Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UTAS UTAS Medicine: General Discussion

Just an FYI that I’m older than you and got Dec 6th offer to start this year, so don’t discount yourself on that basis :D

If you’re talking about 2017 entry, then yep, two indigenous pathway students. But the total is 100 domestic, 20 international.

For 2018, there was one student from the indigenous pathway (but other indigenous students who went the UMAT route - which may also have been the case in 2017). Total this year is 99 domestic, 20 international.
Any particular reason for the 99 domestic this year rather than the 100 of last year?

Any particular reason for the 99 domestic this year rather than the 100 of last year?

There would be one, but I don’t know what it is. There were quite a few withdrawals in the early weeks, so possibly a result of that.

ETA: Exam list just released: we are down to 116 (so possibly as low as 96 domestic, but all due to withdrawals)

Last edited:
Would I be correct in saying last year first round offers started early December, and has been around this time of year for the few years before?

Could even be waiting until the start of the semester. Some people will get offers and knock them back last minute etc. That's what happened to my sis in law.

I just finished my semester and have until Jan 1st off. I am already bored, makes the wait worse haha.

Meanwhile, nursing offers have already started. Lol.

Could even be waiting until the start of the semester. Some people will get offers and knock them back last minute etc. That's what happened to my sis in law.

I just finished my semester and have until Jan 1st off. I am already bored, makes the wait worse haha.

Meanwhile, nursing offers have already started. Lol.

One or two people might get top up offers when semester starts. Definitely not something to plan your year around or wait expectantly for, unfortunately.

And yes, lots of offers, not just nursing, have already started. That’s pretty standard around the country. Have you applied for nursing/received an offer?

One or two people might get top up offers when semester starts. Definitely not something to plan your year around or wait expectantly for, unfortunately.

And yes, lots of offers, not just nursing, have already started. That’s pretty standard around the country. Have you applied for nursing/received an offer?

Nah, no nursing for me! Tried that in 2010 haha. I know because I'm in a Facebook group for my current degree and most are applying for nursing :) No substantial offers yet, unfortunately. I think what's next in the process for medicine would be a panel interview. Fingers crossed I get to that stage.

Nah, no nursing for me! Tried that in 2010 haha. I know because I'm in a Facebook group for my current degree and most are applying for nursing :) No substantial offers yet, unfortunately. I think what's next in the process for medicine would be a panel interview. Fingers crossed I get to that stage.

When do panel interviews for the indigenous pathway get announced? There's at least one person in my year who was offered a place via this route, so good luck!

Also, do you know for sure it's a panel interview? The guide makes it seem like just one person interviews you, but that could be the wording.

When do panel interviews for the indigenous pathway get announced? There's at least one person in my year who was offered a place via this route, so good luck!

Also, do you know for sure it's a panel interview? The guide makes it seem like just one person interviews you, but that could be the wording.

"Interview with representative of the University Admissions Committee" You're right! The way it was described to me was an interview with a panel but maybe I misunderstood. That's alright then, less scary-job-"interviewy".

I'm not sure when. I wish I knew! I'd love to hear all about your first-year experiences, have you written about it anywhere?

"Interview with representative of the University Admissions Committee" You're right! The way it was described to me was an interview with a panel but maybe I misunderstood. That's alright then, less scary-job-"interviewy".

I'm not sure when. I wish I knew! I'd love to hear all about your first-year experiences, have you written about it anywhere?

I haven't, yet (really - I think there's a small post, I'll find it and link it), but I want to. BUT... exams first! I'm excellent at procrastination, but even I think it would be pretty silly to write about first year instead of studying first year and then... having to do first year all over again :D

ETA: I've made two brief posts here Pre-Clinical - How was your first day?.

I haven't, yet (really - I think there's a small post, I'll find it and link it), but I want to. BUT... exams first! I'm excellent at procrastination, but even I think it would be pretty silly to write about first year instead of studying first year and then... having to do first year all over again :D

Oh of course! Best of luck on those exams! I'm sure you'll crush it. I'm a big procrastinator too :x I'm hoping studying something I'm actually passionate about will change it, but I doubt it. Hahaha.

Oh of course! Best of luck on those exams! I'm sure you'll crush it. I'm a big procrastinator too :x I'm hoping studying something I'm actually passionate about will change it, but I doubt it. Hahaha.

My last exam is Nov 5th, so I'll be no doubt put something together about first year some time after that. As for procrastination: I'm definitely better than I was for my previous degrees, but I'm still pretty bad! Haha!

(Hi, MSO ;) )

My last exam is Nov 5th, so I'll be no doubt put something together about first year some time after that. As for procrastination: I'm definitely better than I was for my previous degrees, but I'm still pretty bad! Haha!

(Hi, MSO ;) )

I look forward to it :)

Might be a bit of a silly question - but will rejecting my medical research offer impact my chances of receiving a MBBS offer?

Also, do offers for the medical research guaranteed entry pathway go out at around the same time as rural places?

Might be a bit of a silly question - but will rejecting my medical research offer impact my chances of receiving a MBBS offer?

Also, do offers for the medical research guaranteed entry pathway go out at around the same time as rural places?

No, it won’t impact your chances. And no, the guaranteed entry offers are not made until January and February. Rural offers are (typically) made in early December.

Thank you! Very odd time also - Friday night?? Happy nonetheless! Definitely wasn't expecting it this early.

Back