Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

General Medicine Entry Discussion and Advice Requests

Can someone plz guide how is the uni of woolongong pre medicine degree to get into med? I have got email saying im eligible and they say to put it into highest priority in UAC. I had put UNSW as first (ucat 93% and atar 99.10)….Kindly guide at earliest as i have till tomorrow midnight to move up the priority in UAC. Thanks

A1

Rookie Doc
Can someone plz guide how is the uni of woolongong pre medicine degree to get into med? I have got email saying im eligible and they say to put it into highest priority in UAC. I had put UNSW as first (ucat 93% and atar 99.10)….Kindly guide at earliest as i have till tomorrow midnight to move up the priority in UAC. Thanks
The unis like to encourage you to put them highest pref but it's not necessary. Still keep all the med options higher (regardless how good/poor the chances). If you don't get any med offer it automatically promotes the UoW pre-med to highest.

The unis like to encourage you to put them highest pref but it's not necessary. Still keep all the med options (regardless how good/poor the chances) higher. If you don't get any med offer it automatically promotes the UoW pre-med to highest.
Thanks alot for this. Provided i get an offer from UoW, is it an easy/ recommended pathway to enter into medicine? I mean university wise? shall i wait and give ucat again next year while doing a double degree in commerce/comp science...sorry o be a pain i have no one in the field to guide me on these alternative pathways....Will GPA of 6.5 acheivable to get into the medicine prog in UoW?

A1

Rookie Doc
Thanks alot for this. Provided i get an offer from UoW, is it an easy/ recommended pathway to enter into medicine? I mean university wise? shall i wait and give ucat again next year while doing a double degree in commerce/comp science...sorry o be a pain i have no one in the field to guide me on these alternative pathways....Will GPA of 6.5 acheivable to get into the medicine prog in UoW?
Where a "pre-med" course helps is *after* you get into graduate-entry med studying the first MD year is kinda easier, since you're already familiar with some/most of the contents.

Pre-med makes NO difference to your chances of getting non-standard med or into grad entry med. Do Commerce/CompSc and get higher GPA (than would with pre-med) gives better med chances.

Where a "pre-med" course helps is *after* you get into graduate-entry med studying the first MD year is kinda easier, since you're already familiar with some/most of the contents.

Pre-med makes NO difference to your chances of getting non-standard med or into grad entry med. Do Commerce/CompSc and get higher GPA (than would with pre-med) gives better med chances.
Thanks for the input.I had gotten into UNSW actuarial/computer science. After the email from UoW i was just tossing will it be easier to maintain good ranks in actuarial, sit UCAT again and get entry to medicine or just enter the pre med stream and focus on GPA??

A1

Rookie Doc
Thanks for the input.I had gotten into UNSW actuarial/computer science. After the email from UoW i was just tossing will it be easier to maintain good ranks in actuarial, sit UCAT again and get entry to medicine or just enter the pre med stream and focus on GPA??
Have a read in this GEMSAS Guide > https://gemsas.edu.au/images/pdf/2024-medicine-gemsas-admissions-guide.pdf
see whether UoW gives any special consideration/bonus to applicants with UoW pre-med studies.

From my memory they don't which means doing its pre-med doesn't give any MD admission advantage.

As for "tossing will it be easier to maintain good ranks in actuarial, sit UCAT again and get entry to medicine" or "just enter the pre med stream and focus on GPA" - both pathways are available whether you do the former or the latter. It comes down to which one do you think you'll achieve higher GPA, and job prospects should you not get into graduate med.

quiqui

With CQ uni and bond, does CQ add the Assistance schemes points to the ATAR? I am an IB student. I am trying to figure out how that would apply to me

CQ Assistance schemes​

When applying for CM17 Bachelor of Medical Science (Pathway to Medicine), you may be eligible to receive up to 5 ATAR/rank adjustments across CQUniversity's Subject Incentive Scheme and Rural Access Scheme. View CQUni's Admission Consideration page to find out more detail on each scheme, check your eligibility and how to apply for adjustment factors. These assistance schemes are exclusively available for students applying to study in the Bachelor of Medical Science (Pathway to Medicine).

Bond Adjustment factors for undergraduate admission

glitter

Hey everyone. I am a QLD local- just recieved an offer for JCU med in Cairns with ATAR 99.95

Just needed some help accepting this as my email from QTAC said that the last date to accept this offer is January 22nd (exact wording: Last day to accept your offer: 22 January 2024) , but the next offer round is on January 24th. Does this mean that I can conditionally accept by 22nd and still hold the offer in hand while next round comes out or not. I rly want an offer in a uni closer to home but could not be considered as QTAC had the wrong ATAR for me in their system

Any help would be rly appreciated thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey everyone. I am a QLD local- just recieved an offer for JCU med in Cairns with ATAR 99.95

Just needed some help accepting this as my email from QTAC said that the last date to accept this offer is January 22nd (exact wording: Last day to accept your offer: 22 January 2024) , but the next offer round is on January 24th. Does this mean that I can conditionally accept by 22nd and still hold the offer in hand while next round comes out or not. I rly want an offer in a uni closer to home but could not be considered as QTAC had the wrong ATAR for me in their system

Any help would be rly appreciated thank you!
I suggest you conditionally accept JCU Cairns *plus enrol*, see below.

You must not accept unconditionally as that would bar you from being considered for another offer.

Accepting conditionally you are eligible for and if you do receive another offer, QTAC says you'd lose JCU Cairns within the QTAC system i.e. your QTAC application will only show the new offer not both. But since you have enrolled in JCU Cairns your place there is still valid, until you enrol the new offer & withdraw from JCU. It's kinda feeling safer.

Can someone please guide me about deferring a course/degree.
I have got offer for dentistry from UQ, but also got offer for a computer science degree in UNSW. Can i technically defer UQ offer and study in UNSW for a year to see if i like computer science?

A1

Rookie Doc
Can someone please guide me about deferring a course/degree.
I have got offer for dentistry from UQ, but also got offer for a computer science degree in UNSW. Can i technically defer UQ offer and study in UNSW for a year to see if i like computer science?
Generally unis are happy for you to defer to travel or work a year or simply have a break from studying. But several are specifically against granting deferral to study somewhere else. I don't remember if UQ has this clause, so google "UQ deferral" to check.

If UQ doesn't care what reason for deferral then look whether there's a link to defer in the offer email or on their website.

raju

Lurker
I’ll be able to let these forums know then. I received an assessment from UAC that a 15XX SAT converted to a 99.75. I also scored an exorbitantly high UCAT this year, so whether I get an interview should confirm the feasibility of this pathway.
Hi, were you able to get an interview? Is this a valid pathways? Thanks

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi, were you able to get an interview? Is this a valid pathways? Thanks
The OP got a UNSW interview but not a place offer despite 99.75 equiv + 99%ile 3370 UCAT.
Could be coz the interview went badly, or they suspected when it came to the offer round UNSW used their actual ATAR 99.10 not the SAT equiv 99.75.

(OP then got both WSU JMP place offers which are mostly weighted on the interview, thus they believed the UNSW interview couldn't be so bad).

raju

Lurker
The OP got a UNSW interview but not a place offer despite 99.75 equiv + 99%ile 3370 UCAT.
Could be coz the interview went badly, or they suspected when it came to the offer round UNSW used their actual ATAR 99.10 not the SAT equiv 99.75.

(OP then got both WSU JMP place offers which are mostly weighted on the interview, thus they believed the UNSW interview couldn't be so bad).
Thanks for the reply, any news of anyone using it for griffith med as it is just an atar threshold?

_honeydew

Lurker
Hi everyone, I'm from the ACT and I was looking at NSW medical programs. Do I count as a NSW or an interstate student? I would like to clarify please as ACT is often tied in with NSW.

Thank you!

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi everyone, I'm from the ACT and I was looking at NSW medical programs. Do I count as a NSW or an interstate student? I would like to clarify please as ACT is often tied in with NSW.
Thank you!
UNSW & JMP invite ACT applicants to the same interview round as for NSW applicants. Iirc there's no difference in the cutoff marks between NSW vs ACT vs interstate so no real advantage to ACT other than the interview date.

WSU has lower interview cutoffs for GWS applicants and NSW applicants. Unfortunately for you WSU counts ACT as non-NSW.