Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

WSU Roll Call 2019-2023

keogh13

WSU MBBS II
Thanks so much for the info!! And about staying on campus to study... all i meant is that is there a time when the clinical school and the campbelltown campus fully closes? Or are we able to access all the facilities as long as we have our student ID card?? I'm sorry if my question does not make sense its just that I know some universities where for example their library and student hubs are accessible 24/7.

Not too sure about the clinical school but on campus you can have access to the med building to study 24 hrs/day with swipe access from your student ID card and the library I believe is also available to study 24 hrs Monday -Friday

Hi, I am applying for a scholarship and I have an interview this Tuesday but I need to better understand how I will be using the scholarship money. Just for some background info I am a rural student and will be relocating into sydney from Victoria and both my parents are on centrelink.
I would really appreciate any help and also just clarification on costs of things like medicine textbooks (hardcopy) , lab coats, stethoscopes etc.

Not too sure about the clinical school but on campus you can have access to the med building to study 24 hrs/day with swipe access from your student ID card and the library I believe is also available to study 24 hrs Monday -Friday
okay! Thanks for the help.

BethMark25

WSU MBBS II
Hi, I am applying for a scholarship and I have an interview this Tuesday but I need to better understand how I will be using the scholarship money. Just for some background info I am a rural student and will be relocating into sydney from Victoria and both my parents are on centrelink.
I would really appreciate any help and also just clarification on costs of things like medicine textbooks (hardcopy) , lab coats, stethoscopes etc.

You really don't need to buy any textbooks. You can access them through the library and also online (for free), if you prefer hard copies you could absolutely buy those but it's a matter of convenience rather than necessity.

I have two lab coats, I think they were approximately $27 each.

As for stethoscopes - most people tend to buy Littman, which are probably about $130-150 - but apparently the $20 ones from the co-op bookshop work just fine :)

Apart from that you need business/smart casual attire for attendance at the hospital, closed in shoes, a watch. There may also be some printing costs if you like to print notes to work from - a lot of people print notes for anatomy lab.

I think that's about it, then just general living costs. Good luck with the scholarship interview x

Jeff Wong

WSU MD I
You really don't need to buy any textbooks. You can access them through the library and also online (for free), if you prefer hard copies you could absolutely buy those but it's a matter of convenience rather than necessity.

As for stethoscopes - most people tend to buy Littman, which are probably about $130-150 - but apparently the $20 ones from the co-op bookshop work just fine :)

Apart from that you need business/smart casual attire for attendance at the hospital, closed in shoes, a watch. There may also be some printing costs if you like to print notes to work from - a lot of people print notes for anatomy lab.

I think that's about it, then just general living costs. Good luck with the scholarship interview x

What type of shoes do people usually wear for attendance at hospital? Also, are there any occasions where we might need to wear black leather shoes and suits please? Thanks!

BethMark25

WSU MBBS II
What type of shoes do people usually wear for attendance at hospital? Also, are there any occasions where we might need to wear black leather shoes and suits please? Thanks!

Closed in black "work" shoes, nothing open and not sneakers/joggers. Something professional looking.

You don't need to wear full suits; Generally for hospital black trousers/slacks and a button up shirt. No ties or suit jackets necessary, in fact ties are generally considered a bad idea.

The only time you'll need a suit is if you want to go to medball and get all dressed up.

Thanks for the clarification xx :)

Jeff Wong

WSU MD I
Does anyone know if there are any training institutions who would provide first aid courses to international students? I've tried applying for one through WSU The College but turns out their courses aren't open to international students at all. Please help (since it's part of the special requirements)!

BethMark25

WSU MBBS II
Does anyone know if there are any training institutions who would provide first aid courses to international students? I've tried applying for one through WSU The College but turns out their courses aren't open to international students at all. Please help (since it's part of the special requirements)!
What about external training organisations like St John’s ambulance or ATI: First Aid Training Campbeltown | Australian Training Institute

they’re not affiliated with the university so I don’t imagine being an international student would be a problem

BethMark25

WSU MBBS II
Just wanted to share that your facebook group has been created by the wonderful WSMS now, it can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/426765181194619/

We had a bit of an issue last year where no one was getting added because you could only be added by a friend already in the group, so if your member request isn't accepted straight away that might be why. This group is where a LOT of info will be posted throughout the year, and it's often more up to date and more helpful than vuws itself, so I highly recommend joining.

Samuri

WSU MD I
Hey guys, i’ll also be joining the WSU med cohort this year, looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks!

Just wanted to ask if there were any other emails/information packs sent out besides from the initial offer email? I haven’t received anything else and wondering whether I should worry or not lol.

Also, when I sign into allocate+ there isn’t any allocations or options for me to make a timetable, is this for everyone or just me?

Thanks for any help!

Quiche

Hey guys, i’ll also be joining the WSU med cohort this year, looking forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks!

Just wanted to ask if there were any other emails/information packs sent out besides from the initial offer email? I haven’t received anything else and wondering whether I should worry or not lol.

Also, when I sign into allocate+ there isn’t any allocations or options for me to make a timetable, is this for everyone or just me?

Thanks for any help!

If you login into your wsu student email they sent some more info about orientation week and some general information :)

Lottie319

Thanks for any help!

Don’t worry about allocate+ at all- we only use it for our exam timetables. The School of Medicine will provide you with a PDF timetable for the semester closer to when you start, which will change a bit each week. Unless they change it for the new MD program, you’ll likely be at uni on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (generally full days if you go to lectures, half days if you don’t), and at hospital on a Tuesday or Thursday for a few hours.