Quick Questions Thread #2: 2018-2019

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by LMG!, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    There is no separate quota for IB students, so you have the same chance as someone who did non-IB year 12 with the same ATAR and UMAT as you.

2. Lyyrre

Lyyrre New Member

Sorry for the double post from the other forum. Could someone fill me in about the UNSW selection process? It is to my understanding that UNSW uses all 3 criterions (ATAR, UMAT, INTERVIEW) in equal proportions in their offer selection, I've also heard something about the use z-scores and normal distributions? Given that my UMAT (181/91%ile) and ATAR (99.85) are on the lower end of the spectrum of interviewees, it seems that with my UMAT pulling me down, I am disadvantaged from the outset compared to the "average" candidate with a 50/50 chance, is this true?

3. Crow

Crow Moderator (Griffith MD) Most Active 2018

Read Ruffle's post here for a great explanation: Quick Questions Thread #2: 2018-2019

Lyyrre likes this.
  4. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    Based on number of sessions and MMI circuits I estimate Monash invites 80-100 interstate applicants (but quite a few didn't turn up in my year). They set aside around 40 places to offer to this round.

As Crow already wrote your chances are quite high, better than 50/50 if not upward of 70% chance.

Diagonalley likes this.
  5. 226471

226471 New Member

Hi all, does anyone know if this is any indication of my chances for a late round offer?

No offers have yet been made to the following:

• Pref 1 428000 B MedMD or B Arts/B MedMD at UNSW 18 Feb 2019 (Course type: CSP)

6. BethMark25

BethMark25 WSU MBBS II

To me that sounds more promising than others who have received notes for JMP saying they didn't meet the requirements. However as @LMG has mentioned (quoted below) the UAC codes have been unreliable in the past, so I wouldn't put much weight on it.

7. umatsitter

umatsitter Regular Member

Haha would you and Crow be able to do the same for me too please? I'm non rural, 99.10 atar and 99% umat (71/73/58). Pretty sure I'll be in the lower half of applicants, but how good would my performance have to be to be in with a great chance of an offer? I've got monash as my first preference. Thanks

OptimistPrime likes this.
  8. umatsitter

umatsitter Regular Member

Hey guys, I received an email from UWA last night with the following:

The first round of interview offers have been released and unfortunately you were unsuccessful. However, please be advised that you are on the academic reserve list should enough Medicine/Dentistry students decline their interview offer......Second round interview offers (if necessary) will be issued on Friday, 18th January 2019. You will receive an update on your application status on this date. The interviews have been scheduled for 24th January 2019.

I'm a bit surprised to be honest. Thought I'd receive one based on 99.10 atar and 99 umat? Was I wrong in expecting an interview or is there an issue which I need to follow up on?

1234med and OptimistPrime like this.
  9. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    99.10/99th%ile put you around average among the interviewees, so roughly 40% chance for Monash?

10. Twins

Twins New Member

Twin 1 : received same letter as you with ATar 99.4 and Umat 92
    Twin 2 : they calculated my ATar wrong and now I am struggling to get that corrected.

11. lois

lois New Member

No I'm not from victoria, from nsw

I apparently am on the 'academic reserve list' so I suppose we will see..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2019
    1234med likes this.
  12. Arbra5934

Arbra5934 New Member

Hey quick question,
    I got an IB 40 (atar 98.25) I was wondering how realistic it would be to get into bond university for medicine with this score?
    I see they advertise 97+ but i've heard that its not realistic to get in at this score, and was just wondering if this is truly the case.
    Thank-you

13. Crow

ATAR counts only to get to the psychometric testing stage. From there progression to interview depends 100% on psychometric testing performance, and place offers are made 100% off interview performance.

With an ATAR of 98.25 you should comfortably receive an invite to the psychometric testing.

14. Arbra5934

Arbra5934 New Member

Thank-you

Second Question,
    Can anyone recommend some resources to help prepare for the psychometric testing done by bond?
    Thank-you in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2019
  15. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    I don't believe there are any. And given the style of assessment, something that was useful for you, likely wouldn't be useful for someone else. The key is to be honest and don't overthink your responses. If you look in the Bond threads, there may be general posts about the assessment to give you a brief idea of what to expect.

16. Arbra5934

Arbra5934 New Member

Thank-you ill have a look in those threads

17. goodluck

goodluck New Member

Hope this doesn't breach the NDA, but how long is the Curtin interview? I'm guessing it's not that long (8 sessions of 6 minutes each, with 2 minutes reading time) since there were other bookings afterwards on the same day but could anyone give me a rough idea?

18. SACHIK

SACHIK New Member

So I've accepted medical science @ WSU (but haven't enrolled yet). I'm still holding out hope for a WSU med offer in the second round, so I've placed that as my first preference. Should I therefore remove medical science from my preferences, given that I've already accepted the offer? Or is it okay to just leave it there but at a lower preference?

19. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    You can move it to a lower preference. Though, presumably, it was always below WSU Medicine? As long as it is below, you’ll remain able to receive a Med offer if you’re eligible.

SACHIK likes this.
  20. Crow