Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions Thread #2: 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I was wondering what my chances for receiving an interview offer at the unis in wa, sa, vic and tas were.
I'm non rural, got an atar of 99.60 and a umat of 85

are you from victoria? i think vic's interview has completed yesterday and today's was interview for IBs applicants
Interstate interview offer will be released week of 12 Jan for interviews in week of 21 Jan
hope it helps

Hi there,
I was wondering what my chances for receiving an interview offer at the unis in wa, sa, vic and tas were.
I'm non rural, got an atar of 99.60 and a umat of 85

you'd probably get one from uwa - someone got an unbonded place offer with identical atar and a umat in the high 70s a couple years back, so unless the threshold has drastically increased i'd say an interview offer is more likely than unlikely

you'd probably get one from uwa - someone got an unbonded place offer with identical atar and a umat in the high 70s a couple years back, so unless the threshold has drastically increased i'd say an interview offer is more likely than unlikely

NG actually received an unbonded UWA offer this year with 99.60 and UMAT 72, so I'd be surprised if lois didn't receive an interview.

Last edited:
In my UAC preferences, I have JMP then UNSW then WSU. If I was lucky enough to get JMP, am I able to call UNSW and WSU to see if I would be qualified for their offer too? Is this something I could call them about, or expect an email from them about this?

Definitely don't expect an email from them. There'd be nothing stopping you calling, but I can't imagine they'd appreciate it all that much given the loads of calls they receive at this time of the year. I also can't imagine they'd give you this information. Your only option would be to swap out your preferences for the next UAC round.

Does anyone have advice for MMI interviews (for med school entrance and beyond)?
I've done around 10-15 interviews in the past couple of years, including job and med interviews. I feel a lot more comfortable with panel interviews and it shows with the uni offers I get. I like building rapport, being able to lead the conversation, etc.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong in MMIs? It could be so many things e.g. lack of structure, poor content, nerves and saying stuff which doesn't make sense, interviewers who look so incredibly bored and never crack a smile...
I think interviews (panel and MMI) are a part of life, so what can I do to improve for MMIs? I guess the obvious solution is to do more MMIs but that's not viable

Just a question of interest - as JMP only has 1 round of offers, how do they know how many people will accept/reject? Does exact cohort size not matter?

Just a question of interest - as JMP only has 1 round of offers, how do they know how many people will accept/reject? Does exact cohort size not matter?

Interested in this too. I’ve heard JMP and UNSW offer more places than available in their first round in order to account for people not accepting offers, but what happens if everyone accepts their offer? Aren’t they legally restricted for how many spots they can have?

Hey does anyone know how enrolment works? I already have an offer for utas but I'm waiting to hear from other unis. If I don't enrol in utas will I lose my seat? And if I do, does it void me from enrolling elsewhere?
I'd imagine your offer letter would've stated when you needed to enrol by if it was part of your conditions - LMG! will confirm.
Does anyone have advice for MMI interviews (for med school entrance and beyond)?
I've done around 10-15 interviews in the past couple of years, including job and med interviews. I feel a lot more comfortable with panel interviews and it shows with the uni offers I get. I like building rapport, being able to lead the conversation, etc.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong in MMIs? It could be so many things e.g. lack of structure, poor content, nerves and saying stuff which doesn't make sense, interviewers who look so incredibly bored and never crack a smile...
I think interviews (panel and MMI) are a part of life, so what can I do to improve for MMIs? I guess the obvious solution is to do more MMIs but that's not viable
Broad question. Why do you think you've gone wrong in MMIs? Offers for most universities that run MMIs are yet to come out yet, aren't they?
Aren’t they legally restricted for how many spots they can have?
The universities have a history from past admissions cycles of making offers and then having a significant number of declines - they have data from enough years now to know roughly how many candidates are going to decline based off what has historically happened. Yes, the government dictates how many CSP places a university is allowed to offer. Recently there have been a few occurrences where universities have over-offered and they've had a higher number of acceptances than anticipated - each time the response from the university has been sending out an email to see if students will defer their offer to the following year +/- offering an incentive (usually a financial contribution towards the applicants' HECS) to do so.

Moderator Note
Please note this thread is - as the title suggests - for quick questions. If you want to chat with your other fellow med/dent applicants you are more than welcome to do so (and we encourage it), but please do so in the appropriate threads so other applicants' questions (and their subsequent answers) do not get buried amongst other discussion. For the JMP, use this thread: UNE/UON JMP hopefuls 2019 If there is no 2019 thread for the specific university you'd like to chat to other applicants (+/- recipients of offers) about, you are welcome to create one in the Specific University Forums sub-forum (or ask a staff member to do so).

Thank you!

Wishing all applicants the very best of luck with upcoming interviews and offers.

I called JMP today and they said they might have a 2nd round

Since JMP will hold round 2 interviews for interstate non-rural applicants there definitely will be a 2nd round of offers. The question is whether the school will include round 1 interviewees into this lot. Based on last year at JMP and common practices at other schools it's yes. If the round 2 interviewees don't perform well enough to take up all the spots set aside for them the surplus will be back offered to round 1 interviewees.

Hey does anyone know how enrolment works? I already have an offer for utas but I'm waiting to hear from other unis. If I don't enrol in utas will I lose my seat? And if I do, does it void me from enrolling elsewhere?

Your UTAS offer will definitely have an expiry date. Others have reported theirs to be Jan 18th, but check yours to be sure. Yes, it will be voided if you do not enrol on time. No, it will not prevent you from accepting offers elsewhere. If you do enrol at UTAS and then later not want to attend, you will need to withdraw immediately to ensure your place can go to the next in line and prevent you being charged fees. Accepting and then withdrawin is a common and easily completed process.

Since JMP will hold round 2 interviews for interstate non-rural applicants there definitely will be a 2nd round of offers. The question is whether the school will include round 1 interviewees into this lot. Based on last year at JMP and common practices at other schools it's yes. If the round 2 interviewees don't perform well enough to take up all the spots set aside for them the surplus will be back offered to round 1 interviewees.
Last year I think what was reported was different for JMP. Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I feel like someone contacted the medical school and was told that the first round interviewers would only get the first offer round and afterwards all offers would be from the second round interviewers.

Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I feel like someone contacted the medical school and was told that the first round interviewers would only get the first offer round and afterwards all offers would be from the second round interviewers.

Harry Warren was a NSW applicant who did round 1 interview in Nov then got a 2nd round offer on 31st January last year
> Med and Dent - 2018 Entry (Place Offers and Discussion)

This happens when, at the point offers to round 2 interviewees reach the same interview-score cutoff as round 1, they still have say 10 spots available. Offering all these 10 spots only to round 2 interviewees (now below round 1's cutoff) would be unfair. The correct process is to offer to whoever next in line regardless of their interview round.

Harry Warren was a NSW applicant who did round 1 interview in Nov then got a 2nd round offer on 31st January last year
> Med and Dent - 2018 Entry (Place Offers and Discussion)

This happens when, at the point offers to round 2 interviewees reach the same interview-score cutoff as round 1, they still have say 10 spots available. Offering all these 10 spots only to round 2 interviewees (now below round 1's cutoff) would be unfair. The correct process is to offer to whoever next in line regardless of their interview round.
Perhaps it was different in practice but a user called and supposedly received this response: Med and Dent - 2018 Entry (Place Offers and Discussion)

Perhaps it was different in practice but a user called and supposedly received this response: Med and Dent - 2018 Entry (Place Offers and Discussion)

Unless going into fine details that advice is correct in general terms - the spots set aside for 2nd round offers are intended for round 2 interviewees. But as I mentioned above, if the round 2 interviewees under-perform compared to round 1 they don't fill up thus don't deserve to get all the set-aside spots.

I am an interstate student with ATAR 99.55 and UMAT 186. I also received an email this morning saying I did not meet the additional selection criteria for 'Pref 1 428000 B MedMD or B Arts/B MedMD at UNSW 18 Feb 2019 (Course type: CSP)'. Is there still hope for second round interviews?

I am an interstate student with ATAR 99.55 and UMAT 186. I also received an email this morning saying I did not meet the additional selection criteria for 'Pref 1 428000 B MedMD or B Arts/B MedMD at UNSW 18 Feb 2019 (Course type: CSP)'. Is there still hope for second round interviews?

that combo should get you an interview tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back