Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions Thread #2: 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

lblue

I'd call them on Monday. Have you received any correspondence from UAC on the actual application website?
No, nothing at all since dec round for science degree, but I've already removed that from my preferences so that shouldn't have caused any issues.
Thanks for the advice :)

Congrats to all those getting offers! I am wondering how many interstate interviewees Monash invites and how many places they offer? I have had a bad history with interviews and I guess I would like a rough idea of how well I would have to perform to get offered a place. I'm not sure if it is worth the cost to go there if my chances are low. My ATAR was 99.80 and UMAT 97 percentile (193: 65/58/70)
Thanks a lot!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
My ATAR was 99.80 and UMAT 97 percentile (193: 65/58/70)
With these scores you'd definitely be in the top half (I'd imagine at least top 25% but A1 can probably be more accurate) of interviewees, so you're definitely in with a shot for a place offer with a reasonable interview performance. Provided you actually want to go to Monash and don't have any other place offers already that you'd prefer to Monash, you should absolutely be attending the interview! Good luck :)

1234med

Can someone explain why I'm on the interview reserve list for UWA, given that NG was offered a place with 164 (72nd%ile), 65/50/60, 99.60 and my scores are higher?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Can someone explain why I'm on the interview reserve list for UWA, given that NG was offered a place with 164 (72nd%ile), 65/50/60, 99.60 and my scores are higher?
Not sure if I'm missing something but I assume the interview reserve list is just a waitlist for place offers? If so, would it not just be that NG scored higher in the interview (a key component of selection) than you?

With these scores you'd definitely be in the top half (I'd imagine at least top 25% but A1 can probably be more accurate) of interviewees, so you're definitely in with a shot for a place offer with a reasonable interview performance. Provided you actually want to go to Monash and don't have any other place offers already that you'd prefer to Monash, you should absolutely be attending the interview! Good luck :)
Cool thanks! (Guessing I really have to try not mess up again D: the nerves have been taking over every interview and I really need to get over them somehow :/ )

1234med

Not sure if I'm missing something but I assume the interview reserve list is just a waitlist for place offers? If so, would it not just be that NG scored higher in the interview (a key component of selection) than you?
Nope, sorry I wasn't clear. Interview reserve list is for interviews, not for place offers

1234med

Yeah exactly, which is why I don't get it haha! I've emailed them back, not sure what's going on. Either way, thank you crow!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Cool thanks! (Guessing I really have to try not mess up again D: the nerves have been taking over every interview and I really need to get over them somehow :/ )
I unfortunately don't have too much to offer other than highly recommending you chat to other applicants before your interview to try and calm the nerves. Hopefully the MMI format will be in your favour as you'll be able to (hopefully) get the nerves out of the way in the first couple of stations and re-set yourself between stations if you have a less than ideal one.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Generally speaking, would anyone happen to know how many IB interviewees at UNSW there are and how many they'd give a place offer to?
There is no separate quota for IB students, so you have the same chance as someone who did non-IB year 12 with the same ATAR and UMAT as you.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
Sorry for the double post from the other forum. Could someone fill me in about the UNSW selection process? It is to my understanding that UNSW uses all 3 criterions (ATAR, UMAT, INTERVIEW) in equal proportions in their offer selection, I've also heard something about the use z-scores and normal distributions? Given that my UMAT (181/91%ile) and ATAR (99.85) are on the lower end of the spectrum of interviewees, it seems that with my UMAT pulling me down, I am disadvantaged from the outset compared to the "average" candidate with a 50/50 chance, is this true?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Sorry for the double post from the other forum. Could someone fill me in about the UNSW selection process? It is to my understanding that UNSW uses all 3 criterions (ATAR, UMAT, INTERVIEW) in equal proportions in their offer selection, I've also heard something about the use z-scores and normal distributions? Given that my UMAT (181/91%ile) and ATAR (99.85) are on the lower end of the spectrum of interviewees, it seems that with my UMAT pulling me down, I am disadvantaged from the outset compared to the "average" candidate with a 50/50 chance, is this true?
Read Ruffle's post here for a great explanation: Quick Questions Thread #2: 2018-2019

A1

Rookie Doc
Congrats to all those getting offers! I am wondering how many interstate interviewees Monash invites and how many places they offer? I have had a bad history with interviews and I guess I would like a rough idea of how well I would have to perform to get offered a place. I'm not sure if it is worth the cost to go there if my chances are low. My ATAR was 99.80 and UMAT 97 percentile (193: 65/58/70)

Based on number of sessions and MMI circuits I estimate Monash invites 80-100 interstate applicants (but quite a few didn't turn up in my year). They set aside around 40 places to offer to this round.

As Crow already wrote your chances are quite high, better than 50/50 if not upward of 70% chance.

Lurker
Hi all, does anyone know if this is any indication of my chances for a late round offer?

No offers have yet been made to the following:

• Pref 1 428000 B MedMD or B Arts/B MedMD at UNSW 18 Feb 2019 (Course type: CSP)

BethMark25

WSU MBBS II
Hi all, does anyone know if this is any indication of my chances for a late round offer?

No offers have yet been made to the following:

• Pref 1 428000 B MedMD or B Arts/B MedMD at UNSW 18 Feb 2019 (Course type: CSP)

To me that sounds more promising than others who have received notes for JMP saying they didn't meet the requirements. However as @LMG has mentioned (quoted below) the UAC codes have been unreliable in the past, so I wouldn't put much weight on it.

Lyyrre I honestly don't really trust the UAC codes so if there is any confusion about your status I'd be contacting the university to clarify. Last year I had the code you've listed second re. not meeting qualification requirements, despite having a GPA of 7.00, a UMAT of 98th%ile, and going on to receive an offer, so it didn't mean anything useful.

A1

Rookie Doc
Haha would you and Crow be able to do the same for me too please? I'm non rural, 99.10 atar and 99% umat (71/73/58). Pretty sure I'll be in the lower half of applicants, but how good would my performance have to be to be in with a great chance of an offer? I've got monash as my first preference. Thanks

99.10/99th%ile put you around average among the interviewees, so roughly 40% chance for Monash?

lois

Lurker
are you from victoria? i think vic's interview has completed yesterday and today's was interview for IBs applicants
Interstate interview offer will be released week of 12 Jan for interviews in week of 21 Jan
hope it helps
No I'm not from victoria, from nsw

NG actually received an unbonded UWA offer this year with 99.60 and UMAT 72, so I'd be surprised if lois didn't receive an interview.
I apparently am on the 'academic reserve list' so I suppose we will see..

Last edited by a moderator:

Arbra5934

Hey quick question,
I got an IB 40 (atar 98.25) I was wondering how realistic it would be to get into bond university for medicine with this score?
I see they advertise 97+ but i've heard that its not realistic to get in at this score, and was just wondering if this is truly the case.
Thank-you

Status
Not open for further replies.