Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions 2020/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
I would like to know what universities accepts non standard applicants (is this when you do a uni course and apply to med in ur 2nd year with a competitive ucat and gpa?) I tried doing some research but I only found that uni of Newcastle and adl uni allows it. Are there more?
Beware Adelaide accepts internal transfer i.e. Adelaide students only. JCU, JMP, WSU, UNSW, Bond accept non-standard applicants, see in this table
> [Undergrad] - (2020 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

Hello there!

I've gained some wisdom from my previous messages!! I kid-you-not

But I have a question regarding my options and pathways into med being given I've received my ATAR and am a Year 12 graduate of 2020. My ATAR (qld student) is pretty pretty poor in terms of med applicants; 89.20 and my UCAT was very very poor (not worth mentioning)! I'm a Rural student (whom get +2.00 added to my ATAR) and have received E.A.S (which i'm mostly certain doesn't come into consideration when applying for med courses). Hence a roughly adjusted ATAR score around 91.00.

Anyways, I was hoping someone could give me a clear response as to what my options and pathways into med would be! Like what external exams i would/could take like the UCAT again/GAMSAT, what route it would have to be (undergrad + gamsat entry + interview). The reason being, I'm very very confused as to where to go from here!!
Btw my preference for QTAC are Physio @ ACU, Medical Sonography @ CQU, Nursing @ USQ and UQ. However my adjusted ATAR is 97.00 when say applying for Nursing or Physio.

Kindest regards,
Matthew

Hi guys
I would like to know what universities accepts non standard applicants (is this when you do a uni course and apply to med in ur 2nd year with a competitive ucat and gpa?) I tried doing some research but I only found that uni of Newcastle and adl uni allows it. Are there more?
Wait....so a High GPA + competitive UCAT score [+ interview] is a pathway into med??? --> Like i've said above, i'm really confused about pathways into med......I thought that once your are in uni beginning a bachelors degree you automatically can only sit the GAMSAT only!??

Hello there!

I've gained some wisdom from my previous messages!! I kid-you-not

But I have a question regarding my options and pathways into med being given I've received my ATAR and am a Year 12 graduate of 2020. My ATAR (qld student) is pretty pretty poor in terms of med applicants; 89.20 and my UCAT was very very poor (not worth mentioning)! I'm a Rural student (whom get +2.00 added to my ATAR) and have received E.A.S (which i'm mostly certain doesn't come into consideration when applying for med courses). Hence a roughly adjusted ATAR score around 91.00.

Anyways, I was hoping someone could give me a clear response as to what my options and pathways into med would be! Like what external exams i would/could take like the UCAT again/GAMSAT, what route it would have to be (undergrad + gamsat entry + interview). The reason being, I'm very very confused as to where to go from here!!
Btw my preference for QTAC are Physio @ ACU, Medical Sonography @ CQU, Nursing @ USQ and UQ. However my adjusted ATAR is 97.00 when say applying for Nursing or Physio.

Kindest regards,
Matthew

Well essentially there are 4 types of entry into med

1 school leaver undergrad (an undergrad medical degree which takes *only school leavers - e.g. Adelaide)
2 school leaver provisional (a post grad medical degree that invites school leavers to get automatically entry - e.g. UQ)
3 non standard undergrad (and undergrad medical degree which takes current uni students aswell as school leaver - e.g. UoN, JCU, etc )
4 graduate entry (post grad schools - e.g. Deakin)

1,2 are off the table for you if you start at uni degree. This will make you ineligible to apply for *Adelaide, *Monash, and *Curtin, and all provisional programs (USyd, UQ, Griffith to name a few)

3 is open for you. These schools are like undergrad entry (e.g. use *UCAT) but instead use your GPA - this includes JCU, JMP, WSU, UNSW.

4 is open for you aswell. You can sit the GAMSAT in your second last year of study of your degree.

*for the most part

That's a big myth some people spread around. Come to us for good legit information :)

See this table for preliminary info (the Non-Standards section), then ask what else you want to know
> [Undergrad] - (2020 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards
I very much appreciate you both for your reply!!! I really mean it! Imma snoop around that forum and ask my question there then :))
ANY OTHER THOUGHT & REPLIES ARE WELCOME

3 is open for you. These schools are like undergrad entry (e.g. use *UCAT) but instead use your GPA - this includes JCU, JMP, WSU, UNSW.
Regarding this comment, do you know if generally if you are a student at one of these uni's [and do follow-through this pathway] is it advantageous if you attend one of these unis whilst doing your undergrad? Like being at a uni and trying to get into their program - would it be more advantageous, like would the uni show favour towards you as you are one of their students? I hope i'm making sense

An also [scenario-based] , whilst doing a undergrad (say first year) you get the good the GPA and the competitive UCAT score, can you transfer into to the med course directly...or would you have to finished your undegrad first and then go into med?

Regarding this comment, do you know if generally if you are a student at one of these uni's [and do follow-through this pathway] is it advantageous if you attend one of these unis whilst doing your undergrad? Like being at a uni and trying to get into their program - would it be more advantageous, like would the uni show favour towards you as you are one of their students? I hope i'm making sense

An also [scenario-based] , whilst doing a undergrad (say first year) you get the good the GPA and the competitive UCAT score, can you transfer into to the med course directly...or would you have to finished your undegrad first and then go into med?

There's no advantage to the listed universities directly above, but some universities only allow non standard applications from students of that university. Let me clarify my classification a bit more.

3A - Undergrad uni's that let any current students apply - JMP, JCU, UNSW, WSU, and Bond.
3B - Undergrad uni's that let only current students from the same institution apply - Adelaide, Curtin (both only have small quotas)
3C - Undergrad uni's that let any graduated students apply - Curtin
3D - Undergrad uni's that let only graduated students from the same insitution apply - Monash

With 3A and 3B you can apply whilst a student whilst the rest you have to graduate

We tend not to use the word transfer for this, it's more an alternate pathway into undergrad medicine for students who didn't get in directly after Y12. You can apply to JCU, UNSW, WSU, JMP, Bond during 1st/2nd/3rd year and even after you have graduated (in this case add Curtin). If successful you start med as a 1st year undergrad again thus we don't like calling it transfer, and no you don't have to wait till you complete the other degree.

Is JMP considered as two separate instutiotuons when applying on UAC?
ie. can we add both uni of newcastle and uni of new England in our preference?
There's only one UAC course code for JMP, then you submit a direct application to JMP in which you indicate your preference.
You will be considered for both, and get your campus preference only if you rank high enough in the offers list i.e. by your turn that campus has not run out of places.

Hello!

Would someone be able to advise me about the academic reputation of the following universities (Griffith, Monash, UNSW, Curtin, UWA, Adelaide, Flinders)?
The AMA website said this is something to consider when choosing a university, but I am not quite sure where I can find out about this (although I have seen the university rankings, I am not confident this is an accurate depiction).

The AMA website said this is something to consider when choosing a university, but I am not quite sure where I can find out about this (although I have seen the university rankings, I am not confident this is an accurate depiction).
Out of interest, could you please link to where the AMA is giving such silly advice? Basically "academic reputation" doesn't matter - it really shouldn't be a significant consideration for Australian students selecting domestic universities for med school.

That's frankly dreadful advice. I'd suggest you disregard it - the other factors they list are far more relevant.

Okay. But could you (or anyone else) be able to provide some insight into what the quality of teaching is like at each university (e.g. is one course more self-directed, is there a lot of support available)?

Okay. But could you (or anyone else) be able to provide some insight into what the quality of teaching is like at each university (e.g. is one course more self-directed, is there a lot of support available)?

The absolute vast majority of people only attend one medical school so providing this kind of insight is largely impossible. ‘Quality’ and ‘degree of support provided’ are such subjective things that one person’s experience is unlikely to be representative. As chinaski mentioned, it’s really not something you need to factor in unless you are an international student and then some things do become relevant. You can look at the individual sub-threads here for each University and see what has been said by current/past students, though what that means in comparison to another university at another point in time probably won’t mean much.

Hardly any of us here has had the luxury of attending more than one med school to be able to compare. Bottom line is every Aus med school has been AMC accredited for registration with the Medical Board.

AMA has included "academic reputation" in its advice just in case you are contemplating OUM ;) > Home

Hardly any of us here has had the luxury of attending more than one med school to be able to compare. Bottom line is every Aus med school has been AMC accredited for registration with the Medical Board.

AMA has included "academic reputation" in its advice just in case you are contemplating OUM ;) > Home
Hi A1!

I am incredibly sorry if this is not the right place to be asking you as I am unfamiliar with this website.

But can you please direct me to the appropriate thread that discusses different UCAT preparation services?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back