Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi,
i just got my 2020 UCAT score of 2820. I am from Western Sydney and non-standard with a 6.38 GPA (2nd year pre-med) (If you count the HDs i plan to get in sem 2 of 2020). Does it round to a 6.4 and am i competitive for UQ Dent?
Also would it be worth me doing another 2 units this semester to boost my GPA to a 6.5 so i can make the UQ Dent cut? Or could a 6.4 suffice with 2nd round interviews?
sorry i know a lot of Qs but any thoughts/ insight in response would be appreciated greatly =)
With a GPA below 6.5, you don’t meet the 99 rank hurdle, and you’re therefore ineligible for UQ dentistry. So yes, if you want to go to UQ for 2021 entry then you’ll need to do more units to lift your GPA.

As for your UCAT score, we aren’t answering the “what are my chances” questions until the percentile calculator is released.

sherri

With a GPA below 6.5, you don’t meet the 99 rank hurdle, and you’re therefore ineligible for UQ dentistry. So yes, if you want to go to UQ for 2021 entry then you’ll need to do more units to lift your GPA.

As for your UCAT score, we aren’t answering the “what are my chances” questions until the percentile calculator is released.
Hey Crow. I have a GPA 6.5 and am working through drafts of my written application for JCU dent. Would I have a chance at all there based on my GPA. Or is there no chance at all? I am working hard to make sure my application is the best I can do

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey Crow. I have a GPA 6.5 and am working through drafts of my written application for JCU dent. Would I have a chance at all there based on my GPA. Or is there no chance at all? I am working hard to make sure my application is the best I can do
Yep, 6.5 is definitely competitive for JCU dentistry - the written application will by far be the most important factor, so make sure you dedicate plenty of time to it!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

Your GPA is definitely competitive for JCU, but other than reassuring you of that, we can’t say much more because the written application component is so vital to interview/offer spots.

Jesus20

Ucatgirl
Hey there,
Im currently in my first year of uni
Im not too sure how my gpa will be counted:i have 2 HDs and 1 D and 1 C and the HD for my uni is above 85 not 80.
How would Jcu calculate my gpa?Cause using the gemsas calculator im 6.625 but I don't know how Jcu will consider my gpa.
Also for 1st year non standard will they take into account my gpa or atar or both?
Thanks so much in advance!

tdnii

Hey there,
Im currently in my first year of uni
Im not too sure how my gpa will be counted:i have 2 HDs and 1 D and 1 C and the HD for my uni is above 85 not 80.
How would Jcu calculate my gpa?Cause using the gemsas calculator im 6.625 but I don't know how Jcu will consider my gpa.
Also for 1st year non standard will they take into account my gpa or atar or both?
Thanks so much in advance!
28CDE00F-6C71-4EC9-B714-E031D0489DE7.png

Jesus20

Ucatgirl
View attachment 3836
Thank you so much!
Do you know what the cut off for Jcu dentistry has been in the past?
Im afraid with 2 HDs and 1 D and 1 C that my gpa when Jcu calculate it will be 6.25, even though its a 6.625 using gemsas calculation.
Will my current university make the calculation based on gemsas or just send the transcript for JCU to calculate it?
Thank you heaps!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thank you so much!
Im afraid with 2 HDs and 1 D and 1 C that my gpa when Jcu calculate it will be 6.25, even though its a 6.625 using gemsas calculation.
Will my current university make the calculation based on gemsas or just send the transcript for JCU to calculate it?
Thank you heaps!
GEMSAS is completely separate from the undergraduate universities. Your transcript will be automatically sent to QTAC for GPA calculation.

Jesus20

Ucatgirl
GEMSAS is completely separate from the undergraduate universities. Your transcript will be automatically sent to QTAC for GPA calculation.
Makes sense!Thank you!
Would you happen to know the gpa cut off for past years for dentistry at Jcu?

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
Your GPA will be 6.25. Undergrad non-standard entry/Tertiary Admission Centers take the letter grades and not marks to calculate an unweighted GPA, I'm not sure how you would of calculated a GEMSAS GPA given that you havent had 3 years of tertiary study?

( 7 + 7 + 6 + 5 )/4 = 6.25

tdnii

Thank you so much!
Thank you heaps!
like Crow said gemsas is mainly for postgrad entry.
I am not sure about the past cut off, but you should be able to check the offer data for the past few yrs shared by other members in this forum.
the general discussion of JCU dentistry has lots of information as well, for JCU I think personal statement plays an important role in the application.

slvrplme

Lurker
About to start doing some applications and was just wondering if I had to declare ALL tertiary course (complete or incomplete). Recently finished off a degree with a decent gpa, but old degree was a mess- will I have to include that as well?

Cal

vibe
About to start doing some applications and was just wondering if I had to declare ALL tertiary course (complete or incomplete). Recently finished off a degree with a decent gpa, but old degree was a mess- will I have to include that as well?
Yes, you have to include all past tertiary experience. The universities you apply to will have policy on which they will include (which is usually the latest of the experience, if 1 FTE or more)

Hi guys!
Was wondering if it's more difficult to transfer into UQ dentistry as a 2nd year uni student as opposed to being a school leaver. Eg, would i need a higher UCAT score/GPA than school leavers to get in?

A1

Rookie Doc
Hi guys!
Was wondering if it's more difficult to transfer into UQ dentistry as a 2nd year uni student as opposed to being a school leaver. Eg, would i need a higher UCAT score/GPA than school leavers to get in?

I believe UQ dent applies a Rank 99 hurdle (ATAR 99.0+ GPA 6.5+) then place offers are based solely on UCAT. So only more difficult than for school leavers if your GPA isn't 6.5+.