Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

LaTrobe La Trobe Dentistry: General Discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 34945
  • Start date

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
It does seem there's alot more people who get dent first than med in my experience. It's probably because the day to day work of an OMFS is alot more aligned with Dentistry than Medicine, and as such there is very little exposure to dental work in Medical School but alot of dental exposure in a Dentistry Degree.

I must ask though, what has inspired you to take interest in a pretty small field? You might find that if your wish to become an OMFS is on pretty shaky assumptions about the field you might be better off with a med degree. Sure there's less dental experience in Medical School, but the speciality selection upon graduating are alot more diverse

It does seem there's alot more people who get dent first than med in my experience. It's probably because the day to day work of an OMFS is alot more aligned with Dentistry than Medicine, and as such there is very little exposure to dental work in Medical School but alot of dental exposure in a Dentistry Degree.

I must ask though, what has inspired you to take interest in a pretty small field? You might find that if your wish to become an OMFS is on pretty shaky assumptions about the field you might be better off with a med degree. Sure there's less dental experience in Medical School, but the speciality selection upon graduating are alot more diverse
Thanks for your help guys. My inspiration to become an OMFS isn't anything drastically tbh. I know i've always wanted to become a surgeon so it just comes down to if i get into med I'd have many options as you said. But if I don't get into med and do dent that OMFS seemed like the next best option. Additionally, since it is such a small field how do the training programs select their candidates is it based off Uni grades or a portfolio of some sort
Thanks

Caffeine

Thanks for your help guys. My inspiration to become an OMFS isn't anything drastically tbh. I know i've always wanted to become a surgeon so it just comes down to if i get into med I'd have many options as you said. But if I don't get into med and do dent that OMFS seemed like the next best option. Additionally, since it is such a small field how do the training programs select their candidates is it based off Uni grades or a portfolio of some sort
Thanks
You can find such information on the college website for OMFS

cocodreams

The two OMFS I’ve done placement with this year (small sample size, I know!) did dent first. And a friend’s partner who is currently training also did dent first. But I’d imagine either way works. There are some good threads here on OMFS contributed to by those with excellent knowledge so I’d have a search.
In addition to this, I know someone who finished undergrad med at monash and are now in dental school to become OMFS. So as LMG said, either way works :)

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Honestly OMFS is such a long and uncertain route I'd argue you'd be better taking a year doing a non dentistry degree or deferring your offer to study dentistry to spend an extra year or two getting into med. The odds for getting onto the OMFS program is as shite as any FRACS program, except now you have a dental degree to factor into the mix...

Just my personal opinion. But I just don't think its wise doing a degree that you have no intention on using. Its like doing MedSci to do med, if your happiness of it is conditional on you getting into med, your plan probably isnt that air tight

Anti-Dentite

Dentist | Oral Health Therapist
Thanks
The year is 2027. You are a recent graduate of a medical/dental degree. In the likely event that you don't get into an OMFS program (this is just the reality of it), what would you rather be?

A freshly minted dentist or a medical intern?

If you do dentistry first, you will have to do the following. Doing medicine first means the order is mixed up but you will have to do the same stuff.

- Dental degree (5-7 years, depending on pathway)
- Medical degree (3-4 years(?), lateral entry possible)
- Internship (1 year)
- Surgical residency (1 year)
- OMS surgical training (4 years)

Dotwingz is right in saying that the work of an OMFS lines up with dentistry way more than medicine. There's a reason why it's primarily a dental and not medical specialty after all. The most important thing here is to know what you would rather be doing if OMFS doesn't work out.

Last edited:

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Yes exactly.

My old dentist had a Med degree from 2003, did his BDS in 2008-11 (so 2004 intern, 2005 rmo, 2006-07 some sort of reg i assume) then worked for a number of years to get onto the OMFS scheme and was not able to, so he got a FRACGP finishing at the beginning of this year instead and now works as a general Dentist at a practice he opened as a co-op between a few dentists, he also does occasional weekends as a GP

He basically spent the last 10 to 20 years (depending on how you look at it) climbing a ladder took him no where. Hes a freshly minted dentist, and a freshly minted GP, a position he could of been in 10 years ago

I would not recommend doing dentistry just to do OMFS. If you dont intend on being a dentist then don't to dentistry. You can always develop an interest later on in life and go back to uni to get a dental degree and do OMFS.

Anti-Dentite

Dentist | Oral Health Therapist
I would not recommend doing dentistry just to do OMFS. If you dont intend on being a dentist then don't to dentistry. You can always develop an interest later on in life and go back to uni to get a dental degree and do OMFS.
True, but the caveat being that most people who want to do OMFS (a dental specialty) would prefer to be a dentist over a medical practitioner anyway.

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Yeah true, probably because you can jump straight into becoming a hands on general dentist. I’d assume after at least 8 years at uni you would be sick of the rat race! aha

LJess94

Can anyone clarify what the general requirement is for non standard info Latrobe.
I have a GPA of 6.625 and a UCAT of 3000. LaTrobe will be the the only thing on my VTAC application and so I’m not wanting to apply if I have no chance but if I have a chance I’ll apply 😂 Anyone have any idea/thoughts?

q8888315

now works as a general Dentist at a practice he opened as a co-op between a few dentists, he also does occasional weekends as a GP
I am superised that he prefers being a dentist rather than GP.
I think GP have a better lifestyle and easier job(physically) than dentist.

LJess94

Does anyone know when offers come out for LaTrobe Dental Science?
I’m a non standard and saw somewhere about offers being in November? I’m not sure where I saw it and I can’t find anything when I search for offer dates.
Thank you in advance ❤️

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Does anyone know when offers come out for LaTrobe Dental Science?
I’m a non standard and saw somewhere about offers being in November? I’m not sure where I saw it and I can’t find anything when I search for offer dates.
Thank you in advance ❤️
I think early offers are for people who apply via the Aspire pathway (which is not something I'm super familiar with, just something I’ve heard mentioned here).

LJess94

I think early offers are for people who apply via the Aspire pathway (which is not something I'm super familiar with, just something I’ve heard mentioned here).
Oh I see thank you. I wasn’t sure about non standard as it says on VTAC that there’s non school leaver offers in November. All a bit confusing 🙃

ETA: Sorry I should mention. That’s a general thing on VTAC, not dental science specific

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey guys, I just got a conditional scholarship at latrobe for dentistry and I was wondering if someone could tell me the pro's and con's about the course. Thanks in advance

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
MrWhippe is the only MSO La Trobe dent student I know (And he’s very helpful and friendly the last few times Ive pinged him out of the blue 😁!) so he might be able to help…

Orherwise i’m sure there’s a La Trobe Dent Student Society which if you asked nicely would help you out… (of which you would contribute back to MSO!)

cocodreams

Hey guys, I just got a conditional scholarship at latrobe for dentistry and I was wondering if someone could tell me the pro's and con's about the course. Thanks in advance
If you don't mind me asking, are you a non-school leaver and how did you receive the scholarship/offer so early?