Quick Questions Thread: 2018

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by LMG!, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer (UNDS MBBS) Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    As far as I know the UMAT cutoff is the same, it's that the ATAR requirement for GWS students is lower.

Edit: I stand corrected, see A1's post

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    Being GWS your ATAR is good for WSU, you can but won't need to use GPA.

S1+S2 cutoff for non-GWS was around 129-130, whereas iirc low 120s for GWS. Take a look of the collated data in LMG!'s post in the Interview forum.

3. tm2001

tm2001 New Member

Anyone have an idea of how long it would take to repay the fees for bond med. Was considering as an option as sourcing the funds needed for tuition fees isn't a problem (loan), but as you progress through as an intern, resident etc. how long would it take to pay it all back? Just want to get a realistic idea of how bad the damage would be :)

4. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

That would be dependent on your other ongoing costs (ie your living expenses, other debts etc) plus the rate of interest you are paying for the loan you take out. You can easily look up the rates of pay for each tier of junior doctor according to the state EBA, but this must be taken in context of your outgoing costs additional to the loan.

5. Moksha

Moksha New Member

Hey guys, I m planning to apply into australian graduate medical schools. My question was does any university require a CV or letter or interest that applicants needs to give in?

6. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    Are you a domestic applicant? I have no idea re. international applicant requirements, but if you’re domestic, some universities require an entire portfolio of personal responses (UND and Wollongong to start with).

The GEMSAS guide is likely to have the information you need.

GEMSAS | Graduate Entry Medicine

7. Cardiology

Cardiology New Member

New to the forum.

Any link to practice/previous MMI station questions for WSU and the JMP at Newcastle?

Thanks

8. Logic

Logic Guest

You won't find any exact questions for WSU or the JMP as applicants are made to sign a non disclosure agreement which prohibits them from releasing the contents of the interview.

LMG! and pi like this.
  9. j95m

j95m New Member

Hey guys,

The JMP says that you need to have completed one full year of university study by the end of 2018 to be considered. So my question is, do they count trimester 2 results as part of your GPA? Do they have access to your results for trimester 2 before interview invites etc... Has anyone every gained entry to the JMP after one year of study? Im currently doing a bachelor of science at UNE if that helps.

10. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    JMP do not have access to your full year of results prior to offering you an interview. Interview invites are based solely on UMAT performance. GPA is a hurdle that is ‘ticked off’ almost at the end and has, in the past, resulted in people being invited for interview who were then ineligible for a place offer regardless of their interview performance because of their GPA. It’s one of the vagaries of the JMP offer system but clearly one that doesn’t impact them too much as it’s been the same for a while.

And yes, people gain entry to JMP following one year of Uni study every year.

JMP Lova likes this.
  11. j95m

j95m New Member

Thank you so much, that has really cleared up my understanding. :)

12. mackenziejane20

mackenziejane20 New Member

I was wondering if I had a chance of getting into the JMP program with a gpa of 5.3/7, this is based of my 2017 marks and as I changed degree this year that I don’t particularly enjoy and was considering taking sem 2 off and using last year mark or is it worth sticking it out and using this year I’m sitting at 6/7 atm

13. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    Once you are above the hurdle (5.0 for an incomplete degree to be on the safe side) GPA doesn't matter much for JMP. It's then all on UMAT for interview selection and all on the interview for place offers. Best of luck with your UMAT test.

14. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    While your 5.3 will get you over the 5.0ish hurdle, there’s probably one more thing to consider re. having semester two off.

If you have no intention of finishing the degree you’ve switched into because you’re not enjoying it, then yep, you don’t really lose out and you in fact save yourself a semester of tuition fees. But, if you DO plan to finish the degree you’ve switched into if you don’t happen to get into Med next year (with a 5.3 GPA your eggs are pretty much all in one basket which, statistically, isn’t a great position to be in), then you may want to consider continuing on as you’ll just be putting yourself further behind*.

As with most ‘future-planning’ questions we get here, the advice is, do what you would do if you DIDN’T get into Med (statistically that being the most likely outcome), and if you do get into Med, then YAY!

*of course, this may not actually bother you, being a semester behind, in which case you could always gamble :D At best, you get into Med and save yourself some $$, at worst, you’re a semester behind where you could have been (and therefore a semester further away from being GAMSAT eligible).

Crow likes this.
  15. Kat92

Kat92 Student (BDemCare, BBeSt). Hopeful for JMP 2020

Volunteer St John Adv Responder/ Health Student.
    Unless it has changed incomplete studies can be used for JMP at UON. Not sure about UNE but I presume they would have a similiar entry method seeing as it is a joint program. You may have already seen this but anyway: Academic eligibility

16. Kat92

I remember emailing them about this and the reply was along the lines of:

If you are applying on the basis of a completed bachelor degree we require a GPA of 4.3. We do not assess the field of study as part of assessing academic eligibility.

Only one degree would be assessed for the purpose of determining academic eligibility. For an incomplete bachelor degree you need to have a GPA of 4.7 on the 7 point scale.

17. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    JMP is one application/entry method for both UNE and UoN. You effectively apply to the JMP and get allocated a campus based on your interview performance/preference* (if you get an offer). The entry methods aren’t “similar” because there is only one.

*if you’re lucky. This is not a guarantee. I listed UoN as my first preference and got an offer for UNE, for example.

Kat92 and Grant Hughes like this.
  18. Kat92

Thanks for clarifying that LMG. I was not sure if UNE had additional milestones that have to be met for entry in addition to the standard JMP ones! :)

19. j95m

j95m New Member

Does applying via the rural pathway to the JMP make you more likely to be placed in Armidale over Newcastle, if you were successful in your application?

20. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    I believe it shouldn't. That said, I know four successful JMP applicants personally (including me) and the three rural applicants got Armidale, the one non-rural applicant got Newcastle. All four preferenced Newcastle first.

Obviously that is just an anecdote that likely means nothing, but is interesting nonetheless! Might be best to look at collated entry data from last year to expand the sample.

Grant Hughes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.