Applying to:
Adelaide Uni
Rural Applicant: Yes
GWS Applicant:
no
Indigenous Applicant: no
Other:
Specific Question:
My ATAR was garbage by med standards but my GPA is mildly better and Ive lived as rural as you get for my whole life, and taking into account that Adelaide only weights the UCAT at 20%, what do y'all think my chances are for an interview? If I get to interview I'm so sure I can secure a spot but leaning hard on my intentions to go rural afterwards.

I don’t want to get your hopes up unnecessarily so please take this info only knowing we didn’t end up getting any follow up info from the applicants, but there were multiple reports of rural applicants getting UAdel interviews last year with UMAT %iles in the 20s and 30s. It was a marked change from previous years and we have no idea if it was an error or if there was some alteration in the rural/non-rural split, also we aren’t sure if this lowered requirement was also applicable to tertiary transfers.

In other words, definitely do an application, but maybe don’t hold your breath? Based on what you’ve said about your rural background, a JCU application would be a good idea!

apk22

Mod Note: Answered.

I’ve been very reluctant to post this for a little while but have finally decided to man up and do it haha.
Applying for: med
Application type: School leaver (gap year)
ATAR: 97.6
UCAT %ile: 76th
SJT: 542
State: Tas
Rural Applicant: Yes (RA3 I believe)
GWS/Indigenous: No
Other: N/A
Specific Question: What are my chances for literally any med school in Australia? I’m really hoping to be getting interviews for JMP, UNSW and Adelaide but literally anywhere would make me so happy. Also what are my chances for UTAS?

Last edited by a moderator:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I’ve been very reluctant to post this for a little while but have finally decided to man up and do it haha.
Applying for: med
Application type: School leaver (gap year)
ATAR: 97.6
UCAT %ile: 76th
SJT: 542
State: Tas
Rural Applicant: Yes (RA3 I believe)
GWS/Indigenous: No
Other: N/A
Specific Question: What are my chances for literally any med school in Australia? I’m really hoping to be getting interviews for JMP, UNSW and Adelaide but literally anywhere would make me so happy. Also what are my chances for UTAS?

You should get JMP and Adelaide interviews, and if your rural status is definitely RA3 (UNSW don't use RA but I think RA3 should convert okay) then UNSW is also a possibility (maybe at the Port Mac campus though). UTAS is harder to say (as usual) and this year they've scrapped the written application for rural entry so it's hard to say what the criteria will be for this pathway. Definitely apply though, there are people in my year with much lower combos than yours that were successful via rural entry (but also, to highlight the past importance on the no-longer existing written application, plenty who missed out with higher combos).

Of the ones you've not mentioned: you could also apply to JCU (emphasis on written application), WSU (lowest UMAT reported here last year was 65th%ile), UWA (lowest 2019 entry UMAT here: 66th%ile), and Curtin (no rural applicants reported here last year, but worth a shot).

apk22

You should get JMP and Adelaide interviews, and if your rural status is definitely RA3 (UNSW don't use RA but I think RA3 should convert okay) then UNSW is also a possibility (maybe at the Port Mac campus though). UTAS is harder to say (as usual) and this year they've scrapped the written application for rural entry so it's hard to say what the criteria will be for this pathway. Definitely apply though, there are people in my year with much lower combos than yours that were successful via rural entry (but also, to highlight the past importance on the no-longer existing written application, plenty who missed out with higher combos).

Of the ones you've not mentioned: you could also apply to JCU (emphasis on written application), WSU (lowest UMAT reported here last year was 65th%ile), UWA (lowest 2019 entry UMAT here: 66th%ile), and Curtin (no rural applicants reported here last year, but worth a shot).
Thank you!! Just a heads up on Curtin, I sent in my rural application and they replied stating that the rural application is exclusively for Western Australians so no other rural students can apply from interstate

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Thank you!! Just a heads up on Curtin, I sent in my rural application and they replied stating that the rural application is exclusively for Western Australians so no other rural students can apply from interstate
Seems like WA unis really favour their own EAS/rural students over interstate ones. UWA only has broadway as well.

MatCat

Applying for: Medicine and Dentistry
Application Type: School-leaver
Predicted ATAR: 98
UCAT Percentile Rank: 74%ile
VR: 550
DM: 620
QR: 730
AR: 750
Total: 2650
SJ: 613
Current State: VIC
Applying to: Every med/dent school
Rural Applicant: no
GWS Applicant: no
Other: Applying for SEAS and respectively for all the other states
Specific Question:
1. What are my chances for Med or Dent anywhere?
2. For what other states do I need to apply, for example SEAS for VTAC and EAS for UAC.
Thank you very much!

Hi, So I had a question regarding the percentiles and the likelihood of offers you guys are saying.

Lets assume there are 18k students sitting the exam, and universities like JMP only offer 750ish people interviews.

How is it then that when i view results of people getting say between 90-94th percentile, you are saying you will be getting an interview when realistically, the only people guaranteed an interview would be 96th%ile and above (top 720 people approx).

I'm just a bit confused by this (that's not even including rural bonuses scoring lower, aboriginal entry etc which would account for at least 50 or so positions you'd think).

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi, So I had a question regarding the percentiles and the likelihood of offers you guys are saying.

Lets assume there are 18k students sitting the exam, and universities like JMP only offer 750ish people interviews.

How is it then that when i view results of people getting say between 90-94th percentile, you are saying you will be getting an interview when realistically, the only people guaranteed an interview would be 96th%ile and above (top 720 people approx).

I'm just a bit confused by this (that's not even including rural bonuses scoring lower, aboriginal entry etc which would account for at least 50 or so positions you'd think).
We base our posts off of previous year’s data and the scores that have been required to gain people interviews in the past. You’re correct that only the top 750 UCAT sitters could be guaranteed a JMP interview - but this assumes that every single person of those 750 applies to the JMP, which isn’t true. Some are interstate and are unwilling to move, some don’t apply because they won’t meet the ATAR hurdle, some are applying to dentistry but not medicine, etc.

Our predictions are a guide only, but they aren’t made blindly - they’re data-based and generally speaking we do pretty damn well with our predictions in comparison with the actual outcomes of our applicants.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

D

Deleted member 37402

We base our posts off of previous year’s data and the scores that have been required to gain people interviews in the past. You’re correct that only the top 750 UCAT sitters could be guaranteed a JMP interview - but this assumes that every single person of those 750 applies to the JMP, which isn’t true. Some are interstate and are unwilling to move, some don’t apply because they won’t meet the ATAR hurdle, some are applying to dentistry but not medicine, etc.

Our predictions are a guide only, but they aren’t made blindly - they’re data-based and generally speaking we do pretty damn well with our predictions in comparison with the actual outcomes of our applicants.
Hello, Could you please comment on an applicant who scored in the 40% percentile UCAT, a rural applicant and a predicted ATAR of 95 for JMP? Scored better in subset 1 compared to the other subsets which if (hope I'm not having a Senior's moment) doesn't matter, they look at everything anyway. Thank you.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hello, Could you please comment on an applicant who scored in the 40% percentile UCAT, a rural applicant and a predicted ATAR of 95 for JMP? Scored better in subset 1 compared to the other subsets which if (hope I'm not having a Senior's moment) doesn't matter, they look at everything anyway. Thank you.

JMP has historically required a UMAT of 50th%ile for rural applicants to be eligible for an interview (and even this 50th%ile had to be achieved in a very specific way - subsection scores of 50/50/50 minimum). As they will no longer be using a 50/50/50 cut-off, people who would in the past not have been eligible (ie. due to subsection scores such as 49/51/50 or, indeed, even something much higher like 49/70/65) will now be eligible. SO... assuming JMP still only interview the same amount of people, the required percentile rank is very likely to increase slightly.

I very much doubt a 40th%ile will be adequate for a JMP interview. This has historically NEVER been the case, and it's even less likely now.

MeAw

Mod Note: Answered for both.

Applying for:
Medicine and Dentistry
Application Type: Non-standard
GPA: 6.25
UCAT Percentile Rank:
86%ile
VR: 600
DM: 680
QR: 700
AR: 800
Total: 2780
SJ: 627
Current State: NSW
Applying to: every med/dent school I can
GWS Applicant: YES
Other: None
Specific Question:
1. What're my chances for Med at WSU and JMP? Which should I put higher in preference order?
2. What other options can i apply to for med/dent besides wsu,jmp,jcu,bond - (med) and dent is ??

Cal

vibe
Applying for: Medicine and Dentistry
UCAT Percentile Rank:
86%ile
Specific Question:
1. What're my chances for Med at WSU and JMP? Which should I put higher in preference order?
2. What other options can i apply to for med/dent besides wsu,jmp,jcu,bond - (med) and dent is ??
University of Adelaide for dent had a ucat cut off of 83rd percentile for interview last year and If you can get your gpa to a 6.5 or above you are in for an outside chance for a UQ dent spot, also worth a csu dent application because you are already doing a uac application I Imagine, but would be an outside chance for a fill up interview there.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Mode note: Answered for both.

Applying for:
Medicine and Dentistry
UCAT Percentile Rank:
86%ile
Specific Question:

You should get a JMP interview. I'm not sure about WSU, though your GWS status will certainly help. Just preference the two in the order in which you'd prefer to receive them, imo, especially at this stage. You can consider preferencing once you've received interviews and know whether you even have anything to preference.

Curtin is your only other Med option, and only if your 6.25 is from a completed degree.

tommy987

Mod Note: Answered

Applying for:Medicine
Application Type: School leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 98-99
UCAT Percentile Rank: 85
VR: 610
DM: 690
QR: 760
AR:700
Total: 2760
SJ: 600
Current State:
Applying to:
All but USYD and Monash
Rural Applicant: No
GWS Applicant: No
Indigenous Applicant: No
Other:
Specific Question: What should I bother applying for, and do I have a chance of getting in? Thanks

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Application Type: School leaver
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 98-99
UCAT Percentile Rank: 85
VR: 610
DM: 690
QR: 760
AR:700
Total: 2760
SJ: 600
Current State:
Applying to:
All but USYD and Monash
Other:
Specific Question: What should I bother applying for, and do I have a chance of getting in? Thanks

Your best bet is probably JMP. Others that I’m less convinced on include UAdel, Curtin, UWA (if you get 99.00+), and JCU.

Very unlikely - impossible include: UNSW, UTAS (though it’s a free application so you may as well), Monash, WSU, Flinders, UQ, and Griffith.

ETA: your chance of “getting in” will depend whether/where you get interviews. JMP is about 25% offer chance, and that’s the one I’m most convinced you could receive.

REGULAR JOE

Application Type: School leaver(domestic student with cambridge a levels)
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.95 for monash, curtin, utas,uwa, and 99.45 elsewhere.
UCAT Percentile Rank: 86
SJ: 530
Current State:
None
Applying to: All
Other:
Specific Question: What are my chances for any med school? I have asked this before but an estimated % chance for each uni would be great! Thanks.

yop234

Hi! Was wondering what kind of ATAR I would need to achieve for any chance of an interview at Monash with a 99 %tile as an interstate school-leaver? (and in addition to that, if you have enough data, if you could say what ATAR allows me to have an average interview and still get an offer?) Thank you so much!

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Hi! Was wondering what kind of ATAR I would need to achieve for any chance of an interview at Monash with a 99 %tile as an interstate school-leaver? (and in addition to that, if you have enough data, if you could say what ATAR allows me to have an average interview and still get an offer?) Thank you so much!
A friend of mine (SA) scored an interview with 98.8 (IB41) and 99%ile UMAT (absolutely no bonus points/adjustments - I made doubly sure to confirm this time ;)). I think that's about as low you can go to be honest.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Application Type: School leaver(domestic student with cambridge a levels)
Predicted ATAR/GPA: 99.95 for monash, curtin, utas,uwa, and 99.45 elsewhere.
UCAT Percentile Rank: 86
SJ: 530
Current State:
None
Applying to: All
Other:
Specific Question: What are my chances for any med school? I have asked this before but an estimated % chance for each uni would be great! Thanks.
Super solid chances at uwa and Curtin. If you notice at uwa's website, no other course except for csp direct entry med had a max of 99.95 if I remember correctly. That implies that pretty much every person that got a 99.95 got into medicine. I very much doubt that you won't be able to get an interview at either uni even though they weight ucat very heavily for interview offers.
Monash you haven't got much of a chance. They historically have had interview cutoffs at 91%ile with a 99.95 atar so you won't be able to get an interview. UTAS is a probably, but I won't bank on it because they've changed up the selection criteria quite recently. Your best bet rn is UWA or Curtin imo, the 99.45 is not very favourable for any other uni with your ucat score (maybe JMP or WSU? Uq and Griffith and UNSW are out of the question - might want to try giving JCU a shot.)
On another note wasn't it you that was eligible for a 99.95 provisional at usyd? That would be very favourable for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.