Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT Results Discussion 2019

ucatboy

Valued Member
Yeh, I was under this same impression. It also kind of explains why I'd personally seen/heard of a lot more 99s/98s etc. compared to 100s during UMAT, given that UMAT 99 was actually 98.5-99.5, whilst 100 was 99.5+.
This seems to be supported by ACER's designated 0-100 percentile range. The only way this is possible is by rounding:

0 - 0.499th percentile = 0th percentile
99.5-100th percentile = 100th percentile

Also anecdotal evidence: four friends scored 99th percentile last year but no-one I personally know got 100th.

Last edited:

REGULAR JOE

Hey guys, what do you think are my chances for an interview invite at Uni of Adelaide with 99.45/86th%? I know it's impossible to be certain but a guess would be very much appreciated!

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
Hey guys, what do you think are my chances for an interview invite at Uni of Adelaide with 99.45/86th%? I know it's impossible to be certain but a guess would be very much appreciated!

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
UCAT Results Discussion 2019 Here you listed a few universities that you were applying to and A1 answered. Since then you've asked a lot of different questions like this, each time as a separate post, for different universities, in different threads. Is there a reason for this? It would save us a lot of time if you asked all of these in the one go, for future reference.

REGULAR JOE

UCAT Results Discussion 2019 Here you listed a few universities that you were applying to and A1 answered. Since then you've asked a lot of different questions like this, each time as a separate post, for different universities, in different threads. Is there a reason for this? It would save us a lot of time if you asked all of these in the one go, for future reference.
Yep sure, Sorry.

damn

Is it likely that WSU takes abstract reasoning into less consideration in their selection process as it is similar to UMAT section 3?

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Is it likely that WSU takes abstract reasoning into less consideration in their selection process as it is similar to UMAT section 3?
Your guess is as good as any. We don't know how they will choose to weight each section yet (if it's not overall score then we will have good fun figuring it out based on MSO data). Maybe they'll use overall score for a few years and then check if there's a correlation between certain section scores and whatever they are looking for in their students (high interview scores? good exam results?) and then modify their selection criteria from there. I guess the benefit of them keeping their criteria from the public is that they can modify it as they see fit between years (but technically a med school can do that anyway).

samyang ramen

UNSW Med Student
Is scoring a 600 considered ok for my worst section? Assuming that they have cut-offs ... that's ok right? Also, what's my chances for med / hypothetically how high would I need to score in an interview at WSU and JMP with a ucat of 96%ile and a 99.95 atar? I'm rural and non GWS.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Is scoring a 600 considered ok for my worst section? Assuming that they have cut-offs ... that's ok right? Also, what's my chances for med / hypothetically how high would I need to score in an interview at WSU and JMP with a ucat of 96%ile and a 99.95 atar? I'm rural and non GWS.
These questions are impossible to answer. UCAT cutoffs - this is the first year that unis are using UCAT so we can't make any calls on cutoff scores (most, if not all, are only looking at overall score anyway so individual section scores are irrelevant), and we don't know how WSU will be using each individual subset of the test. Interview score - this is entirely dependent on the performance of the rest of the applicants. Theoretically you need to be in the top 25% of interviewees for JMP and top 30% at WSU. The selection criteria used by each medical school is viewable here, which I highly recommend you read: [Undergrad] - (2019 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards The way each medical school is using UCAT score: UCAT Score Use by Med and Dent Schools

A1

Admissions Speculator
Also, what's my chances for med
If you mean med anywhere I'd say 100% chance. 99.95 96%ile rural at least one school will offer you a place.

hypothetically how high would I need to score in an interview at WSU and JMP with a ucat of 96%ile and a 99.95 atar? I'm rural and non GWS.
For a rural 99.95 WSU & JMP are your least optimal options, since you lose your huge advantages from ATAR+UCAT. You have close to 100% chances at the combo schools like UNSW, Monash, Adelaide, UWA, Curtin. Absolute 100% chances at UQ, Griffith, Flinders.

bslater_

Hey guys, do you reckon it's possible to still be offered an interview for any of the uni's if you absolutely bombed the UCAT this year? I have completed a bachelors degree and a masters degree with a GPA of about 6.1 for both.

Sherlock

Staff
Hey guys, do you reckon it's possible to still be offered an interview for any of the uni's if you absolutely bombed the UCAT this year? I have completed a bachelors degree and a masters degree with a GPA of about 6.1 for both.
What do you mean by "bombed"? Do you have breakdown of your scores? Which universities have you applied to?

Also note that this is the first time universities are using UCAT and no one really knows how the scores will be used.

bslater_

Like well and truly bombed haha - I had an issue with the monitor when I sat my exam. Completely messed me around and Pearson did nothing. Scores are as follows: 550/580/680/610 (2420) SJ 654

So REALLY bombed.

Sherlock

Staff
Like well and truly bombed haha - I had an issue with the monitor when I sat my exam. Completely messed me around and Pearson did nothing. Scores are as follows: 550/580/680/610 (2420) SJ 654

So REALLY bombed.
I went to the UCAT website (Test Statistics | UCAT Consortium) and calculated your percentile, which is 43rd and that is lower than half the people who sat the exam so it is unfortunately not very promising. Are you a rural candidate?

VRY1

Lurker
I'm an NZ applicant and did quite poorly in my UCAT (54th percentile). Is it safe to assume I'm not going to get an interview at Monash, even with a high 99 ATAR?

A1

Admissions Speculator
I'm an NZ applicant and did quite poorly in my UCAT (54th percentile). Is it safe to assume I'm not going to get an interview at Monash, even with a high 99 ATAR?
Unfortunately I believe high 99s ATAR still needs close to 90%ile for Monash interstate.

Kezza

So I just had a friend tell me their friend got an interview offer today for JMP.... Gosh i hope it isn't true because my inbox is empty. :(