• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20).
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions

kamyab22

In Aus no-one other than Mum&Dad bank will give you 400k loan to study.

Some PRs do not qualify for HECS-HELP (a form of gov loan to be paid back with income tax in future) so you need to prepare for :

- if you get a full-CSP 5year Dent : it's 11k upfront fee + 20k living costs per year. This may be offset by ~12k Youth Allowance so you need to find 20k/year from mum&dad.

- if you get Griffth 3year CSP + 2year full fee Master : it's as above for first 3 years, then add 50k/year for the last 2 years.
Thanks a lot...how much can a citizen get loan if he get a full fee places?.. for example 4 year dentistry in melbourn is around 320k tuition +80k living costs=400k..how australian citizens can afford that?I mean how much is the maximum Hesc?
Or is there other provincial loans for example?..

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

A1

Admissions Speculator
Thanks a lot...how much can a citizen get loan if he get a full fee places?.. for example 4 year dentistry in melbourn is around 320k tuition +80k living costs=400k..how australian citizens can afford that?I mean how much is the maximum Hesc?
Or is there other provincial loans for example?..
I see you're talking about graduate-entry 4year Dent at UoM, and full fee.

I don't know whether UoM offer any CSP dent places, assuming they do then for an Aus citizen student :

- CSP is 11k/year fee which is deferred to HECS-HELP, 20k/year living costs have to be mum/dad funded (possibly offset by 12k Youth Allowance).
- Full fee is 70-80k/year fee, only ~150k *in total* (including what they already clocked up for their undergrad degree) can be deferred to FEE-HELP, the rest + living costs have to be mum/dad funded.

And no, I don't know of any commercial loans available. Some parents have re-mortgaged their house for this.

kamyab22

I see you're talking about graduate-entry 4year Dent at UoM, and full fee.

I don't know whether UoM offer any CSP dent places, assuming they do then for an Aus citizen student :

- CSP is 11k/year fee which is deferred to HECS-HELP, 20k/year living costs have to be mum/dad funded.
- Full fee is 70-80k/year fee, only ~150k *in total* (including what they already clocked up for their undergrad degree) can be deferred to FEE-HELP, the rest + living costs have to be mum/dad funded.

And no, I don't know of any commercial loans available. Some parents have re-mortgaged their house for this.
Thanks a lot..This is so unfair☹..I think US or Canadian banks give full amount of tuition for their citizens...

dotwingz

Irregular Member
Valued Member
Oh there are the exact same predatory private loans in Australia that you can get for the purpose of tuition just like in the US. Its just that the government has a cap of 150k on the amount they will let you borrow from them at a real-interest free rate.

A1

Admissions Speculator
Thanks a lot..This is so unfair☹..I think US or Canadian banks give full amount of tuition for their citizens...
It's not unfair, it's actually better than the US/Canada system. Aus uni education is built on the CSP concept, even when you do 7 years of CSP the fees amount to $77k which fits well within the $150k cap.

Only students opting to do full-fee courses, particularly medicine/dentistry, exceed this cap. These courses here are considered discretionary for those who can afford, not a necessity like in US/Canada.

kamyab22

Oh there are the exact same predatory private loans in Australia that you can get for the purpose of tuition just like in the US. Its just that the government has a cap of 150k on the amount they will let you borrow from them at a real-interest free rate.
Thanks🙏..Do you know these tye of loans need a cosigner?One of my friends in Canada could get all the tuition from CIBC bank without any cosigner.is this same here?🧐

Crow

Staff
They offer a small amount (20 from memory) CSPs with the remainder FFPs - the CSPs require exceptional combo scores and each year the average combo required is higher than the combo required to get a medicine spot.

Unluckydude

They offer a small amount (20 from memory) CSPs with the remainder FFPs - the CSPs require exceptional combo scores and each year the average combo required is higher than the combo required to get a medicine spot.
I thought it's around 35 CSPs, 35 FFPs and 35 international places each year? Another reason that the combo is higher then the cut-off for medicine is that there is no interview for dent entrance.

Crow

Staff
I thought it's around 35 CSPs, 35 FFPs and 35 international places each year? Another reason that the combo is higher then the cut-off for medicine is that there is no interview for dent entrance.
You could be right, I don't follow dentistry admissions particularly closely. The information isn't provided on the UniMelb site and the GEMSAS guide only specifies 98 domestic places in total without providing the breakdown - obviously this number includes the provisional entry pathway too, which would change the number of CSPs on offer each year.

Unluckydude

You could be right, I don't follow dentistry admissions particularly closely. The information isn't provided on the UniMelb site and the GEMSAS guide only specifies 98 domestic places in total without providing the breakdown - obviously this number includes the provisional entry pathway too, which would change the number of CSPs on offer each year.
I saw 35/35/35 on PagingDR, not really sure if it is true or not. GEMAS guide says "Approximately 98 of Commonwealth Supported Places, Full Fee Places and International full fee places". UniMelb's website states that "The Doctor of Dental Surgery has a quota of 96 places available per year based on the availability of dental chairs at the Royal Dental Hospital Melbourne and the Melbourne Dental Clinic." I suspect what happens is that a few students may drop out of the course before they reach their clinical years so UniMelb tends to offer a few excess places every year.

QTAC just passes your rank onto Griffith so its a safe bet that Griffith will see your rank as 99.5 aswell so I wouldn't be worried, although it probably wont hurt to check.

EDIT: It might be possible that they are combining the results of multiple degrees?? If this is the case, then im not sure if griffith would consider both degree or just take the selection rank from the associates

They do adjust the rank lower for associate degrees! currently in the process of swapping it over or i might not get in. Lucky i picked up on that thank you for the advice!

Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian student that applied to 4 undergrad dental school in AUS! I have just started my third year doing a biosci undergrad and have a cGPA of 3.7/4.0 (I have 1 B-, and 2 B's but the rest are A, A+ and A-) (includes fall, winter and spring terms). So far I have been rejected from CSU and did not hear anything back from JCU (they have sent international offers already). I am also waiting for UQs and Griffith's deadlines to pass which will be at the end of September. I'm not sure if that would make a difference but I applied to CSU back in May, to JCU in July and to UQ and Griffith in June. In terms of Highschool marks in gr12, I finished with around an 86%.

What are my chances? I have been very anxious about the results and would appreciate any input

Thank you :)

Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian student that applied to 4 undergrad dental school in AUS! I have just started my third year doing a biosci undergrad and have a cGPA of 3.7/4.0 (I have 1 B-, and 2 B's but the rest are A, A+ and A-) (includes fall, winter and spring terms). So far I have been rejected from CSU and did not hear anything back from JCU (they have sent international offers already). I am also waiting for UQs and Griffith's deadlines to pass which will be at the end of September. I'm not sure if that would make a difference but I applied to CSU back in May, to JCU in July and to UQ and Griffith in June. In terms of Highschool marks in gr12, I finished with around an 86%.

What are my chances? I have been very anxious about the results and would appreciate any input

Thank you :)
Hey! I have also applied to Griffiths University, and might be able to help out. You mentioned that you were rejected from CSU, did they send out a rejection email, or have you just not heard back. Having talked to students studying there, it is quite unusual for rejections to be sent out this early. Quite a lot of students were placed on a waiting list, last year but things could have changed, for this admission cycle. You have an excellent GPA, so the only reason you have not heard back is because of when you applied. If I am not mistaken, UQ has offers in rounds, with the first round for internationals closing in March. Usually the program, is full by then. JCU, similarly, sends out about 60-70% of their offers by mid-June, so it is likely the program is full and you have been placed on a waiting list. The only other thing I would like to add, is that JCU, does send out offers, for International students, until classes start, so you might still have a chance. Your best bet, is Griffiths, because they will be evaluating everyone's application together and a competitive GPA, is 3.5, so you will most likely get in there. If you have any other questions let me know!

Hey! I have also applied to Griffiths University, and might be able to help out. You mentioned that you were rejected from CSU, did they send out a rejection email, or have you just not heard back. Having talked to students studying there, it is quite unusual for rejections to be sent out this early. Quite a lot of students were placed on a waiting list, last year but things could have changed, for this admission cycle. You have an excellent GPA, so the only reason you have not heard back is because of when you applied. If I am not mistaken, UQ has offers in rounds, with the first round for internationals closing in March. Usually the program, is full by then. JCU, similarly, sends out about 60-70% of their offers by mid-June, so it is likely the program is full and you have been placed on a waiting list. The only other thing I would like to add, is that JCU, does send out offers, for International students, until classes start, so you might still have a chance. Your best bet, is Griffiths, because they will be evaluating everyone's application together and a competitive GPA, is 3.5, so you will most likely get in there. If you have any other questions let me know!
Hi Jim,

Thank you soooo much for your reply!!! I really appreciated it! Interms of CSU, I actually received a rejection email :( the email stated that I have a great application but due to the "competitive nature of the program" I was not accepted. For JCU however, I really think the program is full by now as this year they're doing rolling admissions meaning that the earlier you apply, the higher your chances are. For UQ, I know they have multiple offer rounds (around 3 rounds) but so far, I did not receive any email about them being full so I have some hope. My ultimate goal is actually Griffith so if I have the highest chance to get accepted there then I have nothing to complain about!!!

Did apply for the 2021 intake or have you already started dental school? and if you don't mind me asking, are you a Canadian student as well?