Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Med and Dent - 2018 Entry (Place Offers and Discussion)

Zed

The Med Deans issue a set of data for each year > Annual Tables « Medical Deans Australia & New Zealand
to date it's to 2017, the 2018 will come out around September I think.
Have you heard much about the MacQuarie med course? It looks like you can do the 2 year “Clinical Science” degree and be eligible for the 4 year med degree with some slight advantage over outside applicants. My concern would be if the 2-year Clinical Science degree does not get you into MacQ med (let's say you have a bad interview) then you do not have a three-year degree to apply to other Grad-entry med degrees.

Any thoughts?

A1

Rookie Doc
Have you heard much about the MacQuarie med course? It looks like you can do the 2 year “Clinical Science” degree and be eligible for the 4 year med degree with some slight advantage over outside applicants. My concern would be if the 2-year Clinical Science degree does not get you into MacQ med (let's say you have a bad interview) then you do not have a three-year degree to apply to other Grad-entry med degrees.

The MQ course is full fee and although it has been accredited people have expressed concerns about part of its clinical placement being done overseas. As for the 2-year degree you should check the GEMSAS guide, iirc half or more of the GEMSAS schools do accept with the proviso you can only apply *after* the year you graduate. I guess so to not gain a year's time advantage over other students.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Course Type: Dent
Offer Received: Yes
University: Adelaide
UMAT: 86
ATAR or GPA: 97
Special Considerations: None, school leaver
Offer Type: CSP
Other Information: Not taking it

You’ve got offers coming out your ears all of a sudden!! Congratulations!

Tomato

University: Adelaide
UMAT: 86
ATAR or GPA: 97
Other Information: Not taking it

Congrats on your 3rd offer. Would you defer this one? It seems they allow you to defer for 2 yrs.

noum

I have received an interview offer from the University of Adelaide. It's a 15 mins phone call interview so I am not sure how to prepare for it. I feel like since it's over the phone it's going to be a bit different from the normal interviews but I haven't found much information on the website about it. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Thank you in advance!

Hi how did you go with your interview- any update

University: La Trobe
UMAT: 85
ATAR or GPA: 99.10
Other Information: still deciding whether to go or not :(

Got this a while back (vtac first round).

Anyone going? Can’t seem to find any discussion on LaTrobe anywhere :(
Any current students/graduates that can give some advice?

Does anyone know if the uni you graduate from will affect future employment (for dent)? (don’t know if I should be asking in this thread)

Tomato

University: La Trobe
UMAT: 85
ATAR or GPA: 99.10
Other Information: still deciding whether to go or not :(

Got this a while back (vtac first round).

Anyone going? Can’t seem to find any discussion on LaTrobe anywhere :(
Any current students/graduates that can give some advice?

Does anyone know if the uni you graduate from will affect future employment (for dent)? (don’t know if I should be asking in this thread)

I guess you have already accepted and enrolled La Trobe Dent by the due date. Are you living in Victoria? Apart from these two offers, do you have any other offers? I think you should consider your preference, location, and costs, etc. You may need to get a loan for La Trobe's equipment and instrument fees (? $7000+ ?). It seems you need to provide your own high speed handpiece and coupling;)

I guess you have already accepted and enrolled La Trobe Dent by the due date. Are you living in Victoria? Apart from these two offers, do you have any other offers? I think you should consider your preference, location, and costs, etc. You may need to get a loan for La Trobe's equipment and instrument fees (? $7000+ ?). It seems you need to provide your own high speed handpiece and coupling;)

I wish. Though I’m forever grateful for getting any offers at all (there are people are in worse situations) :(

Nope, not from vic. From syd.
Unfortunately, I’m a permanent resident. That means no hecs :( Money would be a huge consideration, which is why I am considering a non science degree (got a scholarship for it in syd)

However, that aside, I was wondering if people could give me an insight into job opportunities for dent? Also, will the University affect employability for dentistry? And of course, whether Latrobe uni life is actually alright hahha (where are all the LaTrobe students at? :) )

If anyone could help, that would be most appreciated! Thank you :)

A1

Rookie Doc
What happens in the case of "Gap Year" candidates who have not commenced studies in 2018 and apply for 2019 entry into UTAS, WSU and UQ (as non-current Y12).

Gap year students are eligible to re-apply to all unis except USyd, and UQ which says you can only apply in the year you are completing Y12.

so my next move would be to take UMAT again as a Gap year student and try for JMP, WSU, UTAS (may be).

Why not try for Unsw again? You'll need 93ish %ile for WSU, that with 99.20 would give a decent chance for Unsw despite not getting an offer this year.

eh0214

Yes I did, just a little while ago. I did the phone interview last week.

No, I will be taking UNSW instead.

How come you received a phone interview? With such high UMAT didn't you get a face 2 face interview at the university?