Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

Eleue

I think the issue was that the transcript recorded a percentage below 85%, which is not considered first-class by Griffith. I think they'd only award a 7.0 to those with a first-class honours if a) the transcript didn't record the overall percentage or b) the percentage was 85% or above.

I called up Griffith admission earlier this year, and the kind lady informed me that the GPA cut off for 2018 was 6.75. However, if you have a first class Honours, the GPA cut off was 6.65. So I guess a first class Honours doesn’t give you a GPA of 7, but does help lowering the cut off value. Hopefully this information helps :)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I called up Griffith admission earlier this year, and the kind lady informed me that the GPA cut off for 2018 was 6.75. However, if you have a first class Honours, the GPA cut off was 6.65. So I guess a first class Honours doesn’t give you a GPA of 7, but does help lowering the cut off value. Hopefully this information helps :)
That’s incredibly useful information! Thanks so much for sharing :)

Nihal50

Lurker
hi Eleue,

Do you know if this is weighted gpa?

And do you know how there would calculate your gpa if you have a 7.0 from honours, and a slightly lower gpa from my bachelor degree?

Thanks

Eleue

hi Eleue,

Do you know if this is weighted gpa?

And do you know how there would calculate your gpa if you have a 7.0 from honours, and a slightly lower gpa from my bachelor degree?

Thanks
Hi Nihal50,

I'm not entirely sure if the GPA cutoff is based on a weighted GPA or not, I'm assuming that they assess it based on the GPA value that is listed on your academic transcript and hence could be unweighted (I could be wrong on this). But based on what I've inferred from Griffith admission, your overall GPA doesn't take account into your Honours year, your GPA is purely based on your bachelor degree. It is just that having a first class Honours helps lowering the GPA (from Bachelor degree) required. However, it's best to confirm it with Griffith admission to be 100% sure. I'm sorry that I couldn't be of much help.

Eleue

Also, good to confirm with Griffith admission, just in case the requirement for first class Honours changes for the following year entry.

Cal

vibe
Anyone know what the minimum ATAR required for Griffiths Dentistry is?
It was 99.80 last year, I got a 99.5 last year and missed out, and that is what they released on the website. They do not let in many school leavers at all. Your best bet is to go to uni and resit the ucat and try and get your gpa to a 7 (which isn't as hard as it sounds provided you do the work). That is unless of course your atar is high enough for it :)

Winger42

It was 99.80 last year, I got a 99.5 last year and missed out, and that is what they released on the website. They do not let in many school leavers at all. Your best bet is to go to uni and resit the ucat and try and get your gpa to a 7 (which isn't as hard as it sounds provided you do the work). That is unless of course your atar is high enough for it :)
Wow, so their Dent. cutoff was higher than their Med. cutoff? Most Med. courses are harder to get into than Dent. courses, right?

Cal

vibe
Wow, so their Dent. cutoff was higher than their Med. cutoff? Most Med. courses are harder to get into than Dent. courses, right?
Yeah in general they are, although the gap seems to be closing as more people are applying for both. But I think for griffith they rather non-standards that have university experience, which is why it is so high because I think they only let in like 8-10 high school students last year, while they have at least 40 non-standards.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Generally speaking yes, but this isn’t always the case. The reason for Griffith’s high cutoff in particular is that they accept applications from non-standard applicants, and the conversion system used means those with 6.75+ GPAs (presumably) have equivalent ATARs above 99.5.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
6.875 was the cut off for last year for 1 year full time equivalent or more.
Was this information provided by Griffith admissions? We have a 6.85 reported for the previous admissions cycle.

Was this information provided by Griffith admissions? We have a 6.85 reported for the previous admissions cycle.

I emailed admissions. candidates of atar > 99 or GPA > 6.5 encouraged to apply, as admissions cut offs fluctuate between 99-99.95 or 6.5-7.0. Last year they said it was 6.875, it depends on the year. overall still pretty high regardless.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I emailed admissions. candidates of atar > 99 or GPA > 6.5 encouraged to apply, as admissions cut offs fluctuate between 99-99.95 or 6.5-7.0. Last year they said it was 6.875, it depends on the year. overall still pretty high regardless.
Awesome, thanks for the info! I’ll add it to the collated data for 2019 entry :)

ETA: Is it possible 6.875 was the cutoff for the first round of offers but it dropped for subsequent rounds?

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc

Around that level, with 1 FTE the GPA can only be 6.75 or 6.875, with 1.5 FTE you can squeeze in 6.833. So basically if above 6.833 it might as well be said as 6.875.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Around that level, with 1 FTE the GPA can only be 6.75 or 6.875, with 1.5 FTE you can squeeze in 6.833. So basically if above 6.833 it might as well be said as 6.875.
I agree with that sentiment, I was just curious as to whether an official cutoff had been provided by the admissions team or not (though, more people than just those with 1-1.5 FTE years apply at Griffith).

Cal

vibe
I agree with that sentiment, I was just curious as to whether an official cutoff had been provided by the admissions team or not (though, more people than just those with 1-1.5 FTE years apply at Griffith).
Official atar cutoff was 99.80 for first round, they probably equate a 7 to like 99.95 and then move backwards from there I think based on that? Unless they have released a legitimate gpa to atar equivalency

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Official atar cutoff was 99.80 for first round, they probably equate a 7 to like 99.95 and then move backwards from there I think based on that? Unless they have released a legitimate gpa to atar equivalency
Yep, this is what I think they do as well. It’s definitely a different ATAR conversion system to what UAC uses.

Reactions: Cal