Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Medicine: Medical Science/MD Provisional Entry Q&A

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
wait.. 1st yr orientation is from 20th of January 2020?? Shouldnt it be 20th of February?

No, 20th January orientation is for the MD. You have to remember that Griffith accepts 200 med students each year into its 4 year MD pathway. Those that enter via the 6 year pathway are a minority. In the 6 year pathway, you complete a 2 year Bachelor of Medical Science before starting the MD. Your orientation will be for the Bachelor of Medical Science and not for the MD. You are correct about February however, med sci orientation is in February.

REGULAR JOE

If for some reason I end up getting a gpa less than 5 due to me flunking exams, or getting sick during exams,etc, what would happen? Would I be allowed to repeat that exam, or repeat the entire year, or will I be booted from the course? Also I saw that apart from the gpa, you should pass the human skills for medicine course. I'm normally a very quiet person and if I fail it, am I allowed to repeat it?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
If for some reason I end up getting a gpa less than 5 due to me flunking exams, or getting sick during exams,etc, what would happen? Would I be allowed to repeat that exam, or repeat the entire year, or will I be booted from the course? Also I saw that apart from the gpa, you should pass the human skills for medicine course. I'm normally a very quiet person and if I fail it, am I allowed to repeat it?
If you finish with less than a 5 then you’ll graduate with a bachelor of medical science and will not be allowed to progress to the MD. You can’t repeat those subjects again.

I’m unsure about the human skills subject question - nobody in medical science has ever failed and to be brutally honest I feel the standards must be very low for everyone who has ever taken the subject to have passed; so I wouldn’t stress about that.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I

If you graduate the degree with a GPA of less than 5, you will be awarded the bachelor of medical science but will not gain seamless entry into the MD. If you get a GPA of 4/5 for a single course then that's not going to affect anything as long as your overall GPA is above 5. There's no need for concern because the courses aren't all that difficult, it's just a very heavy workload to get high distinctions across the board.

Very few people fail the Human Skills for Medicine Course, last year the stats were estimated to be <5 fails (not from medical science, but from other degrees that also take the course) which were then given supplementary exams to resit, and nearly all passed after the supplementary.

REGULAR JOE

If you graduate the degree with a GPA of less than 5, you will be awarded the bachelor of medical science but will not gain seamless entry into the MD. If you get a GPA of 4/5 for a single course then that's not going to affect anything as long as your overall GPA is above 5. There's no need for concern because the courses aren't all that difficult, it's just a very heavy workload to get high distinctions across the board.

Very few people fail the Human Skills for Medicine Course, last year the stats were estimated to be <5 fails (not from medical science, but from other degrees that also take the course) which were then given supplementary exams to resit, and nearly all passed after the supplementary.
Thank you for your replies, both Crow and Lyyrre. What if you become unable to sit the Human Skills exam(or even another exam causing gpa to fall below 0) due to being sick? Will they allow me to sit the exam again?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thank you for your replies, both Crow and Lyyrre. What if you become unable to sit the Human Skills exam(or even another exam causing gpa to fall below 0) due to being sick? Will they allow me to sit the exam again?
You’re allowed to defer exams due to illness or other circumstances - essentially there are usually two sittings of any written exam for students, so long as you provide a valid reason for deferral - I haven’t heard of anyone’s deferral being rejected.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

I feel like you’re perhaps starting to panic about what ifs and that’s a never-ending slippery slope!

REGULAR JOE

I feel like you’re perhaps starting to panic about what ifs and that’s a never-ending slippery slope!
Yep I think you're right! I have a sort of obsessive compulsive thing and it's really kicking in now! I might try to start going to counselling at Uni to try to control it.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Yes, the hypotheticals you’ve listed above apply to literally every uni student, so you’re certainly not alone there but also it’s not something that should be at the top of your list of concerns.

Hi guys!
I'm really confused if I am applying in to the correct course? My knowledge is that in Griffith med, students complete 2 yrs of bachelor of med sci and enter doctor of med (GPA 5+) but there is no mention of doctor of medicine in the course name of my application...
1596813806125.png

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Yep those are the right ones. The provisional is the med sci degree

From the Griffith Website
Completion of the Bachelor of Medical Science program with a GPA (calculated according to Graduate Medical Admissions Centre procedures) of at least 5.0 and a minimum grade of Pass in the designated course Human Skills for Medicine will see graduates gain seamless entry into the Doctor of Medicine (5099).

Also, make sure you apply to USC! They’re also the part of Griffith provisional program

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi guys!
I'm really confused if I am applying in to the correct course? My knowledge is that in Griffith med, students complete 2 yrs of bachelor of med sci and enter doctor of med (GPA 5+) but there is no mention of doctor of medicine in the course name of my application...
View attachment 3853
Definitely correct. You actually can’t study a medical science bachelor at Griffith without having provisional entry, unlike other unis.

Yep those are the right ones. The provisional is the med sci degree

From the Griffith Website

Also, make sure you apply to USC! They’re also the part of Griffith provisional program
Thank you for your confirmation!!

Is there a reason why the minimum selection atar for USC is lower than that of Griffith although it is part of the Griffith provisional program?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thank you for your confirmation!!

Is there a reason why the minimum selection atar for USC is lower than that of Griffith although it is part of the Griffith provisional program?

Initially, we think (purely from MSO anecdotes) that a lot of people didn't actually know that USC was part of the group (it's a new offering and we had heaps of people saying the first they'd heard of it was here at MSO). Also, I think the undergrad part is 3 years, rather than the 2 at GC and Nathan campuses? (I might have made that last part up!)

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Initially, we think (purely from MSO anecdotes) that a lot of people didn't actually know that USC was part of the group (it's a new offering and we had heaps of people saying the first they'd heard of it was here at MSO). Also, I think the undergrad part is 3 years, rather than the 2 at GC and Nathan campuses? (I might have made that last part up!)

On the website it says 3 years so TIL - bit surprising that they dont make it 2 years like griffith. Maybe because USC runs semesters instead of griffiths trimesters?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor

On the website it says 3 years so TIL - bit surprising that they dont make it 2 years like griffith. Maybe because USC runs semesters instead of griffiths trimesters?
They’re also trimester based but presumably don’t offer the required subjects over the third trimester to allow students to accelerate a three year bachelor into two years? Just guessing here!

Hello, everyone. I'm a student studying a Bachelor of Medical Science degree at Griffith. I would like to ask if the grade in the bachelor's degree belongs to an important factor in choosing a future course along with MD's grade. Or as long as I get GPA 5.0 and get seamless entrance to MD course, my undergraduate grades won't bother me to much?

On Orientation day, I heard that for those who are continue study MD in Griffith will have the academic records unlike other students in different pathway, thus bachelor grade will be important. Is that a correct information?

In this case do you think I might need to take GAMSAT exam to enter MD course from another university? (my GPA is just over 5 since it won't be possible way to overwrite my grades)

Sorry if my question is silly one

Caffeine

Hello, everyone. I'm a student studying a Bachelor of Medical Science degree at Griffith. I would like to ask if the grade in the bachelor's degree belongs to an important factor in choosing a future course along with MD's grade. Or as long as I get GPA 5.0 and get seamless entrance to MD course, my undergraduate grades won't bother me to much?

On Orientation day, I heard that for those who are continue study MD in Griffith will have the academic records unlike other students in different pathway, thus bachelor grade will be important. Is that a correct information?

In this case do you think I might need to take GAMSAT exam to enter MD course from another university? (my GPA is just over 5 since it won't be possible way to overwrite my grades)

Sorry if my question is silly one
If you are in the guaranteed entry pathway , as long as you get the minimum grade it would be fine. Also is it 5 or 5.5 as the minimum ? [Maybe I'm confusing it with UQ] . The grade you get however does determine something else, if you are Bonded or not [Basically having to go rural for 3 years]. The cut-off was pretty high to not get bonded [Like 6. something]