Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

English requirement for year12 international students

hr0184

Lurker
I'm an international student sitting HSC this year and hoping to study medicine at Western Sydney or UNSW in 2021.
I have contacted the UWS and UNSW international admissions centre regarding English requirements last year and they said I didn't need to take IELTS
because I can satisfy them through my HSC studies (I'm doing EAL/D) +I've been here for 3 years

But, in the Western Sydney website
(https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/__...910_English_Language_Entry_Table_2019_v03.pdf) - updated 2018
"Prior studies in English WITHIN Australia" is not equivalent to IELTS 7.0 which is actually required for medicine course.
Also I've heard from someone I might get a "conditional" offer because I don't have the English test scores.

I wonder if I can still apply through UAC without IELTS score on September because I don't think I can sit English test during my HSC studies

"Prior studies in English WITHIN Australia" is not equivalent to IELTS 7.0 which is actually required for medicine course.

I could not find this^ in the document you linked but this clause near the top should be clear :

NOTE: You do not have to provide proof of proficiency in English .... if you were not born in one of the listed countries BUT you have completed senior secondary study in one of these countries AND the language in which you undertook this qualification was English.

Hi, I'm currently in grade 12, studying QCE onshore in Australia as an international student. I'm planning to apply for undergrad medicine 2023 entry as an international student. If I'm currently doing the General English as a subject and pass for the year, does this meet the english requirement criteria for all of the undergrad medicine uni? Or should I take IELTS?

Hi, I'm currently in grade 12, studying QCE onshore in Australia as an international student. I'm planning to apply for undergrad medicine 2023 entry as an international student. If I'm currently doing the General English as a subject and pass for the year, does this meet the english requirement criteria for all of the undergrad medicine uni? Or should I take IELTS?
There are two slightly different requirements:
- All unis require international sudents to meet a minimum English standard. However your doing Y12 in Australia satisfies this requirement.
- The other is English prereq for medicine which even Aus-born students need to meet. You're okay for USyd, UMelb, Adelaide, Flinders, UNSW, JMP, JPM since these don't have this prereq. The rest do.

I think the English prereq is a level higher than General English for int'l students, but I'm not sure. Best you contact QTAC (Qld), VTAC (Vic), UTas, TISC (WA) to ask them directly. Good luck.

Hey! I did year 11 and year 12 in NSW as an international and applied for UNSW and WSU med. As far as I know, UNSW doesn’t require IELTS and finishing the HSC was sufficient to meet their English language requirement regardless of what level of English you did. I did and passed English Advanced for my HSC, not really sure how this translates to in terms of QCE but I imagine it’s equivalent to General English? WSU however still required me to sit the IELTS (minimum 7.0 in all sections) as they required either 6 years of schooling in Australia (I only did 2 years) or an English language proficiency test (IELTS, PTE, TOEFL,..). I suppose if you did all of high school in Australia it should be alright for most med schools and you probably wouldn’t have to sit the IELTS. But then again, it’s best to check with the uni admissions team directly. Hope this helps!

Hey! I did year 11 and year 12 in NSW as an international and applied for UNSW and WSU med. As far as I know, UNSW doesn’t require IELTS and finishing the HSC was sufficient to meet their English language requirement regardless of what level of English you did. I did and passed English Advanced for my HSC, not really sure how this translates to in terms of QCE but I imagine it’s equivalent to General English? WSU however still required me to sit the IELTS (minimum 7.0 in all sections) as they required either 6 years of schooling in Australia (I only did 2 years) or an English language proficiency test (IELTS, PTE, TOEFL,..). I suppose if you did all of high school in Australia it should be alright for most med schools and you probably wouldn’t have to sit the IELTS. But then again, it’s best to check with the uni admissions team directly. Hope this helps!
Heyy, may I ask what were your stats? (IELTS, ISAT UCAT etc) and about what time during the year did you hear about interview invites etc? Thank you!

Hey, I'm an international student thinking to apply for Australian Uni med. I'm currently studying in NZ with NCEA and have been living here for 7 years. I have done the IELTS which was pretty lower that what I have expected but it meets the requirement for UNSW and Monash. Since I'm going to complete my secondary education in NZ, would the universities accept the NCEA english for the English requirement? (btw english isn't my first language)

Hey, I'm an international student thinking to apply for Australian Uni med. I'm currently studying in NZ with NCEA and have been living here for 7 years. I have done the IELTS which was pretty lower that what I have expected but it meets the requirement for UNSW and Monash. Since I'm going to complete my secondary education in NZ, would the universities accept the NCEA english for the English requirement? (btw english isn't my first language)
It depends on your overall score (good if above 7) I think. But since you will get an ATAR anyways (UAC probably convert scores) I don't think you should worry to much and 7 years is defo enough to satisfy requirements.

It depends on your overall score (good if above 7) I think. But since you will get an ATAR anyways (UAC probably convert scores) I don't think you should worry to much and 7 years is defo enough to satisfy requirements.
Thanks, that's a relief

Just a heads up that Victoria (Monash/UMelb) unis require a certain number of credits in level 3 Eng

Back