Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JCU JCU Medicine: Interview Discussion

Hey guys, I was just wondering what I should wear to the JCU interview as a male?

Townsville is hot. Do not wear a suit.

Standard male dress is fairly straight-forward: dark slacks and a well ironed button up long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up will be just fine. If you feel you want to be more formal then you can wear a tie or keep the sleeves down but honestly, Townsville is HOT this time of year & you will be a sweaty mess. You probably would be pushing it if you wear a pair of chinos and a button up, but honestly that's what 95% of the male doctors in Townsville wear so it's probably fine.

Anyone in JCU med currently, are there many non-rural, interstate students with a 98 atar? Been offered an interview but not confident my atar will be good enough when it comes down to final rankings and being offered a place

In my year, there are actually quite a few current students that are non-rural and who received an OP 2. In fact I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head. An ATAR of 98 is perfectly acceptable and should not be detrimental :)

For anyone in jcu med, how long are we expected to talk for for the debating topic? Thanks!
I’m not in JCU med but I interviewed there last year - I was asked a fair number of follow up questions about the topic and would estimate that we discussed it for maybe 8-10 minutes?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if JCU will send out any second round interviews.

There was something wrong with my QTAC and they were delayed in assessing my prerequisite in Chemistry. I was wondering there is still chance.

Thank you :)

Hey guys,

There was something wrong with my QTAC and they were delayed in assessing my prerequisite in Chemistry. I was wondering there is still chance.

Yes, there is a second round of interview invites that are sent out. I can't remember the actual date, but the interviews themselves are in Jan, 2019. Good luck!

I'm currently flying back from Namibia so have got (very) sparse internet.

I have a few PM's from people who shared their interview experiences last year with me.

I will update it in the next 48 hours - on a plane for the next 16 and then back at work shortly after so won't be able to get to it until then. I will post in this thread & update the first post as well.

Hi Ben,
I'm very new Here. I've received Interview invitation from JCU. Went through your thread starting from 2010. Very informative and valuable. Could you kindly send me or give me a link to the latest interview tips and questions that you received from last years interviewees, please.
Heaps of thanks in advance.

Hi Ben,
I'm very new Here. I've received Interview invitation from JCU. Went through your thread starting from 2010. Very informative and valuable. Could you kindly send me or give me a link to the latest interview tips and questions that you received from last years interviewees, please.
Heaps of thanks in advance.
Hi SeaBoy, if you look at the bottom of the first post on this very thread, you’ll see Ben and I have added questions from 2017 (the most recent set of interviews). :)

Hey guys,

Dec 28th 2nd round offered.

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knew whether the interviewers have read our applications. Im pretty happy with the examples I gave for questions like why med at jcu etc, and was wondering if its a good idea to use what I wrote in my application in the interview.

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knew whether the interviewers have read our applications. Im pretty happy with the examples I gave for questions like why med at jcu etc, and was wondering if its a good idea to use what I wrote in my application in the interview.
No, they won’t know anything about you other than your name.

Hi guys I was just wondering if anyone knows how JCU marks the interviews. Do they mark each question individually or do they mark the interview as a whole?

Hi guys I was just wondering if anyone knows how JCU marks the interviews. Do they mark each question individually or do they mark the interview as a whole?
Nobody will be able to share the intricate details of the marking process with you, but we do know (thanks Ben) that at the completion of the interview you’ll be given a “rurality score” which is basically a score for “how likely is this person to go rural after they graduate?” - this is combined with your RA1-5 rank and is used in the formula to calculate place offers: rurality x ATAR + interview score. As for the interview itself, certainly they would mark each individual question rather a final “on the whole mark” by itself as this would make the marking a lot less subjective and thus more consistent between interviewees - in the interview you’ll notice at least one person will always be scribbling down notes as you are talking.

Im from SYdney and i got an interview on the 30th, i was just wondering what would happen if i wasnt able to get up to townsville as there is expected to be heavy rain in sydney and bushfires in QLD, so what happens if my flights get cancelled and other things that will be out of my control. Will JCU consider this at all?

Im from SYdney and i got an interview on the 30th, i was just wondering what would happen if i wasnt able to get up to townsville as there is expected to be heavy rain in sydney and bushfires in QLD, so what happens if my flights get cancelled and other things that will be out of my control. Will JCU consider this at all?
just replying as im in the same position as you. i'm thinking of calling tomorrow and checking with them so ill let you know what they say if i do

Back