Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions Thread #2: 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Can you receive early offers into undergraduate Medicine? Before ATARs come out?

Yes, they are conditional offers. If you do not go on to meet the ATAR requirement, the offer will not be confirmed.

This is also how graduate medicine works, except it’s GPA not ATAR.

D

Deleted member 34945

hi guys,
Can I start a diploma and apply with the first semester scores from a diploma instead of a bachelors degree.
What score do u think will be needed?
Thanks.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
hi guys,
Can I start a diploma and apply with the first semester scores from a diploma instead of a bachelors degree.
Thanks.
No, you can’t use a diploma for entry into Australian medicine courses. As advised by several site members, you’ll need to start a bachelor’s level degree and apply as a non-standard applicant if you want to study medicine in Australia. You seem to be quite against starting an undergraduate degree that isn’t medicine or dentistry - is there a particular reason you have for this?

ETA: As pointed out below apparently the JMP allows diplomas to be used, though I can’t imagine anybody would recommend this as a sensible course of action over starting a bachelor degree.

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
hi guys,

Crow is 95% correct. Apparently you can be eligible for JMP with a Diploma, but one semester is not enough you will need a full year of study (by end of the year you submit your application) with a Distinction average. Please see this table again
> [Undergrad] - (2018 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

An important factor to keep in mind is, doing a Diploma limits you to just this one avenue with 1 in 20 chance of getting a place offer (about 4 in 20 get invited to an interview and only 1 of these 4 gets a place). Doing a Bachelor allows you to apply to three schools JMP WSU JCU and if you're unsuccessful with these you can progress to applying for grad entry.

Hi there, I am a NZ non-standard student who has received 2 interviews for dentistry (UAdel, CSU). Given the financial commitment involved in flying over/staying in Australia for these interviews, I was wondering if someone is able to evaluate realistic chances of gaining an offer at these two universities (provided interview goes well - but I am worried about potential discrimination due to my status as a NZer?). My 1st semester GPA = 6.75, UMAT = 92%ile, and ATAR equivalent in 2017 = 98.85. Many thanks

D

Deleted member 34945

No, you can’t use a diploma for entry into Australian medicine courses. As advised by several site members, you’ll need to start a bachelor’s level degree and apply as a non-standard applicant if you want to study medicine in Australia. You seem to be quite against starting an undergraduate degree that isn’t medicine or dentistry - is there a particular reason you have for this?

ETA: As pointed out below apparently the JMP allows diplomas to be used, though I can’t imagine anybody would recommend this as a sensible course of action over starting a bachelor degree.
Hey,
The reason is I’m not able to decide which degree to start as I’m not interested in anything apart from med. I was thinking of something like medical science, clinical science but you guys suggested not to.
Then I thought of something like psychology or architecture but then wasn’t sure if I could study and score the required GPA.
Thanks.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hi there, I am a NZ non-standard student who has received 2 interviews for dentistry (UAdel, CSU). Given the financial commitment involved in flying over/staying in Australia for these interviews, I was wondering if someone is able to evaluate realistic chances of gaining an offer at these two universities (provided interview goes well - but I am worried about potential discrimination due to my status as a NZer?). My 1st semester GPA = 6.75, UMAT = 92%ile, and ATAR equivalent in 2017 = 98.85. Many thanks

Your scores are pretty good! I'd say likely provided that you've got a good interview! :)

A1

Rookie Doc
The reason is I’m not able to decide which degree to start as I’m not interested in anything apart from med. I was thinking of something like medical science, clinical science but you guys suggested not to.
Then I thought of something like psychology or architecture but then wasn’t sure if I could study and score the required GPA.

Instead of spending a year on a needless Diploma you can try the sneaky way of re-doing Y12 in an Aus school to get an actual ATAR. Make sure to include English & Chem to meet the prereqs, you'd be eligible to all undergrad schools instead of just a few non-standard. Even sneakier, try get into a disadvantaged school (see SATAC list of these schools) to get the ATAR bonus ;)

I remember you saying you are living in SA, it seems there's no age restriction there according to this website
> SA.GOV.AU - SA education system
17 years and older
Young people aged 17 and older may choose to return to school to complete SACE, continue with formal study, participate in a community education program or start work.

D

Deleted member 34945

Instead of spending a year on a needless Diploma you can try the sneaky way of re-doing Y12 in an Aus school to get an actual ATAR. Make sure to include English & Chem to meet the prereqs, you'd be eligible to all undergrad schools instead of just a few non-standard. Even sneakier, try get into a disadvantaged school (see SATAC list of these schools) to get the ATAR bonus ;)

I remember you saying you are living in SA, it seems there's no age restriction there according to this website
> SA.GOV.AU - SA education system
Hello,
I mailed jcu with my score and this is the response. Check out the attachment.
So now is the score competitive to get me a place provided interview and written application goes well?
Thanks.

Attachments

• CE4B45D6-C320-4F59-8467-3C36F590E6C2.png
    CE4B45D6-C320-4F59-8467-3C36F590E6C2.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 52

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hello,
So now is the score competitive to get me a place provided interview and written application goes well?
Thanks.

If you're a non-rural applicant then, we've definitely seen people in the past be offered interviews with ATARs in the 97s, but we didn't have any reported offers here last year that were that low, so it's very difficult to say whether it would be competitive for JCU. I'd be leaning towards no, unfortunately. If this ATAR is also accepted by UAC, then you're much more competitive at JMP and WSU where ATAR is a hurdle only. 97.00 may also scrape you a Bond psychometric test invite, but you'd have to be in a financial position to pay full fees for that to be viable.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hello,

Adding to LMG's reply couple of things to watch out for are you would apply to JCU via QTAC so it's QTAC that determines your ATAR equivalent, best to get that from QTAC not JCU. You will also need to have the prereqs of Y12 English + Chem + Maths B, again QTAC can advise if yours are equivalent.

For WSU & JMP your qualification is assessed by UAC as part of the application process, but you won't know the equivalent until then. If you can afford $130 UAC can do a formal assessment for you in advance
> Qualifications Assessment Service - UAC

D

Deleted member 34945

Moments of happiness
Thanks btw.

Hello,
Another thing I need to mention, last year I applied to jcu medicine with same score as an international student and got an interview offer from jcu. But since the interview dint go well so I couldn’t make it to jcu.
The score (97ATAR) not competitive for jcu dentistry also as domestic applicant?
Thanks.

EtA: Now I am a domestic applicant

Last edited by a moderator:

A1

Rookie Doc
The score (97ATAR) not competitive for jcu dentistry also as domestic applicant?

As I mentioned some time ago we cannot give any useful advice until you obtain a formal ATAR equivalent from the TACs. Numbers given by the unis are not reliable enough for consideration, as evidenced by 80 from UoN yet 97 from JCU.

If you are interested in Dentistry one possible path is do first year Science (or any degree that suits you), stack the year with units that you are strong with, score all HDs for GPA 7 and apply to Griffith Dent. We know so far GPA 7 is practically assured of a place. Its last 2 Master years of the 3+2 course is full fee totaling around $120k but you can use a Fee-Help loan and pay it back with your future income.

Last edited by a moderator:

Molarbear

Hi guys,
This is a little random but should I wear my glasses to a dentistry interview or contacts? I'm worried that they may have some preference for non short sighted candidates etc. (and also to a lesser degree if students have to wear loupes and stuff for clinical labs they can't unless they have a prescription or contacts?). Thanks!

Tomato

Hi guys,
This is a little random but should I wear my glasses to a dentistry interview or contacts? I'm worried that they may have some preference for non short sighted candidates etc. (and also to a lesser degree if students have to wear loupes and stuff for clinical labs they can't unless they have a prescription or contacts?). Thanks!

I don't think wearing glasses will make any disadvantage. Don't worry about wearing glasses when you wear the loupes because you can choose headgear style ones.

AC711

Lurker
Hi everyone,
For anyone who’s familiar with Flinders, do you know how they handle their bonded and unbonded places? If you receive an undergraduate offer, are you told if this is a bonded/unbonded place, or is this decided after the Bachelor of Clinical Sciences component in the first two years?
Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.