Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

University of Melbourne Guaranteed Pathway- Medicine

lumos

Fair enough, this UMAT is very unusual, I keep contacting ACER and they will not explain to me their scoring methodologies. I understand I need to get as many questions correct but the lack of material provided is very frustrating. I presume you must have done excellent in your UMAT given you are in Monash MBBS, what would you recommend in terms of preparation, please feel free to message me.

Don't worry about all that. Don't even bother trying to work out their scoring system; it's not worth it. They're never going to reveal it, so forget about it. What you need to understand about the UMAT is that it's not impossible to do well if you know how to prepare for it. Yes it's a weird test but there's not necessarily a 'lack of material' or anything. The point of the UMAT, in ACER's view, is that certain students should be able to just do the test, without much prep, and ace it because they have the 'qualities' that are being assessed. This is bull****, if you ask me. You can prepare for it if you know how, and if you want me to pm you with a bit of info I'd be happy to.

I was pretty sure that Melbourne uses the UMAT for their guaranteed entry, but the fact still remains that I'm not sure you realise just how intense the competition is for a FFP. And I'm STILL not sure that they'd let you do mid-year applications for an FFP since the 30 places (yes, 30, which is not many), would have already been selected. As has been said, the clearly-in for biomed alone was 99. And most of those kids would want to do medicine, and would have applied for the pathway. So I'd be surprised if anyone would get in with an ATAR below 99.8-ish. And again, don't assume that you're automatically going to do well in an interview. They're lying if they're telling you it's just a routine thing to see if you can talk properly.

But I feel like I'm repeating myself a million times.. I've said my point over and over, so take it or leave it, but I still don't think it's worth it to go for Melbourne. Just forget about it and move on to other options.

...Also, one last thing about the FFP. This sh*t is EXPENSIVE. So think about whether you'd be happy to shell out nearly a quarter of a million dollars just to bypass the GAMSAT...

dsmalik

Don't worry about all that. Don't even bother trying to work out their scoring system; it's not worth it. They're never going to reveal it, so forget about it. What you need to understand about the UMAT is that it's not impossible to do well if you know how to prepare for it. Yes it's a weird test but there's not necessarily a 'lack of material' or anything. The point of the UMAT, in ACER's view, is that certain students should be able to just do the test, without much prep, and ace it because they have the 'qualities' that are being assessed. This is bull****, if you ask me. You can prepare for it if you know how, and if you want me to pm you with a bit of info I'd be happy to.

I was pretty sure that Melbourne uses the UMAT for their guaranteed entry, but the fact still remains that I'm not sure you realise just how intense the competition is for a FFP. And I'm STILL not sure that they'd let you do mid-year applications for an FFP since the 30 places (yes, 30, which is not many), would have already been selected. As has been said, the clearly-in for biomed alone was 99. And most of those kids would want to do medicine, and would have applied for the pathway. So I'd be surprised if anyone would get in with an ATAR below 99.8-ish. And again, don't assume that you're automatically going to do well in an interview. They're lying if they're telling you it's just a routine thing to see if you can talk properly.

But I feel like I'm repeating myself a million times.. I've said my point over and over, so take it or leave it, but I still don't think it's worth it to go for Melbourne. Just forget about it and move on to other options.

...Also, one last thing about the FFP. This sh*t is EXPENSIVE. So think about whether you'd be happy to shell out nearly a quarter of a million dollars just to bypass the GAMSAT...

For the FFP place, the interviews are done AFTER the undergraduate degree. The individual I was speaking to in the Faculty of Medicine stated that I should still sit GAMSAT and try my best in order to get a CSP. He said that the Guaranteed spot is more like an insurance just in case you didn't perform in the GAMSAT and/or interview.

Considering I get the minimum of 75%+ that's 6.5 GPA which is 0.1 lower than the cut off for most post graduate medicine courses (assuming a GAMSAT score of 65, not sure what that is ) therefore I'll try to go for the CSP place. I only get one interview and for example in order to be competitive for a place in Melbourne Doctor of Medicine I needed a score of for example of 35/40 and the interviews placed a pass mark of 26/40.

If I did good in GAMSAT and get 35+ for interview, I will likely get the CSP place.

If I did badly in my GAMSAT and/or didn't perform that well in the interview but still PASSED, I get the FFP place instead.

Therefore the guarantee isn't really a guarantee but it acts as a back up just in case things don't go right. The guarantee lasts for 18 months so I get another attempt regardless just in case I don't get accepted. Still, I've seen the extent that people go through to get to their dreams, I'm willing to do the same if I can get into the Doctor of Medicine. Still, it's a 5050 decision between this and UWA as I'm still at home.

EDIT: There are 40 FFP places.

I don't want to make a decision I will later regret for example if I were to stay in UWA and I did badly in GAMSAT, I might've been in Medical school in the end? So I want to best decision for myself.

Kind Regards,

-DSMalik

Last edited:

Boom

For the FFP place, the interviews are done AFTER the undergraduate degree. The individual I was speaking to in the Faculty of Medicine stated that I should still sit GAMSAT and try my best in order to get a CSP. He said that the Guaranteed spot is more like an insurance just in case you didn't perform in the GAMSAT and/or interview.

Considering I get the minimum of 75%+ that's 6.5 GPA which is 0.1 lower than the cut off for most post graduate medicine courses (assuming a GAMSAT score of 65, not sure what that is ) therefore I'll try to go for the CSP place. I only get one interview and for example in order to be competitive for a place in Melbourne Doctor of Medicine I needed a score of for example of 35/40 and the interviews placed a pass mark of 26/40.

If I did good in GAMSAT and get 35+ for interview, I will likely get the CSP place.

If I did badly in my GAMSAT and/or didn't perform that well in the interview but still PASSED, I get the FFP place instead.

Therefore the guarantee isn't really a guarantee but it acts as a back up just in case things don't go right. The guarantee lasts for 18 months so I get another attempt regardless just in case I don't get accepted. Still, I've seen the extent that people go through to get to their dreams, I'm willing to do the same if I can get into the Doctor of Medicine. Still, it's a 5050 decision between this and UWA as I'm still at home.

I don't want to make a decision I will later regret for example if I were to stay in UWA and I did badly in GAMSAT, I might've been in Medical school in the end? So I want to best decision for myself.

Kind Regards,

-DSMalik

After reading I still suggest that you go to Melbourne and have a shot at the FFP place, otherwise in the end if you really fail to get into any medical course, you would regret not going to Melbourne now. If there is a chance to skip the GAMSAT, do it, and while as you said the guarantee is not really a guarantee, it does lower the requirements, i.e. you only need a pass in the interview and you can get a slightly lower GPA than other competitive applicants. I would go for it if I were you~

lumos

I disagree with the above, but I've stated my opinion, and I'm kind of done now.... I still say the FFP is not worth it. If cost is at all an issue, then the $200000 for this place is going to be a massive problem.

saba5678

Hi, as a school leaver, how am I meant to apply for this program? I've put biomedicine in my preferences for vtac, is there anything else? Also, I've heard you can complete the mmi before you finish undergrad, so how do I arrange that?

edit: i just saw this
1605326506670.png
I am on a gap year (completed year 12 in 2019), so does that make me ineligible entirely? :(

Last edited:
N

nb

Hi, as a school leaver, how am I meant to apply for this program? I've put biomedicine in my preferences for vtac, is there anything else? Also, I've heard you can complete the mmi before you finish undergrad, so how do I arrange that?

edit: i just saw this
View attachment 4153
I am on a gap year (completed year 12 in 2019), so does that make me ineligible entirely? :(
The fact that they said "immediately after year 12", I would say yes you are not eligible anymore. I would email them to confirm though!

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast

A1

Rookie Doc
Is a New Zealand citizen who studied in NZ eligible to get Chancellor's scholarship?
I don't think so (sorry dotwingz). NZ students must have completed Y12 or IB in Australia.

> Melbourne Chancellors Scholarship (domestic students)

"Eligibility
To be eligible for this scholarship, you need to:

• either:
    • be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen, and have completed an Australian Year 12 or the International Baccalaureate in Australia, or
    • be an Australian citizen and have completed an Australian Year 12 or the International Baccalaureate outside Australia."

SRRPS

Hi,
I have gotten a 99.95 ATAR and have been offered the chancellors scholarship from university of melbourne. I am keen to pursue the Doctor of Medicine course at uniMelb by doing the 3 year bio medicine course. Per their website, it says I need to give a MMI during the 3rd year of the bio medicine course. Does anybody know whether the MMI is just a formality to get into the guaranteed MD program?

Nonstandard983

UoN JMP II
MSOer of the Year 2021
Hi,
I have gotten a 99.95 ATAR and have been offered the chancellors scholarship from university of melbourne. I am keen to pursue the Doctor of Medicine course at uniMelb by doing the 3 year bio medicine course. Per their website, it says I need to give a MMI during the 3rd year of the bio medicine course. Does anybody know whether the MMI is just a formality to get into the guaranteed MD program?
For the chancellors scholarship the MMI is a threshold designed to weed out applicants with no interpersonal skills this is taken directly from Uni Melbs website.

Applicants eligible for guaranteed entry will not be required to complete the Graduate Australian Medical School Admission Test (GAMSAT).

Applicants interested in studying the Doctor of Medicine (MD) must pass an interview to be eligible for the guaranteed entry pathway. The interview is a threshold process designed to ensure that students who apply for the MD have adequate interpersonal and communication skills to successfully complete the course.

SRRPS

For the chancellors scholarship the MMI is a threshold designed to weed out applicants with no interpersonal skills this is taken directly from Uni Melbs website.

Applicants eligible for guaranteed entry will not be required to complete the Graduate Australian Medical School Admission Test (GAMSAT).

Applicants interested in studying the Doctor of Medicine (MD) must pass an interview to be eligible for the guaranteed entry pathway. The interview is a threshold process designed to ensure that students who apply for the MD have adequate interpersonal and communication skills to successfully complete the course.
Thanks for this. Between JCU medicine and Melbourne's MD program (via guaranteed pathway), what would be ideal to choose?

Nonstandard983

UoN JMP II
MSOer of the Year 2021
Thanks for this. Between JCU medicine and Melbourne's MD program (via guaranteed pathway), what would be ideal to choose?
Mate this is a very very hard question to answer, it depends almost entirely on your own personal situation. The main factor I’d consider at your age is where is your family located if it’s in Victoria I would select Monash as while there is a MMI threshold this is likely low to ensure you have adequate interpersonal skills (with abit of life experience, joining clubs at the uni and volunteering this should be a breeze try open your mind and try see the world through others eyes) and if you lack the skills to get through the MMI you would likely struggle with practicing medicine in a real life situation.

If your family live in Queensland I’d say go to JCU the most important thing is likely your support network but you have to ask yourself what’s important to yourself maybe for you a support network isn’t as important as living in Melbourne.

I recommend you make a pros and cons list and consult some trusted mentors/family members/friends to help you with this decision. Goodluck in the future and with your decision

Last edited: