%ile + 99.70, so it might actually be tighter for you than I first thought.

A1

Admissions Speculator
Thanks for the response A1, would you say my chances are better for the rural pathway, rather than Broadway?
Haha that's a new type of question we have never seen before.

My impression is there are pros and cons. Rural pathway offers 40 places vs Broadway 30. However the final ranking for rural includes an equally weighted Rurality score ("A rurality score will be calculated based on the location of the applicant's secondary school for each of the 5 years of secondary education.")

So if you are only "marginally" rural you may be disadvantaged by this inclusion in the rural pathway. You have to judge for yourself whether it's worth risking that disadvantage for the 10 extra places.

Jenga118

Haha that's a new type of question we have never seen before.

My impression is there are pros and cons. Rural pathway offers 40 places vs Broadway 30. However the final ranking for rural includes an equally weighted Rurality score ("A rurality score will be calculated based on the location of the applicant's secondary school for each of the 5 years of secondary education.")

So if you are only "marginally" rural you may be disadvantaged by this inclusion in the rural pathway. You have to judge for yourself whether it's worth risking that disadvantage for the 10 extra places.
It's a real toss-up.

On one hand, I should have an alright rurality score, compared to people that moved to Perth for high school. I've been in an RA2 location for all my Australian education, Year 5+.

On the other hand, this would be much much less than people living in remote areas, that are RA3 and beyond.

I'm thinking the quality for Broadway students would be of a slightly higher standard, as I've heard of more 99+ Atar scores, but I don't really have hard facts to back that claim.

I guess I've got a month to decide, hopefully they allow you to opt into both :p.

damn

Applying for:
Medicine
Application Type: School Leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 98.5 - Low 99s
UCAT Percentile Rank: 90
VR: 660
DM: 750
QR: 780
AR: 650
Total: 2840
SJ: 654
Current State: NSW
Applying to:
All universities but UNSW or WSU would be ideal
Rural Applicant: No
GWS Applicant:
Yes
Other: none
Specific Question:
What are chances at all unis?

Thanks Guys!

LMG!

Admodistrator
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 98.5 - Low 99s
UCAT Percentile Rank: 90
VR: 660
DM: 750
QR: 780
AR: 650
Total: 2840
SJ: 654
Applying to:
All universities but UNSW or WSU would be ideal
GWS Applicant:
Yes
Specific Question:
What are chances at all unis?

Thanks Guys!
Interviews at: UAdel (hopefully), JMP, Curtin (Maybe, we don’t have much data), UWA if you get 99.0+, and hopefully WSU based on GWS status. UTAS is worth a (free) application because it’s a bit of an unknown this year.

Probably not for UNSW (unless you can push more towards mid-99.x) or Monash. No for Griffith, UQ, Flinders, or USyd.

Good luck!

TKAO

crossed fingers for ATAR
Gold star winner
I'd just like to take a moment here while the results page has settled down to formally thank LMG!, A1, Crow and Yamster especially, as well as the other staff, for sifting through our collective statistics to give even mildly reasonable probabilities of success and advice on how to move on. It has been invaluable to me, as it probably is to many other users. To share your expertise and advice to aspiring doctors/dentists at this crucial time just after UCAT but before ATAR is a selfless act, especially considering that many of us (me included) have never really known about the nuances of each of the medical schools requirements until hearing it from you guys. Thanks for sticking with us.

Once again, I'd like to honour all of you guys for helping people like me out. It means a great deal.
P.S Chuck the comment a like if you'd like to show some support.

REGULAR JOE

I'd just like to take a moment here while the results page has settled down to formally thank LMG!, A1 and Yamster especially, as well as the other staff, for sifting through our collective statistics to give even mildly reasonable probabilities of success and advice on how to move on. It has been invaluable to me, as it probably is to many other users. To share your expertise and advice to aspiring doctors/dentists at this crucial time just after UCAT but before ATAR is a selfless act, especially considering that many of us (me included) have never really known about the nuances of each of the medical schools requirements until hearing it from you guys. Thanks for sticking with us.

Once again, I'd like to honour all of you guys for helping people like me out. It means a great deal.
P.S Chuck the comment a like if you'd like to show some support.
Yes. I really want to thank them, especially for answering my rather dumb questions!!

coloursmile

Mod Note: Answered.

Applying for:
Medicine
Application Type: Gap Year
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.70
UCAT Percentile Rank: 98
VR: 590
DM: 730
QR: 900
AR: 890
SJ: 719
Applying to: UNSW, WSU, JMP, Monash
Specific Question: What would my chances of getting a place at these 4 universities?

abash80

Mod Note: Answered.

Applying for
: Medicine
Application Type: Non-Standard
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 5.25 :/
VR: 700
DM: 780
QR: 860
AR: 780
Total: 3120
SJ: 670
Applying to: JMP, WSU
GWS Applicant: Yes
Other: N/A
Specific Question: Chances?
Are interview invites given based on GPA right now or predicted GPA by end of year?
JMP application asks for a Tertiary Studies summary for current or previous years. I completed half a year of a degree and then changed to another degree the following year. Does this put me at a disadvantage? Don't want to come across as indecisive in my application, or am I just overthinking?

Kezza

abash80
JMP application asks for a Tertiary Studies summary for current or previous years. I completed half a year of a degree and then changed to another degree the following year.
  • Study undertaken across two or more programs of study cannot be combined to satisfy the one full-time year of study requirement.
  • Credit granted in a program of study is not taken into account when calculating the full-time study load, that is, a candidate must have enrolled in and completed one full year of study with a full academic load (or part-time equivalent).
Unless you have completed 1 year of full time study they may not be able to use your GPA as this is also quoted in their prospectus:
  • Determination of academic eligibility will be based on your most recent program of study where you have completed at least one year of full time study
This could mean your ATAR is used if you have not completed a full year of FTE study in your new program? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Otherwise i believe your UCAT percentile is more then good enough for an interview at both JMP and WSU (considering you are GWS)

A1

Admissions Speculator
Application Type: Non-Standard
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 5.25 :/
VR: 700
DM: 780
QR: 860
AR: 780
Total: 3120
SJ: 670
Applying to: JMP, WSU
GWS Applicant: Yes
Other: N/A
Specific Question: Chances?
Are interview invites given based on GPA right now or predicted GPA by end of year?
JMP application asks for a Tertiary Studies summary for current or previous years. I completed half a year of a degree and then changed to another degree the following year. Does this put me at a disadvantage? Don't want to come across as indecisive in my application, or am I just overthinking?
Adding to Kezza's reply, based on 98%ile WSU & JMP will give you an interview without caring much about GPA at the invite stage. Afterwards if you qualify for an offer it will be subject to your GPA (at end of year) passing the hurdle, in your GWS case you need either ATAR 93.5+ or GPA 5.5+ for WSU (or 6.0+ if they rule you have done less than 1 FTE year uni) and 4.7+ for JMP.

In case JMP rules you have done less than 1 FTE year they will check that your ATAR was 94.3+.

Last edited:

A1

Admissions Speculator
Application Type: Gap Year
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.70
VR: 590
DM: 730
QR: 900
AR: 890
SJ: 719
Applying to: UNSW, WSU, JMP, Monash
Specific Question: What would my chances of getting a place at these 4 universities?
You will definitely get interviews with all these 4 schools.
Your chances for place offer are 70-80% UNSW & Monash, 25-30% JMP & WSU.

A1

Admissions Speculator
I'm confused as to why you've give this person a low chance for JMP wsu
UNSW & Monash count ATAR+UCAT 66% of the final ranking, giving 99.7+98%ile a huge head start going into the interview.

JMP counts ATAR+UCAT zero%, everyone has the 1 in 4 chance before the interview.
WSU counts ATAR zero%, UCAT 25% (as such I should bump up WSU to 35-40% on account of 98%ile but it's only an estimate no point being so precise).

Ucataus

Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99+
UCAT Percentile Rank: 93
Total: 2890
SJ: 631
Current State: QLD
Applying to: UQ bonded and unbonded, Griffith and every other possible
Specific Question: What are my chances at UQ

Totolier

UNSW & Monash count ATAR+UCAT 66% of the final ranking, giving 99.7+98%ile a huge head start going into the interview.

JMP counts ATAR+UCAT zero%, everyone has the 1 in 4 chance before the interview.
WSU counts ATAR zero%, UCAT 25% (as such I should bump up WSU to 35-40% on account of 98%ile but it's only an estimate no point being so precise).
hmmm alright. I think you're doing a great job but just a suggestion that for future people seeing these numbers without the explanation might freak out. If there's another way to say those percentage chance predictions please do so