Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT Results Discussion 2019

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Surprised they give info about interview performance over the phone/ is this still possible for previous year interviews?
I can’t recall the exact information UNSW provided Lyyrre so I’ll get them to clarify - from memory it may have been their position on the waitlist?

I can’t recall the exact information UNSW provided Lyyrre so I’ll get them to clarify - from memory it may have been his position on the waitlist?
Sweet thanks, just curious how this was achieved and whether it is still possible.

It's a hard thing to judge w/o an external POV often

A1

Admissions Speculator
Sweet thanks, just curious how this was achieved and whether it is still possible.

It's a hard thing to judge w/o an external POV often
Mr Boothey of Unsw Med (I don't know if he is still there, he didn't appear in the Info video this year) was highly helpful with info like where you stand on the final ranking list, how your interview was etc. But of course with the latter you'd only get a diplomatic answer how good it was, never how bad despite not getting an offer.

Mr Boothey of Unsw Med (I don't know if he is still there, he didn't appear in the Info video this year) was highly helpful with info like where you stand on the final ranking list, how your interview was etc. But of course with the latter you'd only get a diplomatic answer how good it was, never how bad despite not getting an offer.
Are you saying to directly contact faculty members as this seems wrong to me? Or should I just try through generic contact med applications email they supply on their website?

i guess any answer is better than nothing

A1

Admissions Speculator
Are you saying to directly contact faculty members as this seems wrong to me? Or should I just try through generic contact med applications email they supply on their website?

i guess any answer is better than nothing
Mr Boothey was not a faculty/teaching staff. He was head of the Unsw Med Students/Admissions Office and contactable by phone.

TKAO

ima head to oooo-wahhh for med
Valued Member
The UWA Broadway is for WA schools only, I haven't seen anywhere the Rural pathway is for WA applicants only.
On one of the other threads, I don't remember which, I remember some person talking about how they tried to either apply for EAS or rural status from curtin and got rejected because they were interstate.

EDIT: here is the original quote from the person that contacted curtin regarding rurality, I must have just extrapolated it to UWA in my mind:
Thank you!! Just a heads up on Curtin, I sent in my rural application and they replied stating that the rural application is exclusively for Western Australians so no other rural students can apply from interstate

Last edited:

apk22

On one of the other threads, I don't remember which, I remember some person talking about how they tried to either apply for EAS or rural status from curtin and got rejected because they were interstate.

EDIT: here is the original quote from the person that contacted curtin regarding rurality, I must have just extrapolated it to UWA in my mind:
Yeah just Curtin, I got a confirmation email from UWA so they're okay with me being an interstate applicant (I think).

skoy

Lurker
Applying for: Medicine
Application Type: School leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 98ish (>99.80 according to the Monash SEAS calculator)
UCAT Percentile Rank: 97
VR: 700
DM: 750
QR: 810
AR: 790
Total: 3050
SJ: 627
Current State: VIC
Applying to: Monash, UQ, Adelaide, Flinders, UNSW
Rural Applicant: No
GWS Applicant: No
Indigenous Applicant: No
Other: SEAS and Monash Guarantee
Specific Question: What are my chances at getting a place offer at the above unis? I'm really hoping to get into Monash so I won't have to move interstate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyyrre

Griffith MedSci II
I can’t recall the exact information UNSW provided Lyyrre so I’ll get them to clarify - from memory it may have been their position on the waitlist?
It was indeed. It's been a while now so I can't remember whether it was over phone or the "contact us" on UNSW's page (I think it was via contact us), but I asked about possible top-up offers after not receiving admission and they said that they would likely only offer a few top-up places, and it was highly unlikely for me to get a top-up as I was about 20 places down the list (that's where I got the 20 places down).

Last edited:

johnno123

Mod Note: answered

Application Type: Non-standard
Predicted ATAR/GPA: around 6
UCAT Percentile Rank: 93
VR: 570
DM: 680
QR: 880
AR: 770
Total: 2900
SJ: 678
Current State: NSW
Applying to: WSU, JMP (Newcastle)
Rural Applicant: no
GWS Applicant: yes
Indigenous Applicant: no
Other: no
Specific Question: how much of an impact would my poor VR mark have on my chances of receiving interviews at WSU or JMP?

Hi! How likely are my chances of getting an interview offer at Monash with a 72nd%ile UCAT but 99.9-99.95 ATAR (post-SEAs points)? I go to an underrepresented school (in VIC), so I'm eligible for the Monash Guarantee, but I'm unsure how much that would help me?
Thanks!

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
Application Type: Non-standard
Predicted ATAR/GPA: around 6
UCAT Percentile Rank: 93
VR: 570
DM: 680
QR: 880
AR: 770
Total: 2900
SJ: 678
Applying to: WSU, JMP (Newcastle)
Specific Question: how much of an impact would my poor VR mark have on my chances of receiving interviews at WSU or JMP?
Neither have subscale cut offs so it won’t hurt at all. You’ll get an interview for JMP (with ~25% offer chance), and one for WSU (with higher chance of place offer due to your GWS status).

Applying for: Med
Application Type: (non-standard)
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 98.9/6.9
UCAT Percentile Rank:90
VR: 580
DM:690
QR:860
AR: 710
Total: 2840
SJ:685
Applying to:
unsw, wsu, jmp
Specific Question:
Do you know about the marks required for the UNSW medical science transfer program into medicine ?

abash80

WSU & JMP will give you an interview without caring much about GPA at the invite stage. Afterwards if you qualify for an offer it will be subject to your GPA (at end of year) passing the hurdle, in your GWS case you need either ATAR 93.5+ or GPA 5.5+ for WSU (or 6.0+ if they rule you have done less than 1 FTE year uni) and 4.7+ for JMP.

In case JMP rules you have done less than 1 FTE year they will check that your ATAR was 94.3+.
WSU GPA thresholds have increased to 5.9 for GWS 1 FTE year uni and increased for other completion levels as well. I guess zero chance for WSU then? because max I can get it to is 5.75 :/

ABT123

WSU GPA thresholds have increased to 5.9 for GWS 1 FTE year uni and increased for other completion levels as well. I guess zero chance for WSU then? because max I can get it to is 5.75 :/
If your ATAR was above 93.5, they can still look at that to get you past the hurdle.

Application Type: Gap Year
Predicted ATAR/GPA: min. 99 (after UES)
UCAT Percentile Rank: 92~ (according to sd & mean), 91 (according to official UCAT calculator)
VR:
DM:
QR:
AR:
Total:
SJ:
Current State:
SA
Applying to:
Adelaide/Flinders (no interstate ):)
Rural Applicant: (no)
GWS Applicant: (no)
Indigenous Applicant: (no)
Other: UES
Specific Question:

How do offers work with Adelaide? If I have, say, a reasonable/good interview, and my ATAR & UCAT, can anyone estimate a % chance of an offer at Adelaide? Much appreciated.

Also sidenote to anyone interested, you can apply to UK Unis 2020 with UCAT ANZ 2019 scores: Results | UCAT Consortium

Deadline: 15 Oct

Cal

Will You. Review. Mah Mixtape 😤😤
Valued Member
Anyone willing to bet on chances for an interview at WSU with a 93%ile and a 7.0 GPA @ 0.75FTE, non-GWS?
The simple answer, is no one really knows; it will depend on how they use the ucat scores, because last year is not a good representation as they had an algorithm to calculate section score weightings, and it was around the 94th.

whatup245

do i have a chance at curtin med with a 82nd ucat and a 98.80?

from nsw no rural