Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UMelb UMelb Medicine: Provisional Entry Questions and Discussion

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Does anyone know what the success rates are for the Chanchellor's Scholars (99.90)/FFP(99+) interviews are at melbourne.
I don't think this information is really made publicly available. The requirement is to "pass" 5 out of 8 of the MMI stations, so I'd imagine that most applicants make it through (but I also imagine there's a handful every year that do not).

I don't think this information is really made publicly available. The requirement is to "pass" 5 out of 8 of the MMI stations, so I'd imagine that most applicants make it through (but I also imagine there's a handful every year that do not).
What would happen to them? Would they even get another shot? How would it work?

I don't believe you get another chance if you fail the interview. You're left with an undergraduate degree but you cannot progress to the MD (unless you go via the graduate entry GAMSAT pathway).
Ok I think I did make the right choice. The stakes are too high and you wouldn't have another uni to fall back on either.

Term

Lurker
Hey guys hope you all doing well:)

I am currently studying Biomed and really want to get into MD at UniMelb.

I am planning on sitting the GAMSAT next March but as a fallback option if it doesn't go well I was wondering whether there was a possibility that I could get a CSP spot instead of FFP? I really cannot afford to pay full fees:(

I talked to a representative from Step 1 at the start of this yr and he said if you have a 85+ WAM or something similar, there is a possibility that they could give you the CSP spot instead of the FFP? Is this true?

Thanks

A1

Rookie Doc
I talked to a representative from Step 1 at the start of this yr and he said if you have a 85+ WAM or something similar, there is a possibility that they could give you the CSP spot instead of the FFP? Is this true?

I have not seen CSP mentioned anywhere in the 99.0+ pathway. The rep could have meant with 85+ WAM and a decent GAMSAT high chance you can get CSP via Gemsas. If he did mean non-Gemsas CSP I would ask him to give that in writing.

Term

Lurker
Hi thanks for the reply. I will definitely confirm this with another Stop 1 representative.

I also found something similar on the UniMelb website (see below). Does this mean you can apply to CSP without GAMSAT?

When you apply for a graduate professional entry course, you will be able to indicate on the application form that you are eligible for guaranteed entry.
Please note that if you are eligible for guaranteed entry to an Australian fee place in the graduate course, you can still request to be considered with the rest of the applicant pool for a Commonwealth supported place. For some courses this will mean that you must complete the standard entry requirements of the course (e.g. admission tests, personal statements etc.) to be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place, even though the entry requirements may not be necessary for guaranteed entry into an Australian fee place. For more details about how and when to apply for individual courses please visit Course Search.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi thanks for the reply. I will definitely confirm this with another Stop 1 representative.

I also found something similar on the UniMelb website (see below). Does this mean you can apply to CSP without GAMSAT?

When you apply for a graduate professional entry course, you will be able to indicate on the application form that you are eligible for guaranteed entry.
Please note that if you are eligible for guaranteed entry to an Australian fee place in the graduate course, you can still request to be considered with the rest of the applicant pool for a Commonwealth supported place. For some courses this will mean that you must complete the standard entry requirements of the course (e.g. admission tests, personal statements etc.) to be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place, even though the entry requirements may not be necessary for guaranteed entry into an Australian fee place. For more details about how and when to apply for individual courses please visit Course Search.

I would interpret the "For some courses this will mean that you must complete the standard entry requirements of the course (e.g. admission tests" as you do need GAMSAT.

I guess the difference here is you don't actually apply through Gemsas like other applicants, but if you indicate you want to be considered for CSP they will take your GPA + GAMSAT + Interview scores and pit you against Gemsas applicants, thus GAMSAT is needed.

EtA: However I can see a disadvatage in this process is, if you just miss out a UoM CSP spot you wouldn't be considered for another Gemsas school. It may well be better to apply through Gemsas separately to the guaranteed FFP spot.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I would interpret the "For some courses this will mean that you must complete the standard entry requirements of the course (e.g. admission tests" as you do need GAMSAT.

I guess the difference here is you don't actually apply through Gemsas like other applicants, but if you indicate you want to be considered for CSP they will take your GPA + GAMSAT + Interview scores and pit you against Gemsas applicants, thus GAMSAT is needed.

EtA: However I can see a disadvatage in this process is, if you just miss out a UoM CSP spot you wouldn't be considered for another Gemsas school. It may well be better to apply through Gemsas separately to the guaranteed FFP spot.

Yeah, I agree completely with your ETA, A1. If the OP is going to do GAMSAT anyway in the hope of getting a CSP out of UMelb, then using that GAMSAT to do a regular GEMSAS application and possibly open up CSPs at 6 other graduate entry unis would seem the way to go for sure.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Hey people, I just got my ATAR back (99.00) and am considering the Melbourne FFP guarenteed pathway as an alternative if i dont get in anywhere else. This is my current plan, this may sound like a big request but anyone fool proof my plan.
  1. Apply for B Science at Melbourne and Major in Mechatronic Systems
  2. Apply for Melbourne MD and run through my chances with that, hopefully landing a place
  3. Using my B Science Results (and sitting the GAMSAT) apply for other PG Med Schools
  4. If nothing else then use my B Science to do a Masters in Engineering (Mechatronic) (which is my current alternative degree)
Given that Melbourne has removed prerequisites from its MD this makes this plan possible. Does this sound right? or am i missing something big and looking like an idiot.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey people, I just got my ATAR back (99.00) and am considering the Melbourne FFP guarenteed pathway as an alternative if i dont get in anywhere else. This is my current plan, this may sound like a big request but anyone fool proof my plan.
  1. Apply for B Science at Melbourne and Major in Mechatronic Systems
  2. Apply for Melbourne MD and run through my chances with that, hopefully landing a place
  3. Using my B Science Results (and sitting the GAMSAT) apply for other PG Med Schools
  4. If nothing else then use my B Science to do a Masters in Engineering (Mechatronic) (which is my current alternative degree)
Given that Melbourne has removed prerequisites from its MD this makes this plan possible. Does this sound right? or am i missing something big and looking like an idiot.
The plan is all good provided you have the 300k (will cost more than this by the time you enrol in the MD) to pay up front and are aware of the risks involved with accepting a full fee paying position. You should also sit UCAT through each year of your undergrad and try and gain a place via non-standard entry. Also be aware that it isn’t “guaranteed”; you need to maintain a 75 WAM and pass the interview - these barriers catch people out each year.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
The plan is all good provided you have the 300k (will cost more than this by the time you enrol in the MD) to pay up front and are aware of the risks involved with accepting a full fee paying position. You should also sit UCAT through each year of your undergrad and try and gain a place via non-standard entry. Also be aware that it isn’t “guaranteed”; you need to maintain a 75 WAM and pass the interview - these barriers catch people out each year.

I can afford the degree. Apart from lower internship priorities (technically not guaranteed), are there any other associated risks with a FFP over a CSP?

Good idea to apply as a non-standard, dont know why i didnt think of that. Thank you very much

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
I can afford the degree. Apart from lower internship priorities (technically not guaranteed), are there any other associated risks with a FFP over a CSP?

Realistically, you'll get an internship. There are no other disadvantages.

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to find out a little more information as to how the guaranteed entry placement into the MD program works at unimelb. Lets that that you receive an atar above 99 and maintain a wam of 75+, does that mean the interview is just a hurdle to pass or your now competing with all the other candidates who have an interview. Also, does anyone have any experience taking this pathway or friends who have been successful. I dont want to place my bets on guaranteed but then go bomb the interview;(

Thanks a lot

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
If you maintain the WAM and pass the interview, you are given a FFP place with a 99.00+ (about 60k a year for 4 years) or a CSP place with a 99.90+
Have a squizz through this thread. If i remember correctly only 1 person out of the 30 that interviewed didn't get a place. However, Im not sure of the source of that

However, you are absolutely correct in being concerned about bombing the interview and losing your place. I would suggest if you take this, apply elsewhere whilst completing the first few years (such was my plan :p)

A1

Rookie Doc
does that mean the interview is just a hurdle to pass or your now competing with all the other candidates who have an interview.

For UMelb's MD the GEMSAS interview is competitive. The 99.9/99.0+ one is hurdle, you need to score better than the pass marks in 5 or more of the 8 stations, plus better than the Overall pass mark.

If you are in the 99.0+ program you can also apply through GEMSAS. If your GPA+GAMSAT+interview scores qualify for a place it's CSP instead of full fee.

For UMelb's MD the GEMSAS interview is competitive. The 99.9/99.0+ one is hurdle, you need to score better than the pass marks in 5 or more of the 8 stations, plus better than the Overall pass mark.

If you are in the 99.0+ program you can also apply through GEMSAS. If your GPA+GAMSAT+interview scores qualify for a place it's CSP instead of full fee.
yep thanks :) Do u have any info about how applicants through the guaranteed pathway usually fair fare?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
yep thanks :) Do u have any info about how applicants through the guaranteed pathway usually fair fare?
Back when I was in your position I heard rumours that virtually most candidates 'pass' the interviews overall quite easily. Obviously there is no guarantee but I personally did not think of it as a big deal when decision making a few years ago.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Ahh ok that makes me feel a little more secure. R u currently in melb Med?
Honestly, in my opinion if you get into any other university that offers you a CSP, it would be smart to take it over UniMelb - the risk may be small but it’s not one worth taking if you have other options.