Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

[Undergrad] UNI's that don't do GAMSAT

HI,

If you were graduate, lets say, pharmacy in the university of auckland which is 4 years + 1 year internship,

are there any universities in Australia that take graduate entries but don't take consideration of GAMSAT for entry into medicine?

I heard that UADEL and JMP don't look at GAMSAT, only the GPA and interview?
Are there any more uni's ?

Also, as for GPA calcuation for completed degrees, do they take consideration of the best 3 years or the most recent 3 years of the degree?

And just a final clarification, GPA 7,8,9 in NZ convert to AUSSIE GPA of 7 correct? and nz gpa 6 = aus gpa 6.5 and so on?

thanks

UADEL do not do post graduate at all. Flinders does, but they require GAMSAT.

I think you are confused with non standard entry, which is still undergraduate. But you must be a student of the university of adelaide to be eligible for non standard entry.

Oh maybe i am xp, so lets say i graduated pharmacy and got GPA of about B ish, which is 5 in NZ, I heard some Australian UNIs accept students like us who have completed a degree AND dont look at GAMSAT??

Hi [MENTION=9709]Worshipppp[/MENTION] can we use full sentences and correct spelling/grammer/punctuation on MSO? Thanks!

Some of the graduate australian schools may accept you with a NZ GPA of 5 but they all require GAMSAT.

If you don't want to sit GAMSAT you'd have to apply to Bond (but that's hideously expensive) or as a non-standard student to one of the undergraduate Australian unis (in which case you'd really have to resit UMAT closer to the time of application).

Thanks for that, then wouldn't students have a better chance applying through to undergraduate universities as non-standard applicants and doing UMAT, rather than sitting GAMSAT? Which I believe is alot harder.

Yes, non standard is a good pathway to take, but not all unis accept non standards, so you will need to do some research into which do accept them.
Basically, if you try and try and do not get into med as an undergraduate, you are left with post graduate.

Thanks for that, then wouldn't students have a better chance applying through to undergraduate universities as non-standard applicants and doing UMAT, rather than sitting GAMSAT? Which I believe is alot harder.
It doesn't matter how hard GAMSAT is - you're aiming to do better than everyone else sitting it, not reach some absolute standard. If GAMSAT really is harder then everyone sitting it will just do worse - that doesn't affect your chances of admission.

If you have a degree I'd strongly advise the grad route - the degree is shorter (4 years compared to 5 or 6 if you enter an undergrad school), your class would be entirely grad students, and there are far more places available in total. In reality your chances are probably BETTER under graduate entry (unless you get a really good UMAT score).

I would agree with greenglacier. If you have a degree, try everywhere but really, post grad is your best option.

Thanks greenglaicer and miss_universe. Just a final question, do you know which non-standard uni out of JCU, JMP, UTAS, UWS, UNSW completes their MBBS degree in 5 years? Instead of 6? Can't seem to find all of them... Many thanks.

You can find the degree duration on their websites. I'm procrastinating study so I'll answer your question anyway. :p

5 year degrees: JMP, UTAS, UWS. The rest are 6 years.

You can find the degree duration on their websites. I'm procrastinating study so I'll answer your question anyway. :p

Bond is 5 too, right? (Not that I'd necessarily advise going to Bond, given the internship situation, fees, etc).

[offtopic]
It's 4 and 3/4... but yeah, essentially 5. :p
Never, ever underestimate the importance of that quarter year. Especially not when it's at the start of the degree, so you graduate at the same time as someone from a 5-year course. It'll be such, such an advantage :p [/offtopic]

[offtopic]
Never, ever underestimate the importance of that quarter year. Especially not when it's at the start of the degree, so you graduate at the same time as someone from a 5-year course. It'll be such, such an advantage :p
Oh fo' sure.[/offtopic]
Still, the OP only asked about the non-private unis so that's why I excluded Bond.

Bond is 5 too, right? (Not that I'd necessarily advise going to Bond, given the internship situation, fees, etc).

Fees; yes. However I'd be very surprised if Bond graduates find it difficult to gain an internship in Australia.

In terms of OP, looking at your previous posts, I was under the impression you started Biomed this year.

As miss_universe suggested, if you do not wish to undertake GAMSAT, you can always apply as a non-standard, a perfectly fine pathway.
However, if I were in your shoes and held a degree in Pharmacy from UoA, I'd tackle GAMSAT and apply to Melbourne, UQ, Sydney. It will be a 4 year degree and the teaching hospitals that are affiliated with these universities are unrivaled. I know RPA is one of the teaching hospitals for USyd. Amazing.

Also, yes, you're correct about the GPA 7/8/9=7. Keep in mind, some universities convert the GPA into a percentage to rank you.

Last edited:
However, if I were in your shoes and held a degree in Pharmacy from UoA, I'd tackle GAMSAT and apply to Melbourne, UQ, Sydney. It will be a 4 year degree and the teaching hospitals that are affiliated with these universities are unrivaled.
A slightly bold claim. Just slightly.

Monash is also 5 years.

Yeah I guess this could be true to an extent but if you're a FFP or an INTL that could potentially make getting an internship harder for the years to come... wouldn't it?

Yes, it was a highly opinionated comment.

However, let's look it through, let's see if the claim holds some merit:

For the purpose of simplicity, we are going to rank the hospitals by number of admissions per annum. Yes, there are limitations to this ranking system, metropolitan areas serve a greater population hence their hospitals will naturally have higher admissions and doesn't necessarily indicate the hospital is better. But this crude method will do.

1. We will look at the top 5 hospitals in Aus by admissions and see which schools they are affiliated with. However, this is not enough on it's own.
2. We will then look at USyd, UQ* and Melbourne (what my claim was based upon) and compare their teaching hospitals with the teaching hospitals of competing undergraduate universities, let's say UNSW, UWS, Monash. *We'll actually disregard UQ, no competing Universities that offer medicine in Brisbane.

1.-----

1. Royal Melbourne - Melbourne, Victoria - 85,400 ----- University of Melbourne School of Medicine
2. Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital - Brisbane, Queensland - 74,900 ------ University of Queensland
3. Westmead Hospital - Sydney, New South Wales - 69,600 ------ University of Sydney
4. Royal Adelaide Hospital - Adelaide, South Australia - 67,800 ------- University of Adelaide
5. Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital - Perth, Western Australia - 64,800 ------ University of Western Australia, Curtin University, Notre Dame University and Edith Cowan University.
6. Monash Medical Centre - Melbourne, Victoria - 63,900 ------Monash University
7. Princess Alexandra Hospital- Brisbane, Queensland - 63,600 ------ University of Queensland
8. Geelong Hospital - Geelong, Victoria - 58,200 ------- University of Melbourne.
9. Gold Coast Hospital - Southport, Queensland - 57,800 ------ Griffith University, Bond University
10. Liverpool Hospital - Sydney, New South Wales - 56,900 ------- University of New South Wales

What does this data mean? Well, nothing much tbh.

2.------

Too lazy to compile data.

However, conclusion: If you are enroled into a medical program at USyd, UMelb, UQ; you are more likely to placed at a teaching hospital ,which ranks in the top 10 by admission per annum, as opposed to an undergraduate or other postgraduate medical school. Does that mean, the affiliated hospital of those 3 unis is unrivaled? Not necessarily.

Does this crude post prove my claim? No.
Does this crude post disprove my claim? No.
Is this crude post pretty useless? Maybe.

Back