Med and Dent - 2018 Entry (Place Offers and Discussion)

Discussion in 'Offers Forum' started by LMG!, Nov 26, 2017.

1. hopefulgal

hopefulgal Member

I have a friend who got a 99.95 atar and it means automatic entitlement to a scholarship at Monash?

https://www.monash.edu/study/fees-s...-scholarship-for-outstanding-achievement-5762

2. KiwiDavo

KiwiDavo Member

Not for us Kiwis unfortunately (unless you did IB here in NZ)

Edit: If I did/could get this, then I'd probably be swayed to go to Monash, but that's not the case from my research/contact with Monash :(

3. hopefulgal

hopefulgal Member

Oh right, we both took IB so that would make more sense. :/ Amazing that you got offers to both though! Congrats on such great CIE results

KiwiDavo likes this.
  4. KiwiDavo

KiwiDavo Member

Cheers! Honestly, you IB peeps had it so much harder when it came to med school entry compared to us CIE boys (I'm assuming you're also from NZ and if so, where are you studying this year?)

5. hopefulgal

hopefulgal Member

So angry haha I wish I had done CIE or NCEA if I'd been set on Aussie - I'm going to Otago for now :) Best of luck in Sydney!

6. KiwiDavo

KiwiDavo Member

Thank you so much. And best of luck to you too in Otago (I'm assuming you'll be flying there soon if you're not already there/have always lived there.) Don't burn too many couches blah blah blah *insert classic Otago Uni stereotypes about drinking and burning couches*

hopefulgal likes this.
  7. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    I would have thought more carefully about this. Though the legislation change was struck down last year the gov can still re-introduce it in another form and if it passes, NZ students will be up for 35k/year or more tuition fees instead of 11k. Better get it out of the way asap.

8. tealcanvas

tealcanvas Member

Hey A1! I thought that with the previous legislation change, so long as you were enrolled before the legislation passed, you would still be paying the CSP fee for the duration of your degree?
    Although I'm guessing it might be different for graduate entry like Sydney U, but for Monash, wouldn't it remain the same fee if a legislation like the one before was passed?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. KiwiDavo

KiwiDavo Member

Aye. I indeed thought about this but at Monash, I'd be paying like 34K a year for 5 years for tuition and living expenses (without a student loan and upfront too) while at Syd, my undergrad years are basically taken care of and I've got residence sorted out for much cheaper than if I were to live in Melbourne.
    Another reason is because if the legislation were to be brought up again, it'd be done in 2021 and I think our Labour government would put up a lot more of a fight than what our National (equiv of your Conservative) did (at least I bloody well hope so.) In addition to this, I would be able to apply for a student loan too (but I totally get it, I'd still be paying 35K for 4 years vs 35K for 2)

10. A1

UWA MD minus-I
    I'm not aware of a clause that says it would only apply to students starting a new degree. Was there any exclusion from it being applied to current students for the remaining years of their degrees?

11. tealcanvas

tealcanvas Member

“Affected students already in a CSP will retain access to this support while they are enrolled in their

existing course.” This was written in the Higher Education Reform Package. I think the assumption was that basically so long as you were already enrolled before the legislation passed, you still had your CSP place (even though those fees were also going to increase.)
    The problem with graduate entry supposedly is that you had to re-enroll, so there was the question of whether you were starting a 'new course' or if it counted as an 'existing course'. I called up Queensland University to ask about this before, but they told me they were also unsure, and had been asking the government too,but since the legislation wasn't going to be passed, they didn't keep enquiring.

12. KiwiDavo

KiwiDavo Member

In that case, if that quote is retained in any further discussions in 2021 for us NZ folks, then any of us CSP people doing med courses/provisional MD courses starting this year wouldn't be affected I guess :yay: (I'd be beyond hyped if that was the case lmao)

13. tealcanvas

tealcanvas Member

That's what I'm hoping for!
    But again, the thing with provisional entry is that you do have to re-enrol - and re-enrollment might mean you don't necessarily retain your CSP place :( At least that's what it sounded like UQ was saying to me...

14. Thranduil007

Thranduil007 Member

Hey guys, to anyone out there waiting, there's still hope. Got 2 late med offers yesterday.
    Course Type: Med
    Offer Received: Yes
    University: Adelaide + Griffith
    UMAT: 86%
    ATAR or GPA: 99.65
    Special Considerations: No
    Offer Type: CSP
    Other Information: NZ student

med4lyf likes this.
  15. Zed

Zed Member

Which one will you choose Thranduil ?

16. Thranduil007

Thranduil007 Member

Probably Adelaide, I think. I was told that it gets more govt funding as well as having better employment prospects.

17. noum

noum Member

With Adelaide heard a lot about problem with internship after completing degree esp in coming yrs

Thranduil007, med4lyf and karenh like this.
  18. A1

UWA MD minus-I
    Adelaide/SA had huge problems the year just now 2017 but coming years won't be as bad since the number of grads from Adelaide+Flinders is dropping significantly.

Adelaide Y6 + Flinders Y4 from > http://www.medicaldeans.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Table-1.pdf
    (2016) 288 - (2017) 321 - (2018) 288 - (2019) 258 - (2020) 232.

Thranduil007, med4lyf and karenh like this.
  19. eh0214

eh0214 Member

What campus was it for griffith?

20. Thranduil007

Thranduil007 Member

Gold Coast