Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT Results Discussion 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
More interesting stats..... for folks applying to Monash.

I have verified from Med Deans data Monash school-leaver intakes have been steady around 240 a year. From VTAC reports like this > (Application Statistics 2018/19 - Undergraduate - VTAC) these were the numbers of offers Monash made in the first round to local & rural applicants

2014 intake: 179 - 2015: 177 - 2016: 197 - 2017: 219 - 2018: 215 - 2019: 219

Basically in 2014/2015 Monash set aside 60+ places for the ~100 interstate interviewees. Now only 21 !!

This also confirms what I mentioned earlier. Of the ~100 interstate invited to interview quite a few didn't attend since they already got a home state offer, thus practically anyone who bothered to turn up got an offer.
So there is some merit in thinking that unis can artificially raise the requirements for interstate interviewees by purposefully reducing the number the available spots for them, thereby favouring local applicants? Therefore, the conjecture that unis just look at previous records and set aside interstate places accordingly to ensure that the cutoffs are the same isn't necessarily true. Wouldn't this mean that unis that hold separate rounds for interviews for local/interstate applicants have the power favour local applicants? Not necessarily all of them do - but they can.

ABT123

So there is some merit in thinking that unis can artificially raise the requirements for interstate interviewees by purposefully reducing the number the available spots for them, thereby favouring local applicants? Therefore, the conjecture that unis just look at previous records and set aside interstate places accordingly to ensure that the cutoffs are the same isn't necessarily true. Wouldn't this mean that unis that hold separate rounds for interviews for local/interstate applicants have the power favour local applicants? Not necessarily all of them do - but they can.
Yeh, but I really think that UNSW maintains fairness to interstate applicants (as well as those doing IB), as they state that anyone who's total combined score/rank is above the cutoff for 1st round offers should receive a 2nd round offer.

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
Therefore, the conjecture that unis just look at previous records and set aside interstate places accordingly to ensure that the cutoffs are the same isn't necessarily true.

We have never conjectured this^ for Monash. It may have been true 4-5 years ago but definitely not the last three years.

zx72ksq8o

What would be my prospect of making it into rural UNSW med with a UCAT of 96%ile and an ATAR of 99.95? What about UTAS, Curtin, Monash?

Fay19

Applying for: Medicine and Dentistry
Application Type: School-leaver
Predicted ATAR: 98.5
UCAT Percentile Rank: 85%ile
VR: 600
DM: 590
QR: 710
AR: 860
Total: 2760
SJ: 610
Current State: NSW
Applying to: every med/dent school
Rural Applicant: no
GWS Applicant: no
Indigenous Applicant: no
Other: None
Specific Question:
1. What're my chances for Med or Dent anywhere? Am I totally screwed?
2. Does Bond worthed?

Cal

vibe
Applying for: Medicine and Dentistry
Application Type: School-leaver
Predicted ATAR: 98.5
UCAT Percentile Rank: 85%ile
VR: 600
DM: 590
QR: 710
AR: 860
Total: 2760
SJ: 610
Applying to: every med/dent school
Specific Question:
1. What're my chances for Med or Dent anywhere? Am I totally screwed?
2. Does Bond worthed?
So for med, You are looking at JCU (with a good written component), JMP (possibly depending on interview cut off this year boarder line), possibly Curtin, possibly Adelaide if you are very lucky with a lower interview cutoff. For dentistry, UADEL is a most likely for interview as cutoff was 83rd last year and they have increased numbers, And possibly UQ if you are very lucky and providing you have bonus points to get to the 99 rank. Other than that your marginal ucat and sub 99 atar puts you in a bit of a weird position. Definitely try for everything you want because you never know. Also bond is an option, but imo not worth it vs an extra year of uni and ucat study/improved atar equivalent. But up to you

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
What would be my prospect of making it into rural UNSW med with a UCAT of 96%ile and an ATAR of 99.95? What about UTAS, Curtin, Monash?
For these you’ve essentially guaranteed yourself an offer provided you don’t completely mess up the interview.

UTAS is a little different as I believe rural applicants need to complete a written application that forms a significant part of the selection criteria (is that still part of the criteria this year LMG! ?), but you should receive an offer as part of the non-rural applicant pool anyway, provided UTAS makes offers to interstate students this year.

Congratulations on your incredible scores! :)

Fay19

So for med, You are looking at JCU (with a good written component), JMP (possibly depending on interview cut off this year boarder line), possibly Curtin, possibly Adelaide if you are very lucky with a lower interview cutoff. For dentistry, UADEL is a most likely for interview as cutoff was 83rd last year and they have increased numbers, And possibly UQ if you are very lucky and providing you have bonus points to get to the 99 rank. Other than that your marginal ucat and sub 99 atar puts you in a bit of a weird position. Definitely try for everything you want because you never know. Also bond is an option, but imo not worth it vs an extra year of uni and ucat study/improved atar equivalent. But up to you

Thank you so much for your honest and detailed reply.

Reactions: Cal

zx72ksq8o

For these you’ve essentially guaranteed yourself an offer provided you don’t completely mess up the interview.

UTAS is a little different as I believe rural applicants need to complete a written application that forms a significant part of the selection criteria (is that still part of the criteria this year LMG! ?), but you should receive an offer as part of the non-rural applicant pool anyway, provided UTAS makes offers to interstate students this year.

Thank you !! :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

samyang ramen apparently the written application has been ditched for rural entry to UTAS, you still need to complete the RAP form, but there are no SAQs to go with it. Just double check this when you do the application though.

Applying for: Medicine
Application Type: Non-standard
ATAR: 98.5
Predicted GPA : Currently 6.4 but should be able to push it to 6.5
UCAT Percentile Rank: 96%ile
VR: 630
DM: 700
QR: 830
AR: 820
Total: 2980
SJ: 625
Applying to: JMP, JCU, WSU and UNSW
Specific Question:
1. Potential chances for the unis listed ?

Thank you so much !!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Applying for: Medicine
Application Type: Non-standard
ATAR: 98.5
Predicted GPA : Currently 6.4 but should be able to push it to 6.5
UCAT Percentile Rank: 96%ile
VR: 630
DM: 700
QR: 830
AR: 820
Total: 2980
SJ: 625
Applying to: JMP, JCU, WSU and UNSW
Specific Question:
1. Potential chances for the unis listed ?

Thank you so much !!

You’ll get an interview at JMP and also likely at WSU. I’d say probably not for UNSW, but you may scrape one so it’s still worth adding to UAC given you’ll be paying the application fee anyway.

JCU will be entirely dependent on your written application. 6.5 can be competitive as long as you nail the written part.

Hey guys,
I’m applying for medicine this year, and I got a 97 UCAT but my ATAR seems to be on the low side (high 98s and if I am lucky a 99 or 99.1 - at the moment I’d say 98.8 or 98.9).
Also, I can apply for SEAS consideration at Monash which grants me an adjusted ATAR (98.8 gets adjusted to 99.8). Furthermore, as I do Extension 2 Maths, I get two bonus points at University of Queensland, meaning a 97 could translate to a 99.
Would you guys be able to give me a rundown on my chances at UNSW, UWS, Newcastle, Monash and UQ?

CatzDreaming

Medical Student 🐐
Hey guys,
I’m applying for medicine this year, and I got a 97 UCAT but my ATAR seems to be on the low side (high 98s and if I am lucky a 99 or 99.1 - at the moment I’d say 98.8 or 98.9).
Also, I can apply for SEAS consideration at Monash which grants me an adjusted ATAR (98.8 gets adjusted to 99.8). Furthermore, as I do Extension 2 Maths, I get two bonus points at University of Queensland, meaning a 97 could translate to a 99.
Would you guys be able to give me a rundown on my chances at UNSW, UWS, Newcastle, Monash and UQ?
Just to clarify, what state are you studying for in year 12?

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey guys,

You can be certain of a UQ unbonded offer and interviews with the other four.

Offer chances JMP 25%, WSU 30% (40% if GWS). With SEAS for Monash will you also get EAS for UNSW? If yes offer chances are around 60-70% at both schools.

Just to clarify, what state are you studying for in year 12?
I’m from New South Wales.

That's true. Also hajskskskdks are you a GWS applicant? Because that will increase the chances for a WSU place offer
Yep, I’m a GWS applicant. By how much would that boost my chances, and how well would I have to do in my interview?

You can be certain of a UQ unbonded offer and interviews with the other four.

Offer chances JMP 25%, WSU 30% (40% if GWS). With SEAS for Monash will you also get EAS for UNSW? If yes offer chances are around 60-70% at both schools.
My EAS doesn’t apply to UNSW Med, only Monash. Also, what is the lowest ATAR I can get with my UCAT to earn an interview at UNSW?

A1

Rookie Doc
My EAS doesn’t apply to UNSW Med, only Monash. Also, what is the lowest ATAR I can get with my UCAT to earn an interview at UNSW?

The lowest ATAR to go with 97%ile is probably 98.5-98.6 to get an interview. With 98.9 I'd say around 30% UNSW offer chance.

Btw LMG! had 98%ile UMAT (=97 UCAT) and 98ish equivalent rank, that apparently just scraped an interview since UNSW advised she had 5% offer chance (aka don't waste your time/money coming unless you are desperate ;) )

The lowest ATAR to go with 97%ile is probably 98.5-98.6 to get an interview. With 98.9 I'd say around 30% UNSW offer chance.

Btw LMG! had 98%ile UMAT (=97 UCAT) and 98ish equivalent rank, that apparently just scraped an interview since UNSW advised she had 5% offer chance (aka don't waste your time/money coming unless you are desperate )
Ah right, thanks for that. How well would I have to do in an interview with 99 ATAR and 97 UCAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.