Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

JMP JMP: General Entry Discussion

A1

Rookie Doc
Sorry if this has been asked before but how does JMP give out its 1st and 2nd round offers? Do they split the number of places between 1st round locals and 2nd round interstates and then have the 1st and 2nd round candidates compete separately for the spots or is it something more similar to unsw where anyone in the 2nd round who has an interview score higher than the lowest 1st round interview score get a place?

I don't know for sure but likely to be the former, because unlike UNSW JMP doesn't promise that interstates will have the same place cutoff as locals. They set aside a number of spots and if that's not enough (meaning higher cutoff) for 2nd round interviewees - tough luck. But I have seen in certain years some 1st round interviewees got a 2nd round offer, which meant they set aside more than enough for interstates and the surplus went back to locals.

Medco2019

Hi Can someone give some advice to find accommodation for 2 nights at Armidale. Flying to Armidale by myself and I need to catch a bus to where I stay and then go to the interview next day and go to the airport next day after the interview. Prefer a place where I can access public transport and a accommodation place where I can get take away food. Not sure whether there is public transport but taxis are expensive. Do they have Uber?thanks.

wobblepong

JCU MBBS IV
Hi Can someone give some advice to find accommodation for 2 nights at Armidale. Flying to Armidale by myself and I need to catch a bus to where I stay and then go to the interview next day and go to the airport next day after the interview. Prefer a place where I can access public transport and a accommodation place where I can get take away food. Not sure whether there is public transport but taxis are expensive. Do they have Uber?thanks.
You can stay on campus if you book through UNE's application portal!

ucatsyd

Hey guys - what happens when you have an exam on the same day as JMP interview? We have to change interview dates right - has anyone had experience with this in the past/know how it's done/are we able to do it?

Thanks !!

CristinaYang

Monash V 🐬
Newbie of the Year 2019
Hey guys - what happens when you have an exam on the same day as JMP interview? We have to change interview dates right - has anyone had experience with this in the past/know how it's done/are we able to do it?

Thanks !!
The email says that you might be able to change the date under exceptional circumstances but it’s not guaranteed. There’s still no harm in trying. My email says to email the UNE address but your invite should specify who you need to email/call.

ucatsyd

The email says that you might be able to change the date under exceptional circumstances but it’s not guaranteed. There’s still no harm in trying. My email says to email the UNE address but your invite should specify who you need to email/call.

Yep, but the thing is I have to change the interview, because the exam supplementary period is middle January 2020 which is when the offers come out- and I’ll need to sit the exam before 2020 to be eligible for most courses to make 1FTE (if that makes sense haha)

Ah out of all the dates my exam had to be on the interview date :/

Thanks !!

definitely just shoot them an email jmp is historically quite helpful with moving interviews and i moved my jmp interview this year with no issues at all (was also due to exams)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Yep, but the thing is I have to change the interview, because the exam supplementary period is middle January 2020 which is when the offers come out- and I’ll need to sit the exam before 2020 to be eligible for most courses to make 1FTE (if that makes sense haha)

Ah out of all the dates my exam had to be on the interview date :/
Do you mean the supp exam or the deferred exam? Supps are for when you failed the course but only by a small margin. The deferred will be held earlier than the supp.

p_body

Just to throw this out there, have there been any stories of rural candidates with fairly low UMAT percentiles (~50%) being able to get actual offers for medicine? I've been looking at the past offers and finding that this doesn't seem to be the case 😔

Kezza

Kevin
Just to throw this out there, have there been any stories of rural candidates with fairly low UMAT percentiles (~50%) being able to get actual offers for medicine? I've been looking at the past offers and finding that this doesn't seem to be the case 😔

I don't see why not? The score means nothing for whether you get an offer at JMP - as long you get an interview with your score (which 50th %ile is certainly inside the offer range as a rural candidate) then you are on equal footing with everyone else interviewing (well as a rural candidate you are at an advantage)

A1

Rookie Doc
I don't see why not? The score means nothing for whether you get an offer at JMP - as long you get an interview with your score (which 50th %ile is certainly inside the offer range as a rural candidate) then you are on equal footing with everyone else interviewing (well as a rural candidate you are at an advantage)

Adding to this to confirm - the year JMP's non-rural interview cutoff was 60 section 1 one student with 60/52/52, almost as low as it could get, got an offer even unbonded.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Look at our collated data and you will see that there are plenty. When you say "looking at past data" I'm not sure where you're talking about, because we certainly have them well-reported here, despite the fact we only get a very small portion of all the data out there:
UQ: 55th%ile
UNSW: 65th%ile
WSU: 63rd%ile
JMP: would go down to around 50th%ile previously, due to the way their UMAT system worked
UTAS: 50th%ile
UAdel: <50th %ile (raw score 145)
UWA: 63rd%ile and non-rural so rural would go much lower
Curtin: <50th %ile (raw score 145)

NOTE: the rural candidate with the raw UMAT score of 145 (<50th %ile) ended up with TWO offers (at least) and both were CSPs.

p_body

Look at our collated data and you will see that there are plenty. When you say "looking at past data" I'm not sure where you're talking about, because we certainly have them well-reported here, despite the fact we only get a very small portion of all the data out there:
UQ: 55th%ile
UNSW: 65th%ile
WSU: 63rd%ile
JMP: would go down to around 50th%ile previously, due to the way their UMAT system worked
UTAS: 50th%ile
UAdel: <50th %ile (raw score 145)
UWA: 63rd%ile and non-rural so rural would go much lower
Curtin: <50th %ile (raw score 145)

NOTE: the rural candidate with the raw UMAT score of 145 (<50th %ile) ended up with TWO offers (at least) and both were CSPs.

was looking specifically at the JMP but i guess i wasn't looking hard enough. my apologies.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
was looking specifically at the JMP but i guess i wasn't looking hard enough. my apologies.

Ahh, nah, my apologies then. Given the amount of people that get interviews for JMP, we really don't get very representative samples.
I can guarantee that interview invites went down to 50th%ile though, and that UMAT then never came back into calculation, and that will be the same for UCAT. If you have an interview invite, then your UCAT score is now irrelevant and you have as much chance as someone with a 99th%ile.

Kezza

Kevin
If you have an interview invite, then your UCAT score is now irrelevant and you have as much chance as someone with a 99th%ile.
I'd say statistically if you scored lower on your UCAT you have a better chance then someone with a 99th %ile.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I'd say statistically if you scored lower on your UCAT you have a better chance then someone with a 99th %ile.

So, you'd say, someone with, for example, 61st%ile, has more of a chance than the person with 99th? How does that work? (Genuine question, as I usually leave this kind of thing to A1).

A1

Rookie Doc

Why? There was a chart showing the high ATARs 98+ statistically are more prone to be found unsuitable by JMP's PQA, but that's unrelated to UCAT %ile.

Kezza

Kevin
So, you'd say, someone with, for example, 61st%ile, has more of a chance than the person with 99th? How does that work? (Genuine question, as I usually leave this kind of thing to A1).
I was referring to the article/paper which was published based on participants with a higher UMAT percentile not performing as well as people with lower scores. I know it was an older paper but it was more to develop some discussion.

Usually due to the stigma that students who are extremely bright often lack some of the social and emotional intelligences.