Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

Hi Yamster, how many places do you reckon are allocated for non-standards? Considering the relative ease of optaining a GPA of 7 after either doing one year of uni or just honours compared to entire 3 years, do you ever reckon there will be a situation where the supply of people with GPA of 7 exceed the places for all non-standard places? If so, will the tiebreaker be the undergrad GPA for honours students and ATAR for first year students?

I don't think there are allocations to non-standard/standard spots like med places. I mean that situation isn't impossible but I haven't heard of it ever happening.

In your scenario, let us hypothetically say it does happen, then yes the tiebreaker would be undergrad GPA/ATAR.

1. Yes
2. If you have less than 1FTE of study then I believe you’re ineligible (Yamster can confirm). If a first and second+ year student have the same GPA and they need to decide between them, they will take the student with more study. Otherwise, if you have 1FTE of study then you’ll just need to meet the cutoff GPA for that year (I.e. a student that has completed first year wouldn’t need a higher GPA than other students).

Hope that makes sense.

With this ranking system - is the candidates overall GPA with the more study ie 1.5years FTE considered or is it simply the final year GPA and x amount of study as the tie breaker

Moreover as a non standard leaver, is it possible to get QTAC to provide us with a ranking? I recall seeing somewhere that you can call up however I am not sure if this is only for SL

Cheers

With this ranking system - is the candidates overall GPA with the more study ie 1.5years FTE considered or is it simply the final year GPA and x amount of study as the tie breaker
Overall GPA comes first, then amount of study would be a tiebreaker if you were comparing two candidates with the same level qualification (obviously if you’ve done honours or a higher degree you’d be ranked higher). Final year GPA wouldn’t be part of the ranking system, I wouldn’t think, as Griffith and QTAC both use unweighted GPA.
Moreover as a non standard leaver, is it possible to get QTAC to provide us with a ranking? I recall seeing somewhere that you can call up however I am not sure if this is only for SL

Cheers
It is, but there wouldn’t be any need to do this if you’re just applying for dentistry as they will look at your GPA, not your selection rank. If you call QTAC they should tell you what your GPA has been assessed as, though.

Overall GPA comes first, then amount of study would be a tiebreaker if you were comparing two candidates with the same level qualification (obviously if you’ve done honours or a higher degree you’d be ranked higher). Final year GPA wouldn’t be part of the ranking system, I wouldn’t think, as Griffith and QTAC both use unweighted GPA.
It is, but there wouldn’t be any need to do this if you’re just applying for dentistry as they will look at your GPA, not your selection rank. If you call QTAC they should tell you what your GPA has been assessed as, though.

Thanks for that! I wasn't sure as in my case I have a previous degree to my current degree - so from what I gather, they will calculate the GPA from both degrees and use the highest GPA (or most recent degree) for admissions? Also is it confirmed they don't combine GPA between degrees ie will only use my most recent/better degree, otherwise I'm in trouble haha

Ahh I see, ill give them a call tomorrow - cheers!

Thanks for that! I wasn't sure as in my case I have a previous degree to my current degree - so from what I gather, they will calculate the GPA from both degrees and use the highest GPA (or most recent degree) for admissions? Also is it confirmed they don't combine GPA between degrees ie will only use my most recent/better degree, otherwise I'm in trouble haha

Ahh I see, ill give them a call tomorrow - cheers!

Yes to the former (they'll use the highest mark). WRT the latter, no. Typically unis will not mix and match between degrees for the purposes of GPA calculation as it is difficult to replicate this process between candidates (I imagine) in an objective manner. An exception may be where you have credit from a prior degree, in this case those units may be used in the current GPA calculation.

Yes to the former (they'll use the highest mark). WRT the latter, no. Typically unis will not mix and match between degrees for the purposes of GPA calculation as it is difficult to replicate this process between candidates (I imagine) in an objective manner. An exception may be where you have credit from a prior degree, in this case those units may be used in the current GPA calculation.

Thanks for the response Perplex, I hadn't actually considered that as I do have credits from my previous degree - I wonder if anyone on this forum has had a similar experience and can shed some light? I assumed they wouldn't as people are able to apply with only 1 year FTE but your suggestion seems reasonable

Just called QTAC and this is a summary of what they told me if this helps any other candidates

For Griffith:

• Whether advanced standing is calculated in your GPA depends on whether your home uni includes it Ie if there is no grade next to advanced standing/credit it is not calculated
  • GPA is calculated from your home university as stated by A1 and others, it is not converted via Griffiths grading system
  • Griffith rank all your GPA’s from complete and incomplete degrees and choose the highest one
I wasn’t able to get my gpa as I have only recently submitted but I guess that will tell whether all this is true

I just had a general question for any current dental students. Is having access to a laptop important while in class? I usually like to print out the slides and write notes by hand, but I'm not sure whether having a laptop will make it easier.

Hey guys
I have been reading the Griffith dent cut offs for the last few years! And I am quite nervous now
Is my GPA of 6.875 good enough to get in!?
And I am applying through UAC (1st preference )
I'm not sure if that makes a difference if I apply through QTAC

I just had a general question for any current dental students. Is having access to a laptop important while in class? I usually like to print out the slides and write notes by hand, but I'm not sure whether having a laptop will make it easier.
During the undergraduate portion printing out / handwriting notes is definitely feasible. I can’t speak for the final two years, though - I know for medicine the amount of content / notes is too much to feasibly print all lecture slides, and would assume dentistry would be similar (but I don’t actually know, sorry).
Hey guys
I have been reading the Griffith dent cut offs for the last few years! And I am quite nervous now
Is my GPA of 6.875 good enough to get in!?
And I am applying through UAC (1st preference )
I'm not sure if that makes a difference if I apply through QTAC
Your GPA has been enough in all previous years (assuming you have at least 1FTE year of study completed) so unless there is a significant jump in the cutoff (which is actually not too unlikely) you should be safe. Applying through UAC/QTAC makes no difference other than the fact that you’ll find out if you made it in a little earlier if you applied through UAC (their main offer round happens a few days before QTACs). Good luck! :)

Thanks for your reply Crow.

What makes you say a 'significant' jump in cut-off is not unlikely. Is this just based on the trend in previous offers reported on MSO, or are there other factors this year that could influence the cut-off?

Thanks for your reply Crow.

What makes you say a 'significant' jump in cut-off is not unlikely. Is this just based on the trend in previous offers reported on MSO, or are there other factors this year that could influence the cut-off?
No specific factors relevant to this year, just that the general trend with medicine and dentistry entry cutoffs is in the upwards direction, and I believe the first round cutoff for Griffith dentistry has been above 6.8 at least once in the past, so a jump to 6.88, while not particularly likely, is not completely out of the question. Obviously this would require a pretty significant jump in applicant scores this year, so you should be pretty confident with your 6.875, but not enough for us to make you any guarantees. Good luck :)

Re. printing slides in Med or Dent.

If you’re committed to the method (like me!) then I can confirm it’s definitely feasible in year 1 because I just did it. I felt bad for a minute or so every time I hit print, but when I had those slides to write on in lectures, it all went away and I was glad! I also used them to study from quite comprehensively so, for me anyway, it worked well. I wasn’t the only one that used printed slides.

I’d say most people used one note or similar though, and imported the lecture slides to type notes next to during lectures, but most of those people also spent lectures online shopping or YouTubing and distracting others around them so, yaknow...!

Obviously both methods will rely on slides being provided in a timely manner, which definitely wasn’t always the case.

My application also shows pending. I recall asking QTAC about this and the person on the phone mentioned that this was normal and had something to do with Griffith assessing each applicant with their own entry criteria.

Re. printing slides in Med or Dent.

If you’re committed to the method (like me!) then I can confirm it’s definitely feasible in year 1 because I just did it. I felt bad for a minute or so every time I hit print, but when I had those slides to write on in lectures, it all went away and I was glad! I also used them to study from quite comprehensively so, for me anyway, it worked well. I wasn’t the only one that used printed slides.

I’d say most people used one note or similar though, and imported the lecture slides to type notes next to during lectures, but most of those people also spent lectures online shopping or YouTubing and distracting others around them so, yaknow...!

Obviously both methods will rely on slides being provided in a timely manner, which definitely wasn’t always the case.
What did you do when the slides weren't provided? Use one note then handwrite?

Hey, I'm just abit confused. I contacted QTAC regarding my GPA and they said each institution will be using my most recent study which is my honours year, however they said that holds a GPA of 6.0 (it was first class honours, but less than 85).

Does this mean Griffith will see my GPA as 6 and not as first class honours (i.e. GPA of 7)?

Back