• Happy holidays to all on MSO! Recently the staff team have noticed a lot of requests for users to PM them with advice and answers to questions. We kindly ask that these requests and answers are posted publicly on the forum wherever possible, unless it is a personal matter that you aren't comfortable discussing publicly. This allows all users to benefit from the advice as opposed to select individuals, and it also saves the repetition of the same advice multiple times. Cheers!
  • UAC releases their offers at 7am on the 8th of January 2021! For those fortunate enough to receive an offer, congratulations! Please post your details here in the 2021 Entry Collated Data thread.

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Medicine Entry Discussion and Advice Requests

saba5678

Have I done something wrong here? I didn't get an offer for Monash Biomed. I got UMelb Biomed about a month ago and accepted the offer. Does that mean accepting an offer makes you ineligible for other offers? Thanks guys

1610579242249.png

amberr

Lurker
Hi everyone!!

I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm looking for some advice as to what I should do this year. For background information, I am a GWS applicant and I received a 99.60 NSW ATAR (2020). I received an offer for Provisional Medicine at USC today and I've already accepted USYD Dentistry (and I'm really excited about both those offers!!!).

However, I really want to try again for Medicine in NSW. I did UCAT this year with little prep and got 2850 (85%ile) and I feel like with a bit more prep I could do better.

Right now, I'm considering two options:
1) Start USYD Dentistry and apply as a non-standard applicant for WSU, UNSW and JMP. (Also just to confirm, all these unis use the "best of" your ATAR and GPA/WAM, right?)
2) Accept and defer USC (if possible) and take a gap year to resit UCAT and apply again for NSW and Monash.

I don't know if it is worth taking the risk and declining USC because I may never get an offer into med again.
I'd really like to get a second opinion on this. Thank you so much for the help!!

h26

Lurker
Hi! Can I please have some advice, I am very very stressed and confused on what to do.
My ATAR was not high enough to gain entry into undergraduate medicine, so I applied for pathway courses and the offers I received are Bond Biomed, UOW Pre-Med and ANU Biotech.

Bond Uni: This degree allows me to apply for lateral entry into 2nd year of Bond MD program, however classes have already started so I'm worried I'll be behind. Also, does anyone know if this degree can be used to apply to all postgrad MD programs (it is a 2 year accelerated course)?.
UOW: This degree is highly competitive and med-focused (top 12 students guaranteed interview place in UOW MD), but requires GAMSAT, so I don't see a real advantage in choosing this.
ANU: This degree would allow me to transfer to ANU Health Science which allows you to apply for their MD without gamsat, but if unsuccessful in transfer I'd have to do the gamsat process.

Can someone please share their experience w these courses or any similar ones? I really don't know what is the best choice here.

Crow

Staff
Hi! Can I please have some advice, I am very very stressed and confused on what to do.
My ATAR was not high enough to gain entry into undergraduate medicine, so I applied for pathway courses and the offers I received are Bond Biomed, UOW Pre-Med and ANU Biotech.

Bond Uni: This degree allows me to apply for lateral entry into 2nd year of Bond MD program, however classes have already started so I'm worried I'll be behind. Also, does anyone know if this degree can be used to apply to all postgrad MD programs (it is a 2 year accelerated course)?.
UOW: This degree is highly competitive and med-focused (top 12 students guaranteed interview place in UOW MD), but requires GAMSAT, so I don't see a real advantage in choosing this.
ANU: This degree would allow me to transfer to ANU Health Science which allows you to apply for their MD without gamsat, but if unsuccessful in transfer I'd have to do the gamsat process.

Can someone please share their experience w these courses or any similar ones? I really don't know what is the best choice here.
The short answer here is that none of these are good options. Please read this thread: Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

You should select your undergrad degree on the basis of what career path you'd like to follow if you never made it into medicine, not on the basis of what you think will give you the highest likelihood of getting in.

I am also of the opinion that lateral entry programs are usually so competitive that you'd probably have an equal if not better chance of making it in via regular non-standard / graduate entry pathways.